Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spiritmaze

Does playing Doom actually make you more intelligent?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I think playing Doom, especially the puzzle-centric and labyrinthine maps, stimulates the mental faculties. I purposefully don't use computer maps for the purpose of increasing this effect, forcing me to remember complex pathways or do more exploration.

What are other's views on this?

Also, what would be the best examples of some wads that would fit the above description? I'm thinking Eternal Doom as an obvious candidate..

Doom has made me better at resource management (i.e. ammo conservation), thinking ahead, and gave me better reaction time and reflexes even in reality. Well, maybe games in general for all of those but I've mostly played Doom and pretty much only play Doom these days.

Has Doom made me smarter? No, not really. But my reaction time got better and Doom promotes thinking outside the box. That alone helps me think beyond the obvious.

To me, the computer map is useless. Most maps that are good have unique areas that help you remember or sometimes the path is just obvious, even if it doesn't seem like it.

Interestingly, I don't really remember much of my playthroughs. Everything's a blur full of shooting, running and flicking switches. 

I don't think Doom made me smarter, but I will agree with everything said before me.

I am able now to conserve my ammo very well, when in other games I would spam my weapon until everything was dead.

Also, thanks to Doom, I think I have developed my tactics to a certain degree. Every time I play a map in Doom, I remember the key parts of the map, depending on how much I will replay it and I prioritize some monsters over the others (a simple example would be Arch-Vile over Mancubus). Plus I need to know when is the right moment to use a powerup to its full potential. And when I have to take damage, in order to escape a bad situation, I will eat up the projectile that inflicts less damage. 

Not to mention, my reflexes got better with time, as I needed them in the fast gameplay of Doom.

Other than that, searching for secrets is a major point. I began with pressing the Use button on the walls a million times, but then I would search for the little differences in the architecture of the level, which made me appreciate the level design a lot more and I always got rewarded with a useful for my playthrough item.

From my point of view, intelligence is nothing that can be increased at its "base". You can practice to make better use of the resources you're given, you can develop methods which allow you to filter what's important and what's not (creating something like a multi-tasking-ish ability in regards to this game, or gaming in general), but your baseline of intelligence is something you'll have a hard time increasing to begin with.

Playing games which rely a lot on movement, or the anticipation thereof, can be a way of training these abilities, making you a better player. This does not mean a better player is more intelligent, or that a newbie is merely a well-dressed caveman, for that matter. I've seen people whose IQ I'd estimate to be +30 below mine (which does not mean they were below the 100 IQ margin), playing this game at a relatively impressive level of skill and pace. That being said, you can compensate for a "lack of intelligence", by way of practice and knowing things ahead of time. On a side note, no matter how intelligent you are, there are maps which require knowledge of things ahead of time anyways, because they put you in really complex scenarios, which have to be figured out before you could even hope to make it through.

When it comes to the application of ingame-skills in real life scenarios, having better trained reflexes, a better developed hand-to-eye coordination etc, you need to ask yourself how much of these things can be applied to begin with, and, if so, to what kind of degree. The ability to strafe dodge intricate mancubi bombardments doesn't do you any good in a car that can't sidestrafe, to employ a rather "durrrrr" example.

TL;DR: Don't confuse practice and experience with intelligence.

Doom has made me incredibly intelligent. Although I'll happily disregard claims of better spatial awareness, resource management, risk assessment and that old chestnut duo of reactions plus hand-eye coordination, it has helped out immensely with my vocabulary. Or to be precise, streamlining it to just two essential words - the only pair of verbs I'll ever need in any situation. Indeed, by the year 2020 I hope only to be able to loudly grunt the words "rip" and "tear". Such a noble ambition.

Doom exercises the brain in such a way which keeps you sharp on many levels. As mentioned above - Good for memory, good for hand eye coordination, good for strategy. The brain degenerates if it's not used and I'm just wondering if Doom provides the player with useful mental exercises which keeps the brain healthy.

More importantly, could Doom be a cure for alzheimers in the deteriorating brains of the elderly? I'm thinking medical applications.  

7 minutes ago, spiritmaze said:

More importantly, could Doom be a cure for alzheimers in the deteriorating brains of the elderly? I'm thinking medical applications.  

Could be. If music can do it, why not for a game?

14 minutes ago, spiritmaze said:

Define elderly please.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I've seen people whose IQ I'd estimate to be +30 below mine (which does not mean they were below the 100 IQ margin), playing this game at a relatively impressive level of skill and pace.

Oh yeah? I've seen people whose IQ is probably a tenth of mine (doesn't mean they are below the 350 IQ margin) playing Doom very well.

Edited by rdwpa

Doom caused brain ta git bigger. now i gotta wear button shirts cuz ma hed dont fit the neck opens.

Intelligence I believe is generally measured through an aptitude test, so literally, no. However ive played Doom with the sound/music off with an audiobook or college lecture in the background. The heightened awareness while playing the game helped me absorb the information better than if I were staring off into space. Also playing older wads with complex puzzles and confusing layouts probably makes solving problems a little faster. Sometimes I find after a few hours of Doom, ill get in my car and go for a drive and still be on revenant missile dodging alert, so I can anticipate what the traffic is going to be doing 3-4 cars ahead.

I'd argue it probably has some mental benefits, but overall, playing Doom 6 hours a day could potentially do some physical harm, like eye strain and poor posture and a neglect for more pressing obligations. For those reasons I wouldn't advise to pick Doom over a college course or a lunch date with Lawrence Krause.

I think DooM is good enhancing your patient (labyrinths), reflexes (dodge fireballs) and control the tension at bad moments, like hordes of cyberdemons around you. I forgot to mention one of the more important things: control your anger against archviles if you don´t have any wall to evade the fire attack.

Estimating others' level of intellect based around casual meetings seems a humorous task, as does relying on a number to determine how smart you are.

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

Oh yeah? I've seen people whose IQ is probably a tenth of mine (doesn't mean they are below the 350 IQ margin) playing Doom very well.

Notable geniuses don't have IQs even close to 350, and I doubt you do either. Being gud at doulm doesn't magically increase a person's intelligence.

2 minutes ago, Megalyth said:

Notable geniuses don't have IQs even close to 350, and I doubt you do either. Being gud at doulm doesn't magically increase a person's intelligence.

I think rd's comment was purely a joke on what he quoted, given it was worded about the same ;D

I was a genius and super-student until I opened winDEU5.21 and then I dropped out of life in general

2 hours ago, spiritmaze said:

More importantly, could Doom be a cure for alzheimers in the deteriorating brains of the elderly? I'm thinking medical applications

Hypothetically, you could use any game that allows for memorization of things for this exact purpose. I wouldn't quite agree with using Doom however, because I'd think there are games which should serve this purpose in a more efficient manner.

As a personal example, I used to play some of the older super mario games with my grandmother when I was like 10 years or so. She was 64 at the time. She knew the levels like the back of her hand, all of them, however when things got a bit more hectic (The hammer throwing turtles come to mind) she usually started making mistakes when something unexpected happened, and she got a somewhat nasty pattern. Now she's 82 (Had birthday yesterday :-)), and the last time we played, which was like half a year ago, she didn't even get that far anymore, in spite of still knowing all the things ahead of time.

I think Doom is a more dynamic game than SMB, so it's probably a good idea to look for something less dynamic. On the other hand, if we assume that there were maps designed in such a way that they keep dynamics at a minimum, while allowing for the memorization of things by way of shapes, colour-codes and the likes, doom might be just the "right game".

1 hour ago, spiritmaze said:

I think all of these intelligent responses kind of proves my point.

Doom is brain food

Unless you play on a treadmill (I'd like to see Linguica do that. He ran a marathon recently, so he is qualified for the job), or look at things like DanceDanceRevolution, any video game is purely "brain food".

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

I've seen people whose IQ is probably a tenth of mine

0 x 1/10 = 0, sorry :]

Regarding my own self, I am firmly convinced that interacting with a computer program designed for providing satisfactional feelings can not influence an individual's mental capacities.

(I'm bad at smart talk, damn.)

3 hours ago, Fonze said:

I think rd's comment was purely a joke on what he quoted, given it was worded about the same ;D

Looking back at how I worded that, I deserved that joke I suppose.... I came across very stuck up... Sorry...

Lol. I don't think most people care; text can be a rough medium. Still, at least you can take a step back and think if you said/did something that could have been better or whatever; lotta people either lack that skill or aren't partial to exercising it. But it also helps us to maintain a good sense of humor about ourselves :) Shouldn't laugh at others if we can't laugh at ourselves, after all.

I decided earlier against comparing your quote to a mental version of an appendage-measuring contest and I regret that now because it's both a spot-on analogy and the mental image of it is just funny, but I'd just like to gift everyone with that picture for whenever somebody actually does try to hold their "intelligence" (or whatever) over others. (I know your response wasn't meant to come across like that)

37 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Looking back at how I worded that, I deserved that joke I suppose.... I came across very stuck up... Sorry...

Don't be glum about it. It was just gentle ribbing. :)