Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Eagle Speedmapping Session 2 - King Double!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wo06d97fqvwoiev/Derivatives.wad?dl=0

Map Name: Derivatives

Build Time: 3 hours

Theme: Twisted Base (E2)

Midi: March of the Fire Ants by Mastodon. Included in WAD as D_RUNNIN.

I was able to finish the map so it is playable and has enough resources, perhaps even to many since I was the balancing factor, to kill all demons. I am much happier with this map than last month's entry, though it's certainly no masterpiece.

i'm not even done playtesting I just want to get this out here, it might be good to go but i'll keep testing to be sure

a pound of spaghetti: poundofspaghetti3.zip

build time: 3 hours 5 minutes

theme: heck

midi: something called lazuli, from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuSlUlAB_KQ

EDIT: finished! updated the link.

edit edit: updated the link again

Edited by bonnie

Should be good now.

Name: "A Handful of Chicken Wings"

Build Time: three hours and 18 minutes.

Midi: Map 03 valiant, "window" by Stewboy

Edited by everennui

51 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

Well, here it is. My first ever Doom map completed!

Well alright! I wasn't going to miss out on playing—wait hold up, is that a 7z and not a zip file? Tsk tsk Suitepee, your first mistake.

Map was neat for what it was. I had always wondered what type of map you'd design; from your previous streams it seemed you were mostly concerned with making monster brawls, and this map supports my hypothesis. Layout and detail is pretty spartan, which I suppose is acceptable for your first speedmap. The map is essentially split into three encounters: the opening zombie posse, the BK brawl, and the YK fight. The YK is better than the BK IMO—the BK is a bit awkward with only the shotgun but the room is perfectly circle-strafeable, even if a tad awkward due to its unorthodox angles (I was tickled pink to see you use revenants!) The YK is more fun and tricky for the player, circle strafing doing little to help the player against the sergeants. Unfortunately both encounters can be fled from which makes retreating the dominant strategy, since the enemies will get bottlenecked in the starting room corridor. Thought the "trick" to getting to the exit was mildly clever, though I wish more had been done with that.

Hey, you finally have a map released, congrats!

1 hour ago, Suitepee said:

Well, here it is. My first ever Doom map completed! With a lot of help from both the Discord of this session and my livestream chat....

Name: The Search For God

Build Time: 2 and a half hours.

Music: E3M3 music from Ultimate Doom. ("Deep Into The Code")

Theme: Episode 3 of Ultimate Doom.

Tested in both PRBoom+ and GZDoom v2.3.2. Was inspired by map 5 of coopbuilddm.wad (The Tubesteak) to some extent.

eagle2.7z

I look forward to hearing all the feedback from this map, and to playing the complied wad as soon as possible on my livestream!

UV-Max speedrun for your map.

Spoiler

The timer for the YK release is probably a bit too slow. Welcome to the ranks of mappers. :) 

Just now, rdwpa said:

(I had to rename the filename because of the periods, to play the demo back.) 

Thanks, that's good to know.  The periods work on my Windows 10, though, so i'm probably gonna keep my naming scheme for now.

@Suitepee

Pacifist run:

I played it twice before. The first time I didn't notice the switch in the BK room. The second time I maxed it in 3:45.

My only real complaint was that there's too much health. I liked the idea. The textures were pretty good.

I did not expect that many teleports! Nice.

FZ5a9zh.png

Holy smokes; a UV-Max run, a sneaky wall-riding speedrun, a Dobu GM writeup and a Pacifist run of my map all within the first few hours?!?!!? It feels so weird to see my own map on a Youtube video; it's going to feel even weirder if I ever see anyone livestream it.

Thanks for all your feedback so far, I will attempt to address them all in due course via a Youtube video or livestream, since I'm pretty hyped to have gotten my first map out. I hope people find it enjoyable! (I also look forward to livestreaming the complied wad of this asap)

@bonnie My dearest friend, I keep running out of munitions right before second archvile. I tried using the SSG sparingly, but it was for naught.

Also getting overwhelmed by those imps and falling in the pit was a great design choice!

@NecrumWarrior lots of doors. Wasn't a huge fan of the texturing above the picture frames and doors. It felt a little too copy/paste. I did like the entryway to Hell though that was cool and could be expanded on.

@Walter confetti the door to the switch that raises the gate for the RK doesn't open. 

Edited by everennui

28 minutes ago, everennui said:

@bonnie My dearest friend, I keep running out of munitions right before second archvile. I tried using the SSG sparingly, but it was for naught.

updated version: poundofspaghetti3.zip

i added more ammo (mostly before the 2nd archvile) but some more sprinkled around the map as well as a new secret (shh dont tell nobody though) that will give a moderate reward of ammo to those who find it, and i also fixed 2 spots where i had the wrong brightness and it looked weird as butts

28 minutes ago, everennui said:

Also getting overwhelmed by those imps and falling in the pit was a great design choice!

i'm sorry you didn't like those things, i panic while speedmapping and make poor decisions :(

edit: unless you mean falling in a pit as in a massive bug of some sort that i missed? like a pit with a badboy in it that never raises or something

2 minutes ago, everennui said:

I did like it. After the teleport across the gap. The imps put good pressure on you.

it seemed really sarcastic so i thought you were mocking me ;~;

@everennui thanks for the feedback! I did abuse the copypasta, yeah. I had sort of a slow start as I wasnt feeling the inspiration at first, but once I had an idea I just ran with it. I would have liked to have done more with the holes to hell, and maybe I'll rip off that idea for a map at a later time. 

I finished in the allotted time and didn't just vomit things all over my map though so I'm happy. 

10 minutes ago, NecrumWarrior said:

I had sort of a slow start as I wasnt feeling the inspiration at first

i literally used the phrase "a pound of spaghetti" as inspiration for my map and it allowed me to get atleast 3 times as much work done thank you friend

I'll give everyone's maps a try tomorrow. I've had a splitting headache pretty much since I got back home. Maybe by the time I get off work the build will be up. 

I don't know of my map is playable to the general public so can somebody look into it? 

Compiled wad in about six hours. 

@DoomLover234

The map is fully playable. I did not notice any significant difficulties. I passed the map without ever having been saved. Although the moments with the spawn of hitscanners, quite tense. The very first fight, after the elevator, too. Probably, I just got lucky. The architect is very diverse for a map made in 2 hours.

@everennui Theme of the map? (Pinchy is obviously Hell)

Also I've made changes to @bonnie's first map - I made the door leading out of the blue key room open when you grab the key itself so you don't get stuck, and in @Walter confetti's map, I've made the Teleport Destination face the door behind the player so that he knows it has opened, because it's confusing if you can't see it has opened.

Edited by DoomLover234

Thanks

3 hours ago, DoomLover234 said:

@Walter confetti's map, I've made the Teleport Destination face the door behind the player so that he knows it has opened, because it's confusing if you can't see it has opened.

Thanks for the fixing! 

Actually i've fixed that door issue with some other minor works just some moments ago and i've uploaded it, but now seems to be useless lol.

Downloaded the beta compilation, if there's some issues i'll telling you!

Wow... I didn't know it was possible but this session is even worse that previous one. Every map (except maybe Forli's 2nd map) was terrible, with ugly visuals and terrible monster placement. I'm out of this sunken ship.

There are no compiling errors so at least that's good.

TO DO LIST (this post will be edited)

- Arachnotrons are stuck on Necrumwarrior's map

18 minutes ago, AnonimVio said:

Wow... I didn't know it was possible but this session is even worse that previous one. Every map (except maybe Forli's 2nd map) was terrible, with ugly visuals and terrible monster placement. I'm out of this sunken ship.

There are no compiling errors so at least that's good.

Hmm, that's maybe a bit too harsh. There isn't any "Tectonic Arachnotronic" sequel here anyway. I don't judge any map on visuals, but I do feel the need to say your map isn't a shining star either. Specifically, in E2 of Doom, there was a lot of playing with the shapes and monsters, which I kinda went for in my own map. Everybody does what they like and what they feel would most fit into the episode the theme is based on, and although there are a few weaker maps, it's alright all in all.

The order of the maps is as follows:

MAP01 - Recontamination Area                     - Forli           - only E1 themed map, moderate difficulty and length
MAP02 - Sandy and the Nuking Machine             - Walter confetti - easiest and shortest E2 map
MAP03 - Derivatives                              - NecrumWarrior   - a bit harder and a bit longer
MAP04 - Ur-Anus Base                             - DoomLover234    - harder and longer
MAP05 - Quick Corruption                         - Forli           - shorter, but much harder
MAP06 - Morenka Sweet Night                      - AnonimVio       - very short but difficulty is pretty much unfair
MAP07 - Quick Jim                                - NEANDERTHAL     - shortest and easiest E3 map
MAP08 - A Handful of Chicken Wings               - Everennui       - same length, a bit harder
MAP09 - Doom in a Nutshell (but Poorly Executed) - Surreily        - longer and more difficult
MAP10 - Hellstar                                 - Pinchy          - shorter, but more difficult
MAP11 - The Search for God                       - Suitepee        - same length, a tiny bit harder
MAP12 - Speedmap #05                             - StormCatcher.77 - again, same length, bit harder
MAP13 - A Pound of Spaghetti                     - Bonnie          - longest map of the set, but not really that much harder than MAP12
MAP14 - Temple of Heck                           - Bonnie          - shorter, but a bit harder and more "grand"

Just now, DoomLover234 said:

I don't judge any map on visuals, but I do feel the need to say your map isn't a shining star either.

I know, I literally said that in my map post.