Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Do you miss the old Doomworld?

The old site didn't kill my phone battery like this one does. Chasing likes and reputation and followers is addictive though :(

11 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

The answer that you seek lies in the avatar to the left

edit: 800th post omg

Only 200 left untill the 1000th!!!

In this forum you can get likes,followers,write status updates,upload screenshots without imgur(for example). This forum software is not that bad. Only thing I really miss is post hell,but it's not big deal anymore. Everything is changing,even if we don't want things to change. 

Edited by MysteriousHaruko

I miss the speed of the old forum - the new software still seems a bit sluggish - but otherwise no.

I cannot say I like the new forum software. It emphasizes exactly the things that should not be relevant in a forum. And it's worthless with a Javascript filter, which also confirms 40oz's remark about draining the phone battery faster - not surprising if it runs more code.

The reputation system in particular seems dumb because it tends to hand out points for exactly the wrong thing (i.e. I cannot shake off the feeling that a certain kind of pointless posts is the best way to up one's score. Case in point: See 5 posts above this one!)

I missed it from the first time it changed, way back.

But actually, I really like the current software and look (zoomed out to 90%, I admit).

3 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

I'm not sure what the likes and such add 

Before the switch I wasn't really sure if my contributions were valued that much outside of a few rare things where it was obvious. I guess I had a vague feeling that, yes, but a lot of the time there wasn't any tangible way of knowing that. But now I have a better sense of things, and it has made me like (in the actual sense of the word 'like') the community a lot more, because I'm human and all that, which has made DW more pleasant to use, and of course I'm more willing to share good content when I like the community, so the cycle is self-sustaining. (I had actually expected to dislike the 'likes', but that was because my primary experience with it beforehand was Reddit.) 

Also I noticed early on after the switch that I was feeling awkward about posting the occasional no-content posts I used to and avoided it, because I didn't want to annoy followers, if they use notifications. (My own list of people I follow is just a symbolic list of my favorite posters, but I guess some people might still have notifications turned on.) I still post too much but I don't think any of them are too worthless, at least. ;)  

Edited by rdwpa

5 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Before the switch I wasn't really sure if my contributions were valued that much outside of a few rare things where it was obvious.

Same. Actually, the 'likes' I get from just humble Chocolate Doom screenshots of my maps of late have been quite the boost; helping to keep back the (unfortunately, quite regular) "why do I even bother" thoughts and giving a little positive reinforcement that I'm making some neat stuff.

Likes. No amount of millions of the things will cure a little boy's cancer on Facebook, but they can be a small-but-necessary self-esteem boost for an unsure creative.

Yes it was cool to be able to post a screenshot of a map I'm working on and see the amount of people who liked what I had done. It's little things that give me a motivational boost to continue work that I'm otherwise unsure of. The status update system has been excellent for this. So what if it allows for random or unfiltered thoughts -- bring em on.

Doomworld is better now. I don't care if it runs javascript code or if it drains my phone battery a little faster. I have the bandwidth to download and run javascript, and I can charge my phone. And now, because of this better and more interactive forum, I can feel like I am still a part of this community regardless of how casually I interact with it. Thank you once again, @Linguica.

Not really.  At first I had a "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS" reaction, especially since I hadn't checked in for a while, but after some time I'm finding that I like the new features and don't particularly miss anything that might be gone.

Back when I used to lurk on these forums, I checked on Post Hell first to see the lulz. That's the only thing I missed when the site had a revamp.

The old Doomworld did have a charm to it that I rather liked. I wasn't even around very long to enjoy it and I still felt jarred by the change. But I have gotten used to the new look and rather enjoy it. Plus it looks way better on mobile. The other one I had to zoom in all the time just to read anything. 

ph has some funny moments but most of it was cringe anyways. New site is just fine apart from the like feature which I dully hate. Love the bigger avatar size plus the ability to change username though.

Yeah, I do. The old forum was a timeless example that change is bad, similar to the Hersey's Bar. (If you remember that commercial like I did, I applaud you.)

But I understand Andrew's decision that it was indeed time for a change.

Here are some useful AdBlock rules for the new forum. I don't remember what each of them does exactly, but basically everything related to reputation and likes is completely removed. "This is a popular post" note is hidden too. The only thing I haven't managed to block is that highlight rectangle around popular posts. If you have any ideas please let me know.

doomworld.com##.ipsLikeRep.ipsPos_right.ipsResponsive_noFloat
doomworld.com##.ipsType_medium.ipsResponsive_hidePhone
doomworld.com##.cProfileRepScore.ipsPad_half.cProfileRepScore_positive
doomworld.com##.ipsLikeRep
doomworld.com##.ipsRating_collective
doomworld.com##.ipsList_inline.ipsClearfix.ipsRating.ipsRating_large
doomworld.com##.ipsRepBadge.ipsRepBadge_positive
doomworld.com##.ipsComment_popularFlag

I miss the days of the Doom community from 1998 to the early 2000s, but that is mostly nostalgia on my part. Though I am happy it lives on through Doomworld, considering how many old Doom websites have died. These days I mostly lurk the forums and occasionally go on IRC, but my heart is still with this community.

As far as the new site design goes, I am getting used to it. I liked the old design, but probably because I was used to it for so long. The same will most likely happen with this design as has happened with the many past designs.

Edited by Anarkavre

While i don't miss the old site that much, a part of me still unconsciously tries to zoom in while navigating the site on the phone, even if it's not necessary anymore.

I miss Post Hell and the lack of "social network" stuff. But mostly Post Hell.

But if it gets some new blood in here, it can't be all bad.

FRESH FISH! FRESH FISH!

I don't give a frag about likes, reputation and whatnot, but this new forum is easier to read in my opinion (and therefore an improvement). Also, I'm "surfing" at home, so no battery problems. And it's waaay easier with videos and such now, so to sum it up: Great job!!

Part of me is always going to miss the old look and feel of the forums, mostly due to being part of them for nearly half my life. That said, I still do enjoy what this new software has to offer. There's a lot of nifty things that I find useful, and despite there being a few features here and there that I don't particularly like, it still mostly comes together into something I can appreciate.

I wouldn't mind it looking a litter closer to the old look, but otherwise, I like the change thus far.

Thing I missed: to unblock this certain guy time to time to see what's he up to. (not going to give name though. Didn't intend to invoke shitstorm) maybe it's me, but I think he's been hitting on me since my first wad thread. 

Thing I don't: the same guy.  I heard he's banned forever. GRBR. 

EDIT: since the forum switch,  I found out that I spent time in DW longer than facebook tbh. 

The only thing I miss about the old site is that it doesn't default to the "News" section.  Kinda the main reason I visit.