Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Do you miss the old Doomworld?

Yup, i do. The new site have some nice tools/improvs, but also have the bland look of every other gaming site/forum since the iPad and Smartphones phenomena + the futile and pointless features of social media.

The only complaint I have is the same as Cuppy, thread viewing on the old site used screen real estate much more effectively. That one (small) thing aside, everything seems improved. Haven't had any issues with speed whatsoever and the ability to like posts is a huge plus for a multitude of reasons.

5 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

now you're farming reputation like Walter was farming post count.

This isn't world of warcraft... And there's also no thorium brotherhood that I'm aware of :p

I'd go as far as arguing that likes, however pointless they may seem, have a similar "value" as post-hell had in the past. It's a (minor) psychological incentive not to be a sassy kitten like me at times. :p

So what's not to love about likes I wonder?

EDIT: Not saying all that matters is being everybody's darling, mind you. Actual substance matters just as much, but it's more about how this substance is conveyed.

And don't take me too serious here. ;-)

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

While there are some aspects of the old forum software I liked better, overall this has been a net gain. But I dislike the loss of Losers and Post Hell, and I dislike the penalty points system.

It's not clear-cut but broadly speaking I do miss the old one, yes. The new forum brings some nice features (like this) but a few irritating things too. Once I switched to the light theme things got much better. I also miss there being a non-forum front page, but I appreciate nobody was updating the old one. I definitely visit less often, and I kind of feel there's an opportunity for a new doom news site out there.

There should be a DOLT-like punishment where you're set to -666 reputation.

Took me some time to figure out how following and notifications work in the new interface, and I had to set zoom to 80% and 90% respectively on my desktop and laptop computers, but otherwise it's okay. I like the like system and how new posts are clearly separated from the old posts when you jump to first unread post in a thread.

9 hours ago, Seidolon said:

I don't really like the whole feature of "liking a post". That's one thing that I've never understood about social media. I've never cared or payed attention to who likes what, and I've never "liked" anything on any social media. It just seems pointless. I don't care about what anybody else likes, nor should anybody care what posts I like.

It's still alot easier than writing a speech to just say thanks to something you appreciate.

It's fine to 'like' something. What I do not consider ok is that these points get summed up without ever scrutinizing what gets liked and hands out a "reputation" score for that. Like I said earlier: It doesn't measure value - what I noticed in the short time this system has been active, it's not the actually helpful posts that get liked a lot, but either pointless but funny nonsense or just regurgitating the majority opinion as loudly as possible.

I tend to prefer fast, concise systems, but I've gotten used to the new forum now. I like being able to 'like' a post without necessarily having to leave a comment.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

It's fine to 'like' something. What I do not consider ok is that these points get summed up without ever scrutinizing what gets liked and hands out a "reputation" score for that. Like I said earlier: It doesn't measure value - what I noticed in the short time this system has been active, it's not the actually helpful posts that get liked a lot, but either pointless but funny nonsense or just regurgitating the majority opinion as loudly as possible.

... says the guy who "Won the popularity contest!" ;-)

One of my favourite message boards to interact with is Echoing The Sound - a Nine Inch Nails fan forum. It's based on a newer version of vBulletin than the old DWF; but it has a lot of nice features: likes, but also facepalms; a bunch of other stuff. It feels much lighter to browse IMHO than this software.

The new one is slowly growing on me, but I was more at home with the old one. The graphic headers, which were such an awesome addition when they arrived, now look a bit puny there on top of the page. Also, the minisucle screenshot out of the reviews on the news page is missed. I liked the old compact text. New one is a bit spacious, takes me longer to read. Prefered the low-res avatars when they were small - more Doomy.

I agree with Graf Zahl. That is the inherent downside of reputation systems. Personally I would hide keep the "total reputation score" somewhere in a user's profile. Similar to how DW disabled the display of posts beneath a person's name. It was still there, but you had to highlight the blank space in order to see the numbers.

@ Graf Zahl, I get what you're saying, It's a flawed system.  Do you have any ideas on how a system could better represent the value of what people release? Obviously members that release quality content should get some kind representation that would be superior to the likes counter. But how would then would this system tell what "content" is over regular posting? Hell, sometimes the two intermingle when discussions arise about doom itself, tactical tips, map building tips, feedback.

I mean we could go by some measure on releases to id games, but everything has started to go further when talking about content that may pertain value. You've got youtube videos, artwork, musical pieces that aren't midis, and stuff that doesn't even pertain to Doom, which is discussed often in everything else.

I don't see the system doing any harm as opposed peoples post count hanging out on their posts, or post hell (which I as well enjoyed, but its absence has proven Ling's point right) which all incited many shit posts. I don't know, I personally don't see it doing any harm as is, and when I try to think of an alternative it seems quite complex and a pain in the ass for the staff to implement. So even if The DW staff were looking to replace this system I would guess it's a far ways out with the amount on their plate.

5 hours ago, rf` said:

There should be a DOLT-like punishment where you're set to -666 reputation.

Could backfire.  On a Doom forum there may be some for whom that actually sounds rather desirable.  The last thing you want to do is create a badge of honour for bad behaviour.  Hell, put it in a red font and add some little flame gifs either side and everyone will want it, heh.

I don't think I'll have a problem distinguishing between posts worth reading or not in spite of a member's reputation. How different is looking past the reputation counter from looking past a member's post count on the old forum? Stick around for a while, and you know who to read and who to ignore anyway...

I completely ignore the reputation number. I've no idea how it's calculated but I don't care about it.

3 minutes ago, Jon said:

I completely ignore the reputation number. I've no idea how it's calculated but I don't care about it.

It's just the number of "likes" you've accrued on all your posts.

4 minutes ago, Jon said:

I've no idea how it's calculated

It's just the total number of likes you've received. ninja'd, how do I delete?

There's a lot I like about the new forum. It's vastly easier to use on my phone, and the notification system is excellent. I don't follow anyone specifically (I find that a little... stalkerish) but for specific threads of interest or replies I'm not sure how it could be improved.  The "latest activity" is also much more powerful than the "view new posts" of old: I like being able to see the content without having to click on the posts themselves.

There are a handful of things I'd still like to see fixed: while typing [ quote ] or [ code ] took longer, it was much easier to edit than the current system. I miss News being the landing page, but then again if it became a focus again it'd need to be updated more frequently to be useful. I wish you could ninja edit without it saying you edited. 

In the future, things like a properly integrated file repository, with HTML based uploads, so you can click someone's name and see what maps they released, would be really, really amazing. I appreciate that's down the line though.

4 hours ago, DooMAD said:

Could backfire.  On a Doom forum there may be some for whom that actually sounds rather desirable.  The last thing you want to do is create a badge of honour for bad behaviour.  Hell, put it in a red font and add some little flame gifs either side and everyone will want it, heh.

I mean, if Pritch could survive, so can anyone else! :P

14 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

I agree with your reasoning.  It kind of reminds me of forums gone by where people's postcounts were in a similar place to where the reputation number is now, and people would use that as a proto-reputation system to either game or inappropriately defer to.

Still, I think that as long as the reputation number remains a meaningless number with no wider repercussions, that the system is pretty harmless.

10 hours ago, AlexMax said:

It kind of reminds me of forums gone by where people's postcounts were in a similar place to where the reputation number is now

Such as old DW. :]

I just want the post hell back!

Tracer was losered for 24 hours for this post.

Edited by Tracer

I like the like system myself, it allows me to let people know I've seen their post in an important discussion and it allows me to let people know I agree with them without having to type out a pointless response.