Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Do you miss the old Doomworld?

This is a stupid question I'm sure but I'm trying to navigate posts by most recent unread, which is fine, but how do I go to the oldest unread post in the threads?

If I click the number of replies it always goes to the first page - even if I read them all.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but even though I love the new style, where are all the old links? I only see cacowards. There's no doom information anymore? Source ports, etc?

36 minutes ago, Lokust Sun said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned but even though I love the new style, where are all the old links? I only see cacowards. There's no doom information anymore? Source ports, etc?

Most (or all?) of those pages were ancient and hadn't been updated in years and years. It'd be nice to see the main site get a relaunch, too, and I'm pretty sure it's in the cards for the future, but I can't blame Linguica for focusing on the forum first since it's where most of Doomworld's activity happened.

2 hours ago, esselfortium said:

Most (or all?) of those pages were ancient and hadn't been updated in years and years. It'd be nice to see the main site get a relaunch, too, and I'm pretty sure it's in the cards for the future, but I can't blame Linguica for focusing on the forum first since it's where most of Doomworld's activity happened.

You're totally right, I just never really went anywhere else for any of this info, but it's all the more reason to ask if I can help out with organizing a ton of stuff I've collected in the different categories, like music. I don't know of any other pages that house everything, just page of doom and newdoom.com which has been gone for ages.

8 minutes ago, Lokust Sun said:

You're totally right, I just never really went anywhere else for any of this info, but it's all the more reason to ask if I can help out with organizing a ton of stuff I've collected in the different categories, like music. I don't know of any other pages that house everything, just page of doom and newdoom.com which has been gone for ages.

I'd suggest checking doomwiki.org :)

One thing I remember from the old pages that was fairly handy was a bunch of articles on vanilla/boom mapping tricks. I'm sure a lot of that stuff has been replicated elsewhere, but having that stuff in a centralized place was kinda nice. It'd be cool if it could be updated with all the stuff that's been discovered over the last decade and a half, but all things considered, the wiki might be a better place for that.

Yeah like art and music too! I was going to start a page because I had over the others that I had all the cd-roms extracted and sorted alphabetically. Unfortunately now so does wad-archive, so my site idea again serves no new purpose (and I don't know PHP)

I still need adapt to the new Doomworld because I was used to it being roughly the same for the past 17 years. But I think they did a great job in modernising it. All those little DW style elements that were carried over.

I like this "Like" system a lot better than some forums where you could also downvote a post. UGH!

I never used to visit Doomworld, and now I'm pretty hooked on it. Awesome UI, fun to browse through, and very easy and convenient to use. The old Doomworld just felt dated, and that's one of the reason why I avoid other forums. They just seem clunky. This feels like a new social media platform that's already boomin

10 hours ago, stru said:

I never used to visit Doomworld, and now I'm pretty hooked on it. Awesome UI, fun to browse through, and very easy and convenient to use. The old Doomworld just felt dated, and that's one of the reason why I avoid other forums. They just seem clunky. This feels like a new social media platform that's already boomin

Have the same feeling here. I don't usually like forums or stuff. I only visited the old Doomworld from time to time. The time I joined is already the new one. I have to say this is somewhat beyond a forum to me (or I just have too little experience in modern forums). For example, following people and personal status are some of the features that I didn't see in old forums. The "Like" system is also nice. Sometimes you feel motivated by a like or similar opinions.

I do miss the old forms. I'm not a fan of the status updates, likes, and social media circle jerking. But the new forums do work, and it's helping it grow. And I still probably wouldn't be that active in the older software either. But I feel like the new DW shows us what's on everyone's mind in excruciating detail. It's just not my thing. 

Considering how much immaturity and elitism was present in the old days compared to now--not to mention a less interactive interface--no, I don't miss it.

I miss the blogs and post Hell.

I just noticed the Doom 2016 SnapMap and Multiplayer forums disappeared. When did that happen?

On 4/27/2017 at 3:59 AM, traversd said:

I am mostly perceiving "likes" as an alternative to quoting the post and saying "Yes/+1/IAWTP"

* likes this *

it's the better alternative to such goofy posts, imo. also, i often don't feel like typing a lot, or i'm simply too tired to do so, therefore clicking a "like" allows me to still contribute to a discussion, even if it's by only showing some appreciation for a post.

The likes can seem gimmicky, but I think it's a good way to keep track of how you're being perceived on here. If you're getting a lot of likes on posts, then it means you're probably fairly agreeable and have a good rapport with other members. Rather than use it as an ego boost, I try to use it to gauge whether I'm having a meaningful, positive impact.

On 24.04.2017 at 8:13 PM, Dragonfly said:

Install a plugin for your browser of choice that allows you to include your own CSS Stylesheet. Then add this style:

.ipsComment:not( .ipsModerated ):not( .ipsComment_selected ).ipsBox.ipsComment_popular {
    border: 0;
}

I did this and it doesn't seem to have any effect: http://i.imgur.com/PNsNvLB.png Am I missing something?

.ipsComment:not( .ipsModerated ):not( .ipsComment_selected ).ipsBox.ipsComment_popular {
	border:0 !important;
}

.ipsComment_popularFlag {
	display:none !important;
}

Tested and it works. Added "!important in case there's some weird inheritance overriding in specific instances.