Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NEANDERTHAL

"Doom Tennis" Doom 2 Community Mapping Project - In Progress!

Hello!

This is Doom Tennis, where you submit an unfinished map (between 1/4 and 3/4 complete, considering texturing/details and monster placement) and receive someone else's unfinished map for you to finish. Once everyone has finished their map, they submit them to be compiled into a single IWAD.

Rules:

• While there is no limit to how much you can change the level assigned to you, try to build off of what's given to you.
  • Submitted unfinished maps must be between 1/4 and 3/4 complete, including texturing, details, and monster placement.
  • Unfinished levels are assigned to mappers randomly.
  • Custom textures are allowed, prefixing them with you initials.
  • Please attempt to tell us as much as possible about your experience; one of the goals of this project is to study the work of others.
  • If you cannot complete a level, submit in the condition you left it in; Latecomers to the party can finish it.
  • All levels must use the Doom 2 IWAD.
  • All levels must be Boom-compatible (CL 9) upon final submission.
  • Up to 32 mappers can participate in this; more if someone submits incomplete music and/or someone can't finish their assigned level.

Sign-up deadline for random level assignments is May 15; if more sign up afterwards, they'll have to wait until enough more sign up to receive their assignments.

Level Submission Rules:

Spoiler

When submitting unfinished files, state the level name, whether extra textures/DEHACKED are used, and a numerical estimate of how complete the map is.

Please name unfinished WAD files like the following:

Initials-LevelName-INC.wad

Where Initials are your initials, and LevelName is the level's name.

For submitting finished levels, remove INC from the end of the filename and add your own initials to the beginning, like so:

Initials-Initials-LevelName.wad

Goals:

Spoiler
  • Gather a large enough amount of mappers
  • Possibly pick a theme
  • Sort out extra incomplete maps / mappers
  • Assign maps and begin mapping

Mappers Involved: 4

Spoiler
  • Gunsmith
  • axdoomer
  • NEANDERTHAL
  • floatRand
  • Walter confetti

Incomplete Levels Submitted: 4

Spoiler
  • GS-Unnamed - Gunsmith
  • Fountain of Youth - axdoomer
  • Compacto - NEANDERTHAL
  • FR-Unnamed - floatRand
  • WC-Unnamed - Walter confetti

Levels in Progress: 0

Spoiler

Levels Completed: 0

Spoiler

Edited by NEANDERTHAL

Eh, reading Secret Santa Doom i was thinking of the old, pretty much dead community project made by @Snakes something like 3, 4 years ago, where the purpose was to do level that resemble in the most accurate way possible another author chosen randomly by the project host...

Instead we have this, that looks more like a collab event between two (maybe more) mappers, for me is better that you call this the "Doom Collab" project or a "Doom Tennis",for stealing a term from the YTP universe...

Btw, good luck with this, these kind of projects never had easy life, but you are encorauged to try it!

I think this is a nice idea! I don't have any maps I could contribute, but I wish the project a success.

I do wonder how many maps get abandoned in the first 10% compared to the last third though.

It's always nice to start projects with something more than a thought, but I always like the idea of collabs; it'd be cool to see something come of this. Good luck!

16 hours ago, NEANDERTHAL said:
  • DEHACKED work is allowed, again prefixing your work.

I get a feeling that you're confusing DEHACKED with DECORATE. DEHACKED can't be used to add any new things, it just replaces stock things/states/sprite names/whatever in the whole wad it's in. Merging conflicting DEHACKEDs is also pretty much impossible. It's really not a good idea to allow anybody to put custom DEHACKED work in their maps in this kind of project.

May I submit prior maps that I've worked on that are still in development? I'd like to see what some people can do with some of my rough concept maps. I'm likely to keep a different version and finish them as separate versions; but I'm curious to see what some people can do with them.

In such a case; feel free to help yourselves to my maps; unless otherwise stated.

@SArais,

Yeah, you can do that, so long as the map is between 1/4 and 3/4 finished. PM a link to the file of your choice and I'll consider you participating, in which case you'll receive a map to finish on May 15.

Cool.

In such a case; I'll make "director's cut" or something of each one that gets used for this, that doesn't have somebody else's altercations, Seeing somebody else's work on my maps may help me improve my maps further and spur ideas to mind.

6 minutes ago, SArais said:

Cool.

In such a case; I'll make "director's cut" or something of each one that gets used for this, that doesn't have somebody else's altercations.

@SArais,

Sounds good, but make sure you release the "directors cuts" after other people have started work on the unfinished versions you put here.

I claim the MAP15 slot. I have a map with a secret level access that I would like someone to finish for me, but I'm not interested in finishing someone else's work. Does that work?

I like this idea. Back when I used to have time to map I'd always take some garbage map and remake it or detail it so it wasn't garbage. It was a good confidence builder for me since I couldn't do any worse :-)

@axdoomer PM me to remind me of this in a few days. I'll have to see if someone else wants to work on a map but has nothing to submit. Also, the placement of the map depends on the map's final condition; the final draft might not have a secret exit anymore.

@Gunsmith Happy to see you're interested! Submit an unfinished map and I'll put your name on the list to receive one on the 15th!

--Quick poll here. If someone submits an incomplete GZDoom map or similar, should I leave it to the map finisher to make the map Boom-compatible, convert the map myself, or deny the map outright?

2 hours ago, NEANDERTHAL said:

the placement of the map depends on the map's final condition; the final draft might not have a secret exit anymore.

So you're going to distribute slots to the maps only once they are all done? It's harder to design a good secret exit once the map is already finished. 

2 hours ago, NEANDERTHAL said:

--Quick poll here. If someone submits an incomplete GZDoom map or similar, should I leave it to the map finisher to make the map Boom-compatible, convert the map myself, or deny the map outright?

It depends on how difficult it is to convert and if the map finisher has the will to do it. 

@Gunsmith ,

GREAT! Your name is on the list. You can expect to receive an unfinished map on the 15th.

@axdoomer ,

Map finishers may remove secret exits in the maps they are assigned to if they feel it is needed; once it is time to compile the levels into a wad, I'll put the completed maps that have secret exits into the right slots. 

In the case that more than two finished maps have secret exits, we'll hold a vote.

Any more sign-ups?

Edited by NEANDERTHAL

6 minutes ago, UAC-Janitor said:

I'd love to get involved! What kind of levels would you be looking for or shall i brainstorm something on my own?

@UAC-Janitor ,

Did you read the OP? We're looking for unfinished levels, preferably Boom-compatible, between 1/4 and 3/4 complete. Submit one, and on the 15th, you'll receive someone else's level for you to finish. I'm not concerned about theme right now. Doom Tennis!

I'm done with my map. To try it, use Plutonia and warp to map15. Good luck finding and accessing the secret exit without cheating. Although it's not finished, it's playable (you can reach both exits). It's vanilla compatible (with the exception of HOMs when there are too much segs at once on the screen) and it can be done from pistol start in its current state. The secret exit is a real challenge. 

2/4 or 3/4 finished depending of the amount of work you want to put in it. It needs more or better monsters placement, balanced ammo/health pickups on the map, more detailed geometry, some textures should maybe be changed for better ones, some areas are incomplete, etc. Read info.txt for more info. 

Submission : 

axdoomer_map15.zip

Edited by axdoomer : I won't finish anyone's map since I didn't even finish any map that I ever did in my life

@axdoomer ,

NOICE! I'll put your name on the list. If nobody wants to complete an extra map or has no map to submit, I'll complete this one myself.

Tennis Time!

1 hour ago, axdoomer said:

@NEANDERTHAL Do you have any unfinished maps? You should post them. 

Alright, alright, I'll post one of mine. Here's Compacto, one of my unfinished levels. It's about 1/3 to 1/2 complete depending on how much work one wants to put into it, and it uses only the D2 IWAD.

NT_Compacto_INC.zip

1 hour ago, NEANDERTHAL said:

Alright, alright, I'll post one of mine. Here's Compacto, one of my unfinished levels. It's about 1/3 to 1/2 complete depending on how much work one wants to put into it, and it uses only the D2 IWAD.

NT_Compacto_INC.zip

Played a little and looks cool!

Mind you if i do some little works on it?

Also, i donate you this:

Here's a map (slot MAP08), is 1/4 finished and uses the doom 2 stock textures.

Originally made for the dead project "1 tag level community project" (where you have to build a map using only one tag), then i changed few texturing works since i wanted to recycle this map for Bloody Rust when it was on it's development works...

But it the end it comes nothing, and i decided to give tou guys!

15thb-3om.zip

@Walter confetti ,

Thanks for your contribution! I've downloaded it and it looks like it just fits the unfinished map criteria! The unfinished maps will be assigned to mappers randomly.

I actually have one large map I made for Disjunction, a large castle, but unfortunately did not finish it. It is bit plain, requires some lighting/detailing work, plus monster placement. Most of layout is done. I guess it's 1/2 done? It is massive, though...

I will post it once I get home. I don't expect anyone to finish it, and I probably can't do other maps since I will be really busy this month. I see if I can do anything next summer.

Edit:

And here we go. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1NxOZlEf5aNS2xNajNXNG9NcWM/view?usp=sharing

Note: It requires cc4-tex.wad to work, which shouldn't be too hard to find. It's included in CC4. 

Om6BolS.jpg

5vy4WM0.jpg

Edited by floatRand