Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crunchynut44

What PWADs invoke the most nostalgia for you?

I've got two rungs of nostalgia for Doom. There's the vanilla one, where stuff like Yakworld, Hoover Dam, Doom in Tibet (which I definitely borrowed from with the first part of E2MWalter), BUNKER.WAD and Aliens Doom (not the TC) were the first PWADs I played. They make me think back to my Old Map Compilation and early Scourge efforts. How exciting it all was back then, when I was learning.

The second level of nostalgia is for my discovery of ZDoom and the online Doom community. ZDCMP1 is the major one, but Enjay's ZTrain, the KZDoom and Zort series are where I remembered how awesome Doom became again. You can entertain me with vanilla or limit removing, but if you really want to wow me, ZDoom seems to be the way. Especially when it's clearly Doom, but enhanced.

Alien Vendetta. Downloaded the map for coop play with a couple of friends as a random pick based on the name which I found to be cool and intimidating. Had only played the IWADs before AV. Minds were blown.

I've played a lot of PWADS but the one that I remember the most is Epic 2, because I like Egyptian levels, the maps, the challenge (I'm watching you, maps 25 and 29), the secret levels, the music, everything...

I am actually quite surprised as one I remember well was Marswar by Nathan Lineback which hasn't been listed so far by anyone. A fairly solid set of mapsets for the time by someone who had some "issues" with Microsoft :P

7 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

I've played a lot of PWADS but the one that I remember the most is Epic 2, because I like Egyptian levels, the maps, the challenge (I'm watching you, maps 25 and 29), the secret levels, the music, everything...

Epic 2 plays really nicely with Wildweasel's Nazis v2 mod with a patch for the final level.

Requiem, Eternal DOOM, Memento Mori 1 and 2, Hell Revealed, The Darkening 1 and 2, STRAIN, Icarus, The Twilight Zone, Operation BIOWAR, Phobos: Relive the Nightmare, to name those that come to mind. Yep, I grew up on a lot of 90's stuff. Memories of Doom95 also continue to mesmerize and haunt me to this day.

7 hours ago, ArcheKruz said:

Epic 2 plays really nicely with Wildweasel's Nazis v2 mod with a patch for the final level.

Fun fact: Nazis v2 grew out of a small patch Wildweasel made specifically for Epic 2. He then added the Nazis from my abandoned Doom Does Deutschland gameplay mod and rigged up the tracer system to replace all the hitscans and Nazis! was born.

12 hours ago, cannonball said:

I am actually quite surprised as one I remember well was Marswar by Nathan Lineback which hasn't been listed so far by anyone. A fairly solid set of mapsets for the time by someone who had some "issues" with Microsoft :P

Read the OP :D

23 hours ago, cannonball said:

I tried playing marswar, it was decent for the first few levels, but overall it did not age very well.

14 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

Fun fact: Nazis v2 grew out of a small patch Wildweasel made specifically for Epic 2. He then added the Nazis from my abandoned Doom Does Deutschland gameplay mod and rigged up the tracer system to replace all the hitscans and Nazis! was born.

That explains so much. It really feels like an Indiana Jones style adventure as a result.

I didn't get into actually playing Doom mods until around 2009 when I downloaded skulltag, so stuff like Armageddon invasion, Drown in Blood+eweps, and Doom barracks zone, which were all popular at the time, will always have a place in my heart.

I vaguely remember a friend showing me Sailor Moon Doom and thinking something along the lines of "Whoa, you can do that with Doom? Neat!". 

Galaxia

Requiem

Earth/Phobos2

I just remembered a CD-Rom with some of the first levels I tried. There were some levels MKHALLS, MKDETH or something like that. They were from a guy called Mark Klem, but somehow I thought before even trying they would be total remakes with Mortal Kombat graphics, and I was discussing with a classmate and say I found these cool WADs, I am pretty sure they have MK characters because of the initials. Eheh..

Pretty sure if I try to play them again, I might find them too dated, but they will evoke some nostalgia.

I also remember a map which was too slow on my 486, with many sectors creating a round head in the ground.

Without a doubt, the first trio of PWADs that I happened to find and play: DEADBASE, FORGEX (the original version, with the Bugs Bunny samples) and TRINITY. Come think to it, each of them was somewhat unusual for their time. They all came from the first issue of the "Multimedia & CD-ROM" magazine in Greece. And I played them in Doom v1.1... ouch ;-)

The only WAD I have any nostalgia for is the Simpsons Doom 2 conversion. I played that so much as a kid. I didn't start playing actual map sets until last year so I haven't had enough time to build fond memories of those.

My first exposure to Doom was actually Chex Quest, so any of the entries in that series are my happy place. Otherwise, I've got a list of things that got me through Middle and High School and are still close to my heart. Action Doom, Zen Dynamics, Sonic Doom, Phocas Island 2, Daedalus, Epic, Chosen, Foreverhood...

One of my nostalgic are one that was a mod of CS 1.6 and the levels are like a doom version of cs_assault, with demons and chaingunners. Never know about that wad on this day.

And also wads im downloaded from the multiplayer port that was not Zandromium. One was a slaugther map that its like a arena with a pool of Blood, with diferent weapons like a M16, a railgun and a BFG10k

Ctrl+f

No EARTH.wad? Really? So innovative for its time back in '94, and its still a blast to this day. I constantly host it.

Multiplayer?

UDM.wad. All day.

Then there's the stuff from the old MJ Doom page I stumbled upon way back like the original Simpsons Mod, School Doom 2, and Batman Doom 2.

Afterwards, any of the below do it for me:

Dwango5

Dwango6

AZDwango

DCDwango

LBDwango

DOOMMALL.wad (might be mall.wad, not sure)

PLAYPEN6.wad SON, DO YOU EVEN POINT OF DEPARTURE?

TNTBlood

and I can't remember, but the old west one with the chaingun replaced by dual revolvers.

7 hours ago, Chronohunter45 said:

No EARTH.wad? Really?

Actually, antares301 and Optimus both mentioned Earth.

And, yes, Earth.wad was a groundbreaking mod for when it was released.

What "EARTH.WAD" is that? Is it in the idgames archive under some other name, or it has been removed/never was on some copyright grounds?

There are several other mods with the name "earth" in the title or filename, but none of them is from 1994. TBQH I never heard of it, but people here claim it was as influential/important as e.g. UAC_DEAD.WAD?

Edit: is it this one? Apparently that's a reupload of an older one (the original Earth.wad?) and it did suffer a deletion event at some point. However, the original release date is stated in the textfile to be 1997, not 1994.

Edited by Maes

Earth.wad by Roger Ritenour is the wad he's talking about, and no, it is definitely not from 1994. It was quite groundbreaking in its visuals, especially the rocky shore scenes, but the gameplay does not hold up well today. I don't see why everyone has to have 1994 wads as their most nostalgic; I never had access to PWADs until 1999 (I had a copy of D!Zone in 1995 but I never got to use it because the floppy disks were full of bad sectors) and many people weren't even born back in 1994.

1 hour ago, Maes said:

Edit: is it this one? Apparently that's a reupload of an older one (the original Earth.wad?) and it did suffer a deletion event at some point. However, the original release date is stated in the textfile to be 1997, not 1994.

It was from 1997? I had no idea. I have two directories for files - one for Getwad, and another one I built over the years which has it dated as 2001. I always assumed it was much older, but sure enough the one from Getwad is dated 1997.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, ReX said:

Actually, antares301 and Optimus both mentioned Earth.

And, yes, Earth.wad was a groundbreaking mod for when it was released.

Ah, my foot tastes wonderful - but needs more salt. That's what I get for only checking the first two pages.

1 hour ago, Woolie Wool said:

I don't see why everyone has to have 1994 wads as their most nostalgic; I never had access to PWADs until 1999 (I had a copy of D!Zone in 1995 but I never got to use it because the floppy disks were full of bad sectors) and many people weren't even born back in 1994.

That's a thing?

Born in 1987, but truth be told I only had access to doom back in 94/95 at a friend's house - my folks would never have let it fly...they had no idea. They were the anti-MortalKombat types.

Winquake over Mplayer was my first fps internet deathmatch experience. Novalogic's F 22 Raptor was my first internet multiplayer experience period. 128 players on Novaworld, baby! And that was 1997. Way ahead of its time.

mine are lots of random wads that were on some pc gamer magazine cd that i cant find anywhere on the internet

I love Doom City!

My very first PWAD:

DoomGate's description:

So you thought the war was over when you blasted the Icon's brain to bits, eh? Now there is a whole horde of demons trapped on earth, and they want revenge! Be warned that these 8 levels are intended for Doom II masters; novices need not apply. Aside from that, they might have been made by the id authors themselves.

It ain't that good, in fact it's pretty terrible on the whole, but being the first impression of custom Doom levels it's really nostalgic.