Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AxiomOfDeath

Technotoxin - Work In Progress

Hi, this is my first post here. I'm a casual Doom mapper (primarily a mathematics student and researcher) and this is my first time sharing any of my creations.

What I'm sharing today is a map whose physical appearance is heavily inspired by the first episode of the first Doom. I know this is not an exciting or original concept; I have better things in the works, but for now this will do. It replaces E1M7 in the original Doom (you'll have to manually skip to it, sorry) and unless I'm mistaken it requires only DOOM.WAD, an engine to run it (I use GZDoom), and of course my wad:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/td6gxx9f6nvwggv/AoDtest1.wad

It is UNFINISHED but CAN be beaten. I started building it three days ago and have spent maybe 18 hours total on it. Notable problems: Some switches do nothing (yet), several boring empty spaces that I just haven't had time to fill, too many former sergeants (maybe you disagree, let me know), and many misaligned textures and wonky architecture. Among many other things.

I emphasize that despite the current flaws, the level can be beaten. And even though there is a lot of work to be done, the overall feel, flow, and essence of the level is apparent in its current form. There will be no major changes to, for example, the order in which keys and their respective doors are seen and subsequently made accessible. I share this because I want feedback. I feel I do a pretty good job of noting the problems, but I'd like other people's perspectives too.

So please give any feedback whatsoever regarding any aspect of this work. I will give all suggestions a reasonable amount of consideration.

Also the name, Technotoxin, is something I thought of in about 3 seconds but I think it gets at the heart of the matter: computers and slime.

Hello, yes this does have a lot of walking shotguns haha. Not necessarily a bad thing, though. Very oldschool feel to this level, was a fun 15 minutes or so without being overly difficult or unfair. I like some of the progressions used too, also classic feeling. 

Also, I don't know what editor you're using, but if it's any of the doombuilder family, "a" is a horizontal autoalign and "shift+a" is a vertical autoalign for some of those alignment problems. It's not perfect, but it still quick and very handy. 

...Hmm, it says youtube does not allow embedding of that video? Oh well

edit: apparently I didn't publish it or something, heh. Man I'm technologically challenged

Super duper edit: Yeah, I had to hit "publish." Boy oh boy. I'm not sure I would take advice from me now, considering the level of intelligence in this post, heh.

Edited by Octavarium : Idiot

Thanks for playing! Fifteen minutes is about what I expected. The final version will be between 20 and 30 minutes. Is that too long? I personally like long levels but maybe other people don't. I feel it's especially reasonable here, since this is intended to be the penultimate level in an episode, a last big push before the climactic battle in E1M8.

I've already tweaked a lot of the monster placement. Much of what you saw was the result of me haphazardly placing things on a whim just for the sake of not having large empty corridors. As for texture alignment, I am aware of the keyboard shortcuts but thanks for letting me know. The thing is, I often delay texture alignment until I'm confident that the geometry on which the textures are placed is not going to change. In general I don't focus on small details until after the larger concepts are set in place.

I don't think I'm gonna post an updated version for a day or two; not until I've made substantial progress.

PS) I'm not sure what video you were trying to show, but on my end it shows up as private.

There we go. Edited the other one, should be fine now.

And yeah, I personally am very much into very long levels (a few hours even for one map, sometimes)

seems like you got a lot of good advice so i will just say nice map liked the exit!  A great start.