Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

A new SKY4?

@Eradrop released a sky pack some time ago. I've been talking to him and he ensures that the skies can be used because they are based on photographs taken by a family member.

I put together a little WAD that replaces SKY4: http://uploads.doomshack.org/FDSKY4.WAD

I think it's pretty good, and makes sense than the current SKY4.

GKKauEp.png

My vote is no.

EDIT: To elaborate, the shading is very blocky, there are what appear to be JPEG artifacts, the 5:6 pixels are not accounted for, etc.

That being said, if I could have the original photo, I might be able to make a better version.

Edited by Blastfrog

Wouldn't a picture of our moon kind of define the setting of freedoom? I thought we wanted to keep everything as vague as possible (for now at least).

Please remember any potential replacement sky needs to preserve the outdoor shadowcasting effect.

GUWW99G.png

It does. That's why I chose this. The moon is the source of light here.

1 hour ago, Voros said:

It does. That's why I chose this. The moon is the source of light here.

For me it doesn't work. The moon is too large and bright to remain convincing as a point source casting hard-edged shadows. Plus it is quite clearly several degrees to the right of where it should be to cast those shadows (although that is easily fixed)

4SXvB7I.png

11 minutes ago, RjY said:

For me it doesn't work. The moon is too large and bright to remain convincing as a point source casting hard-edged shadows. Plus it is quite clearly several degrees to the right of where it should be to cast those shadows (although that is easily fixed)

In addition to that, with it being that close to the horizon, the moon should be more brownish.

I can't say I like this at all, the original sky is just fine.

And that moon really is way too large.

My vote is no, this sky would have to be completely redrawn to look right in game.

I like the idea of the moon being a light source in the sky.

However, for reasons already stated in this thread, I don't think this specific image will work very well.

PWzW5QJ.png

This picture comes from Blood, but it does give you an idea of a good size for the moon.

hs2caom.png