Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brakenwagen

Match music file to map

Question

In slade (or any other editing software) is there any way to tell what music file is assigned to a map. For example I have the Doom Core wad open in slade and am trying to find the music file for map 32 without having to listen to every music file in the wad.

8 answers to this question

that doesn’t answer the question the data for what music file goes to what map must be stored somewhere so how do I look at that data.

How about this is there a console command in zdoom that will show you what music file is currently playing that would do the trick.

Pretty sure you can't. You just memorize what filename goes to what level. All the midi files are named after the song that goes in that slot in the original Doom 2. You have to give them the same name unless you're using an advanced port.

I seriously hate the way the guys at id handled naming the Doom 2 music. They did good with The Ultimate Doom and gave them simple names like d_e1m1 for E1M1 but MAP01 is d_runnin. Wtf? Why did they not just do d_map01? would have made so much more sense and also would make it A WHOLE FREAKING LOT easier for us modders.

Another question is why did they copy+paste the same MIDI twice for different maps instead of just having one MIDI and then hardcoding both maps to reference the same MIDI? Instead of having d_runnin and d_runni2 they'd just have d_map01 and have both maps reference it?

59 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Another question is why did they copy+paste the same MIDI twice for different maps instead of just having one MIDI and then hardcoding both maps to reference the same MIDI? Instead of having d_runnin and d_runni2 they'd just have d_map01 and have both maps reference it?

Aren't you glad they didn't? If they did, vanilla and many other formats would always require you to use the same song in map 01 and map 15, etc.

1 hour ago, Not Jabba said:

Aren't you glad they didn't? If they did, vanilla and many other formats would always require you to use the same song in map 01 and map 15, etc.

What I meant was coming from a technical standpoint, back in the 90's file sizes needed to be as small as possible and you'd think they would have thought in terms of space on physical discs to copy the game to. Granted MUS/MIDI doesn't take up hardly any space (average of around 25 KB for Doom II's) but still. I wonder if they got near the end of development and realized they could split them like they did and add a 2/3 to the end because they had extra room on a second/third or whatever floppy? We may never know.