Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xeriphas1994

EFF.org: "FCC Announces Plan to Abandon Net Neutrality and ISP Privacy"

FYI, while everyone was in the other thread posting stalker invites.  Follow the link for a petition if that's your thing.

Since most Americans have only one option for broadband service, ISPs would have unchecked power to extract tolls from you and from businesses that wish to reach you . . . In short, [FCC Chairman Ajit Pai]’s proposal leaves Internet users and small businesses completely at the mercy of ISPs. No one in the government would be able to step in to prevent abusive blocking and throttling of Internet content, pay-to-play fast lanes, or privacy violations by ISPs.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/04/fcc-announces-plan-abandon-net-neutrality-and-isp-privacy

Christ almighty, when will those idiots take the hint?

The wave comes crashing down on the rock, again and again. The rock stands, thinking "when will the ocean take the hint?" But eventually the rock is turned into sand.

That's the same thing here. They'll try, and try, and try again until one day they get their wish. That's why they have to be fought, and fought, and fought again and again and again and again and again. They'll never stop, so neither should we. You know the saying: the price of liberty is constant vigilance.

6 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Christ almighty, when will those idiots take the hint?

Never. Corporations will never just abandon a potential source of money. They will fight for decades. They will spend billions. They will instigate wars and take over countries. If there is rent to be extracted anywhere on Earth, they will stop at nothing to get it. Corporations never sleep, they never tire, they never grow old. As for the "idiots" part, they have the money to purchase the best lawyers in the world. They're cunning, they're resourceful, they're patient, and they are utterly without conscience. It is a miracle net neutrality has lasted this long, they've been working towards its demise for 20 years. There's no stopping them now, not with Trump and his gang of wreckers destroying the government's ability to regulate the economy as fast as possible.

On 4/28/2017 at 7:54 AM, Gez said:

The wave comes crashing down on the rock, again and again. The rock stands, thinking "when will the ocean take the hint?" But eventually the rock is turned into sand.

That's the same thing here. They'll try, and try, and try again until one day they get their wish. That's why they have to be fought, and fought, and fought again and again and again and again and again. They'll never stop, so neither should we. You know the saying: the price of liberty is constant vigilance.

The average American cares only about his 9 to 5 job and then whatever he's gonna do on the weekend.  Any "fighting" you speak of is pure fantasy and is not gonna happen at all.

On 4/28/2017 at 9:21 AM, Avoozl said:

I wish I could sign but I am not American.

Use a VPN and sign it anyway. Your opinion on this matter counts no matter where you live IMO, I would never let my nationality change it.

4 hours ago, Master O said:

The average American cares only about his 9 to 5 job and then whatever he's gonna do on the weekend.  Any "fighting" you speak of is pure fantasy and is not gonna happen at all.

I'd like to think there are enough people who care about saving the internet. You don't have to have 100% of the population on your side to win something.

27 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I'd like to think there are enough people who care about saving the internet. You don't have to have 100% of the population on your side to win something.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the corporations have infinite time and money to get whatever they want, whenever they want.  Our political class was bought and paid for decades ago, so you can definitely expect to get no help from them, either.  The American taxpayer is on his own, naked and powerless on the battlefield.  Just being a realist here.

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Although after seeing the response all this got when I crossposted it on Zdoom, maybe not very many people care after all...

12 hours ago, Doomkid said:

It won't matter either way because the US government no longer has to care what you think. The Republicans have built up an unassailable position in the red states by playing on white Christians' cultural anxieties until those anxieties become frothing rage, and the Democrats are mostly bought and paid for corporate operatives who will do whatever their corporate masters say while repeating rhetoric about how if the government gets in the way of business in any way every company in the US will instantly move offshore and destroy America forever.