Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phade102

Changing Map Format question

Question

Hi all, apologies, not sure if this is the right section, but it is an editing question.

I recently uploaded my first wad for testing, and one of the major comments that stood out to me was that due to the fact that I was mapping in hexen format, i was essentially making it impossible for the boom port users to actually play my map. I want to try to remedy that, but I am still rather new to mapping (It took me a long time just to learn to map in hexen format).

My map at the moment has no zdoom features, and probably wont (Slopes, 3d floors, ect.) so I was thinking of changing to a format that will work for gzdoom/zdoom and boom. Could someone tell me which format to map in in order to do that? And, if possible, could someone take a look at my wad (Attached) in an editor and tell me what will need to be removed/modified in order to get it to work in the same (or similar) way in the vanillia format that will help it work for Boom users? I would like to add some custom monsters (For use in later maps) and would also like to know if that is possible if using a vanillia format for the above purposes.

ExperimentZero.zip

8 answers to this question

If you're adding custom content such as monsters, it may be a moot point -- you'll likely want to use Decorate, which only works in ZDoom-based ports. You can theoretically add custom monsters in any format, but it requires replacing existing Things via Dehacked. You can do this easily enough in Doom 2 -- most people replace the SS Nazis and Commander Keens -- and MBF even adds some new things just for the purpose of adding new content, which is why skillsaw was able to add so much stuff in Valiant. However, it seems like it's much more difficult to do things this way than to use Decorate, so it's up to you whether you're that committed.

In terms of mapping formats, it's something like this:

Doom format: works in vanilla and all ports

Boom format: works in Boom and any more advanced port such as ZDoom

Any format with "ZDoom" in its name: only works in ZDoom-based ports

Hexen format or UDMF: Only works in ZDoom-based ports or other more advanced ports like Eternity

2 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

If you're adding custom content such as monsters, it may be a moot point -- you'll likely want to use Decorate, which only works in ZDoom-based ports. You can theoretically add custom monsters in any format, but it requires replacing existing Things via Dehacked. You can do this easily enough in Doom 2 -- most people replace the SS Nazis and Commander Keens -- and MBF even adds some new things just for the purpose of adding new content, which is why skillsaw was able to add so much stuff in Valiant. However, it seems like it's much more difficult to do things this way than to use Decorate, so it's up to you whether you're that committed.

In terms of mapping formats, it's something like this:

Doom format: works in vanilla and all ports

Boom format: works in Boom and any more advanced port such as ZDoom

Hexen format, UDMF, or any format with "ZDoom" in its name: only works in ZDoom-based ports

Thank you not Jabba. I think, for my first mapping, i'm going to skip on the new monsters, and just design in Boom format, that way it will work for everyone except people who play in vanillia, because the simple fact is, Vanillia is far too restricting for my taste.

Now I just need to figure out what I'll need to remove/change on my current map 01 in order to get it to work properly in boom ports.

Some things you would have to change in your map:

- line horizons (change them to the classic style with same ceiling/floor height)
- thing spawn actions (put monsters in closets outside the map that teleport or get teleported after you walk over a line)
- flats as textures (can't do this outside of zdoom)
- all sector effects and line actions need to be changed
- map spots (change them to teleporter destinations, and every destination needs to have its own sector tag)

I'd copy all the sectors and things from your hexen map, create a new map in boom format and paste them in, then change what needs to be changed.

29 minutes ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

Some things you would have to change in your map:

- line horizons (change them to the classic style with same ceiling/floor height)
- thing spawn actions (put monsters in closets outside the map that teleport or get teleported after you walk over a line)
- flats as textures (can't do this outside of zdoom)
- all sector effects and line actions need to be changed
- map spots (change them to teleporter destinations, and every destination needs to have its own sector tag)

I'd copy all the sectors and things from your hexen map, create a new map in boom format and paste them in, then change what needs to be changed.

Yeah that was my plan. its a pain, but I feel if it gets my maps more attention from more players, its worth it. I am questioning it though, it seems I lose a lot of features that I actively use. I had someone complain because my map was built in a 'vanillia' style, but if I use zdoom features...its worth it, isn't it?

Edited by Phade102

On 4/28/2017 at 6:15 PM, Phade102 said:

Yeah that was my plan. its a pain, but I feel if it gets my maps more attention from more players, its worth it. I am questioning it though, it seems I lose a lot of features that I actively use. I had someone complain because my map was built in a 'vanillia' style, but if I use zdoom features...its worth it, isn't it?

Which features? Basically, if you're making a Doom map and someone can't tell it uses ZDoom features, it probably doesn't need to use ZDoom features. That's not 100% true, but if the features aren't visible to players, you can probably replicate them at a lower compatibility level.

1 hour ago, Not Jabba said:

Which features? Basically, if you're making a Doom map and someone can't tell it uses ZDoom features, it probably doesn't need to use ZDoom features. That's not 100% true, but if the features aren't visible to players, you can probably replicate them at a lower compatibility level.

I'm using 3d floors, mapspots, and I plan on implementing slopes and such once I practice with them a bit more.

Sure, in that case I'd say you're developing a mapping style that actually revolves around ZDoom features. Go for it!

1 hour ago, Not Jabba said:

Sure, in that case I'd say you're developing a mapping style that actually revolves around ZDoom features. Go for it!

Thank you Not Jabba! I mean, I wont be making maps the quality of say...valiant, or anything. but I hope people will enjoy it!