Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CornKing

Doom - Mecca Of Madness (My first .wad)

Greetings!

Am not much of a great introducer. Nonetheless, I'd like to introduce myself and my first entry of many .wads; a small - 5 map - .wad here, in Doomworld. As I've found, this is the main place where the vintage DOOM community resides. So I decided it'd be a great place for me to drop by my ruthless gauntlets. Just to make your day a tad bitter.

These are my very FIRST maps, but you'll still notice design improvements with each map (I kept improving my knowledge in using the GZDoom Builder while making these). The maps are still pretty much linear in design, but I tend to improve. Furthermore, there's additional monsters/pick ups that are borrowed from realm667.com (Thank you). And let's not forget intentionally placed cheesy traps. Other than that, I tried to stick to the DOOM's true nature - bloody murder.

The sole purpose of this .wad is just to toss you - poor souls - into the fiery pits of hell. Beat you to a pulp, but still keep forcing you to go forward. While I get a good laugh from your bravado.

Doom - Mecca Of Madness

I had this .wad running with GZDoom launcher and there were no problems playing it, it ran smoothly.

And that's that. Hope y'all share your struggles here.

I made it to map 4 tonight, and it was a real solid play. The architecture is well done, and new monsters always spices things up. Keep up the good work.

Yo! 

Found your maps, and I gotta say they are real good! 

M>ade a recorded playthrough of them , and im impressed! 

If this really is your first maps, I think you weill have a bright future in mapping!

(I never asked if it was ok to record it, so if you want me to take the video down, let me know!)

Watch it here: 

Ofcaurse not! This is exactly what I want, to witness you traversing through my devious maps!

I see, I should've notified y'all that jumping is mandatory. And I miss-placed a few of Shadow Beasts and caused some discomfort. What you have to know about them, that each shot has a certain percentage to trigger the shed skin (the more you spray the bigger chances to trigger it), whenever they do shed skin and spawn souls, the initial shot's damage is nullified and they become temporarely invisible. 

A few notes for future .wads.

These were my first maps. It took me around half a year to make this .wad, since I kept learning more stuff and redesigning the maps. The 1st map took the most of the changes, in fact, it's nothing similar to what I've began with.

Anyways, jolly good show. I did enjoyied watching your struggle.

Edited by CornKing

3 hours ago, CornKing said:

Ofcaurse not! This is exactly what I want, to witness you traversing through my devious maps!

I see, I should've notified y'all that jumping is mandatory. And I miss-placed a few of Shadow Beasts and caused some discomfort. What you have to know about them, that each shot has a certain percentage to trigger the shed skin (the more you spray the bigger chances to trigger it), whenever they do shed skin and spawn souls, the initial shot's damage is nullified and they become temporarely invisible. 

A few notes for future .wads.

These were my first maps. It took me around half a year to make this .wad, since I kept learning more stuff and redesigning the maps. The 1st map took the most of the changes, in fact, it's nothing similar to what I've began with.

Anyways, jolly good show. I did enjoyied watching your struggle.

Glad you liked it! 

And thanks for clarify how those monsters works! 

Again, awsome maps and looking forward to the next release! May it be just as good, or better ;) 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/139187117 = my playthrough. (GZDoom v2.3.2, Ultra Violence, continuous)

Pretty decent overall for somebody having their first wad be in GZDoom; a wad format I'd like to see more of but is difficult to do (and get people involved in doing!).

Gameplay was pretty good alongside the detailing; that's a good thing, since I've played my fair share of GZDoom-heavy wads from debutants and newbies that had the detailing down, but not the gameplay. Granted a lot of it relied on "chuck a bunch of realm667 stuff", but it worked out fine. I especially liked the inclusion of those one-time resurrecting imps; an enemy type I hadn't seen utilised before.

Just a couple of areas bothered me; I didn't like the final part of map 2 with the descent or the super-fast suicide bombers, I especially didn't like the end of map 3 with the shadow beasts, and it would have been nice if the death of Azazel on map 5 had included his death animation or something, instead of instantly cutting away to the end of level stats. (jarring!)

You also could have used more texture variety instead of relying on one texture type for sizeable areas.

Otherwise, a decent debut mapset. I look forward to seeing more in the future, especially if you intend on doing more GZDoom stuff.....

Excellent performance out there, it was most amusing spectating how you passed the jump spots while simply strafe running. And you found a pit that needs to be more... deadly.

I see Shadow Beasts at the end of level 3 are rustling a lot of people's jimmies. I'll try to find more appealing alteration.

I'll also try to make the next boss fight and death more spectacular. It definetly seemed like a lack-luster. However, I need to put some time in researching how.

Spirits Imps are indeed a charming bunch with an amazing ability to possess a dead body, I think they perfectly fit in DOOM's universe. They are for certain to be encountered in my future .wads.

I came here and began working with GZDoom Builder and I will end up with it through the rest of my journey here.

You died the least so far, buy yourself a chocolate bar champ and thanks again for the spectacular performance you've put out there!