Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

What is the worst game you have ever played?

The world's most realistic bus driving simulator.

That and ET for the VCS.

While not so much bad, there are lots and lots of games I've played that are supposed to be great, and I found them really mediocre. A few that spring to mind are:

• Uncharted (mediocre shooter with linear, almost scripted platform sections)
  • Red Dead Redemption (tedious open-world with teeth gratingly "whacky" characters)
  • The Last of Us (flips between almost being so linear it's almost scripted and being so badly signposted you can get stuck for ages)
  • GTA V (literally just GTA 3 with better graphics)
  • Undertale (I really don't get this one. It's a crappy 8bit RPG with predictable writing. Why does it have such a fan base?)
  • The Binding of Isaac (dingy twin-stick shooter in identikit rooms)

I probably dislike more games I play now than I enjoy, which is really sad. Is this what getting older does to you? You just get super picky? It's crap!

I tend to avoid the stinkers so I have only played a few games that I would consider bad.

1) NecroVisioN - This first person shooter is so bad it is hilarious to play for 20 minutes after which you never play it again. God-awful voice acting and animations, the most ridiculous setting ever, and it's ugly as hell. It feels like this game had a budget of 2$.

2) Call of Duty: All of them since MW2 - I've only played the single-player, so I can't judge the MP. Call of Duty is a husk of its former self. I used to love this series, but it has gotten really, really stale. Since MW2 the games have tried to become Michael Bay action films, and while MW2 was in many ways campy and enjoyable for what it was, it was also the catalyst for the over-the-top bro-dude shooters ever since. Call of Duty has lost its soul, which is extremely sad. Call of Duty 1 will always be my favourite. I cringe when people tell me they cried over Ghost and Roach's death scene in MW2. All of CoD 1 is more emotional than that.

3) Duke Nukem Forever - Yes, this game is pretty terrible, but I still had some fun with it.

4) Borderlands 1, 2, pre-sequel - Such a boring grind-fest these games are. I don't want to pause every 30 seconds to manage my tiny-ass inventory god dammit! Plus, I've been running around this glacier for the past 5 hours! Fuck!

5) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - I really don't get it. I don't see the appeal. This game is the highest rated game on metacritic, so I had high hopes for it when I picked of the 3D rerelease on the 3DS. Boy was I disappointed! It's slow, handholding, railroaded, combat is an unengaging snoozefest of "wait until the enemy is vulnerable", bosses were extremely easy, the puzzles were stupid, characters were uninteresting, I could go on about why I think this game is a pile of garbage. I can't genuinely believe any adults can still praise this game. It's pure nostalgia blindness!

6 minutes ago, Archvile Hunter said:

I tend to avoid the stinkers so I have only played a few games that I would consider bad.

1) NecroVisioN - This first person shooter is so bad it is hilarious to play for 20 minutes after which you never play it again. God-awful voice acting and animations, the most ridiculous setting ever, and it's ugly as hell. It feels like this game had a budget of 2$.

Are you out of your mind?!?!  Necrovision is fantastic.  The only non-indie "old-school FPS" that actually plays like an old-school FPS.

(Ocarina of Time is also great.)

4 minutes ago, Archvile Hunter said:

5) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - I really don't get it. I don't see the appeal. This game is the highest rated game on metacritic, so I had high hopes for it when I picked of the 3D rerelease on the 3DS. Boy was I disappointed! It's slow, handholding, railroaded, combat is an unengaging snoozefest of "wait until the enemy is vulnerable", bosses were extremely easy, the puzzles were stupid, characters were uninteresting, I could go on about why I think this game is a pile of garbage. I can't genuinely believe any adults can still praise this game. It's pure nostalgia blindness!

FINALLY found someone who said this! I KNEW I wasn't alone on this!

I did like Borderlands for the art though, but everything else I agree with, mostly with this.

Animaniacs for the SNES (Genesis version is decent), Roger Rabbit for the NES, some Star Wars "fighting game" on the Wii as well as every CoD game.

Heretic. Unbelievably, fascinatingly dull. 45 literally identical levels. Dear god, that's like BTSX in 1994. Except that Heretic has, like, 30 wall textures in total. :]

Also RotT. Even duller. Has a good sense of humour, a great soundtrack, and a mind-blowing boss fight, but still very dull. Playing some of the later levels is simply excruciating.

I don't play games much, though. I haven't really seen anything. :]

16 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Someone keep this one away from Grand Theft Auto!

No, I quite like the GTA series.

There's a lot of extremely good games being mentioned in this thread. 

Edited by Ajora

Fuck man, I've played some downright special games in my time. All youse saying shit like undertale and isaac are the worst games you've ever played are total amateurs. Try expanding your minds with some bootlegs so you can fully grasp the fine line between a videogame and a screensaver that causes mental pain.

On the topic of "good games I just couldn't get into", I'd say Ocarina of Time, Borderlands, Halo (basically all), CoD (basically all as well) and loads of other mega-hits. As Jaxxoon said though, these games have so much more love and thought put into them than say, a real Cleveland steamer like "Back to the Future" for NES. It feels wrong calling them shitty games, they're well made games that don't appeal to me personally, which really is a different take on the question.

The reason BTTF for NES was made: Fooling kids, money grubbing. I don't think that applies to a lot of stuff being mentioned here. In fact, I'm pretty curious what games you guys think were made 100% as a cash grab with 0 love/passion for game making being present? (The amount of NES titles that fall into that category is staggering)

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

Heretic. Unbelievably, fascinatingly dull. 45 literally identical levels. Dear god, that's like BTSX in 1994. Except that Heretic has, like, 30 wall textures in total. :]

Also RotT. Even duller. Has a good sense of humour, a great soundtrack, and a mind-blowing boss fight, but still very dull. Playing some of the later levels is simply excruciating.

I don't play games much, though. I haven't really seen anything. :]

I like Heretic, but I agree... the level design is rather bland... I hope that I'll like Hexen when I buy it.

16 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

On the topic of "good games I just couldn't get into", I'd say Ocarina of Time

So you too want to be respected by me.

18 minutes ago, SOSU said:

So you too want to be respected by me.

So, how does not being able to get into a game grant respect from you?

36 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

So, how does not being able to get into a game grant respect from you?

Well now that is a really long story.

41 minutes ago, SOSU said:

Well now that is a really long story.

We've got time. Enlighten us.

2 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I just remembered that XBLIG (XBox Live Indie Games) were a thing, ho-leeee fuck they were something else.

A few "FPS gems" were Tartaros (vid) The Conquest for the Planet Earth (vid, only one I could find) and Send in Jimmy (vid)

You had to pay fucking money for these.

Good fucking lord man.. Run of the mill Wolf3D clones were better than that dogshit!

It's either Batman Forever on Megadrive/Genesis or Taz on the Game Gear. Of course i have played worse 'notorious' games as made famous by AVGN and such just to see what they were like (e.g. Cheetahman) but i actually owned these pieces of shit back in the day and put hours in playing them. What a waste of life.

Check out this music, need i say more?

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Check out this music, need i say more?

I actually enjoyed both of those games when I was a child.

URgh.... I played a shitty game called : Half-Life 3 (Sven-Coop)

Speaking of half life (1) mods... I never liked The Gate series. Everything else was pure gold, and I am still waiting for the guy who runs Ague to make another Half-Rats game.

Rant below.

Spoiler

To be honest, I ALWAYS liked crack mods. FUCK, I am even writing fanfics for Crack Life: Campaign Mod just cuz of the spirit of it. Fortunately, no one will ever see them :D This expands to Doom crack wads as well. There is something magical in regards to these. Like, the authors KNOW that their stuff won't be movie-quality stuff, so they roll with it and experiment. Replacing models with dicks or nazis, replacing lines with words "FUCK!", making the BFGs mere pea shooters while shotguns get to blast the player all the way to the Moon. It is like a very silly drug trip simulator, but a great adventure in itself. Aaaah. I recommend everyone to try and toss the seriousness aside once in a while in their artwork and stuff. Make a mod that replaces monsters with Monty Phyton references! Write a story about a guy going through impossible stunts to survive gun fu attacks coming from random people! Draw a painting of a knight on a flying wheelbarrow! Sing about dicks! All these can help you figure out the real ratio of seriousness and silliness one can invest in his future stuff.

But it can be purely horrifying and cringy when some dudes want the player to engage in their story all the time so they toss in as much as movie elements as possible while disregarding the feel of the game itself. That is why I hate The Gate. So pretentious, way too many cliches (TIME TRAVELING TO NAZI EGYPT HORRAY!!!), and that stupid music, buggy af. If it were a crack mod, I could forgive. But its just sooo cringy! Heart of Evil did a good job with the atmosphere, gameplay AND the story, even if it were a humorous crossover of Apocalypse Now and Resident Evil. OOOOOrr, my favorite of "serious" mods, Half Rats! Interesting story, creepy but adventourous atmosphere, great voice acting, and the gameplay is the TOP! Even better with the sequel! I even dropped a stupid reference to this mod in my stupid fanfic universe of Crack-Life!

Geez. I really need to start doing my final paper -____-

As far as bad games to...there were some that many people hated that I loved.  Sonic Heroes is one of those games.

But as far as what I hated...Duke Nukem Zero Hour.  I thought that game was absolute shit.  The controls were confusing and I couldn't even get past the intro mission (kept dying in the gas chamber room because I could not figure out how to put on the gas mask).  Daikatana was also a bag of shit for the same reason.

On 4/30/2017 at 5:42 AM, GoatLord said:

Conker's Bad Fur Day has GOD AWFUL gameplay. What few moments of satisfaction and cleverness lie within are overshadowed by confusing, frustrating, tedious bullshit. There was all this love that went into the story, voice acting, music, art direction, animation, etc., and then the actual meat of the thing ends up being really subpar. 

And yeah, to ride on someone else's comment, it's...pretty dumb. Like the humor was cute when I was a kid, it's just cringe-inducing now.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. It seems to be worshiped everywhere else on the 'net.

While I don't think Conker's Bad Fur Day is awful, I was starting to lose my patience with it when I got to the World War 2 section. When it comes to Rare platform-games, it's pretty much one of their worst. Some of the dialogue is funny, but I'm not sure if this is intentional or not. Sometimes it definitely felt kind of cringe-y, which may or may not have been the point.

As far as popular games go: I absolutely despise the first Metro game (haven't played the second one). I thought it was completely awful in every sense of the word, and I still don't get why it got a fan-base and a damn sequel. The English version that I own also has the most laughable and cliche voice-acting ever, with very obvious American actors doing over-the-top Russian accents that would even put Tim Curry in Red Alert 3 to shame.

In terms of gameplay, you can choose to either fire weak bullets or strong bullets. The catch is that you can buy stuff with the strong bullets. It's an interesting concept on paper, but in practice it just turns 99% of the enemies into bullet sponges. The gas-mask mechanic was driving me completely insane with how dreadful it's implemented: collecting filters so you don't run out of breath could have worked as a mechanic, but seeing as on my XBox 360 version the game would only use auto-save, it means that the game might end up saving JUST as you run out or breath with no filters in sight! This means that when you load up the game, you have exactly five seconds to flail around before hitting the dirt. At this point you're soft-locked. The end. Fuck this game. Fuck it to hell.

On 4/29/2017 at 8:10 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

Fuck, how did I forget about that one? 

The worst part was that the quasi-realistic graphics and sheer speed of the game meant that running around made enemies blur into the background too easily. Christ what a chore to play, severely let down!

Rise of the Triad was a pretty poor game even in its original form, but there were very few FPSes around aside from Doom, Heretic, and the Wolf3D clones at the time so nobody really noticed. The one redeeming quality it did have, a great soundtrack with a huge variety of musical styles welded together with jazz fusion, was ruined in the 2013 remake by turning it all into painfully generic modern metal. Andrew Hulshult is a hack who exemplifies everything wrong with heavy metal in the 21st century.

I actually liked the 2013 version of Goin Down the Fast Way but it's definitely more generic than the original. The melody is great though, even putting it through a generic "early 00's metal" filter still couldn't prevent me from digging it. The soundtrack is definitely the best thing about RoTT overall.

On the topic of Rare's 3D platformers, they pretty much all fall into the "it's good but I don't dig it" category. Coming off Mario 64, they all just felt sluggish by comparison and I didn't get that direct sense of progression - too much random dialogue and wandering around in general for my liking. While its not perfect, Mario 64 got right to the point and I always appreciate that in a game.

Rare's 2D stuff ruled though, Battletoads and DKC are still some of my all time favorites.

I would have really loved Mario 64 if its camera and controls weren't so downright abysmal. 

Battletoads is probably my favourite game from Rare. What a timeless gem that one is.