Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

What is the worst game you have ever played?

7 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

Rise of the Triad was a pretty poor game even in its original form, but there were very few FPSes around aside from Doom, Heretic, and the Wolf3D clones at the time so nobody really noticed. The one redeeming quality it did have, a great soundtrack with a huge variety of musical styles welded together with jazz fusion, was ruined in the 2013 remake by turning it all into painfully generic modern metal. Andrew Hulshult is a hack who exemplifies everything wrong with heavy metal in the 21st century.

Thank you thank you thank you! God, the way the gaming community fellates Andrew Hulshult is ridiculous. His Doom stuff is very poorly done too. 

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Battletoads

I love battletoads so much. If I ever got a fight/arcade stick I would airbrush it Battletoads themed.

Driv3r: not that bad game but the onfoot gameplay is horrible

Fnaf series: overrated.

Any gta clone game on android.

Gta advence: at least they made it with top down view

Sniper Path of vegenance: Buggy, cliche, ugly, 

Flappy bird.

I notice most of the games listed here are the "Its not good enough to be popular" rather than the absolute pile of trash games I expected.

5 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

I notice most of the games listed here are the "Its not good enough to be popular" rather than the absolute pile of trash games I expected.

I think it's because this is about the worst games people have played, and we can recognize the "pile of trash games" and avoid even playing them for the most part.

8 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Let's try and rectify that a bit.

22 hours ago, Ajora said:

I would have really loved Mario 64 if its camera and controls weren't so downright abysmal. 

It's strange, I hear this all the time but I've never had trouble with it, I can always get the camera where I need it and Mario's control seems pretty precise to me. Love all the different jumps and maneuvers and I can pull them off every time reliably. Different strokes, as they say!

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

It's strange, I hear this all the time but I've never had trouble with it, I can always get the camera where I need it and Mario's control seems pretty precise to me. Love all the different jumps and maneuvers and I can pull them off every time reliably. Different strokes, as they say!

I sorta fall in the middle. They were annoying at times, but I've played games with much, MUCH worse camera mechanics coughearthwormjim3dcough

Guest Unregistered account

Even having grown up with the DS version, as a 7-or-something-year-old the controls were no problem. Although maybe that comes more from having played more of the DS to begin with?

Considering the DS layout is basically like a SNES controller, they did a great job with what they had to work with! When it first came out ages ago I remember being skeptical due to the lack of an analog stick, but they really managed to make it play smoothly all things considered.

To be honest: I think most of the good games on the N64 are severely hampered by the bad controller (let's just call it what it is). The only game in the N64 library that I can think of that doesn't have controller-issues is Yoshi's Story, because that game is a more or less traditional 2D side-scroller.

Similarly, I've never completed Star Fox 64 (called Lylat Wars over here) because of the awful controls, even though I really like the Star Fox universe.

Eh, it's been a long time since I've played on N64 hardware, but I don't recall having any problems with the controller on Ocarina of Time or Mario Kart 64.

Only problem I remember with the N64 controller was kids using it like a hammer when they were enraged. I saw my friend's little brother twist the controller apart thanks to the 2 side grips.

I didn't have much of a problem with the N64 controller, but there was definitely room for improvement. The Control Stick became rather loose with normal gameplay, to say nothing of using it for Mario Party. The D-Pad and Left Bumper was rarely used by many games, and it was inconvenient to access them if your left hand was on the middle handle. The Rumble Pak made the already-bulky controller more unwieldy and disallowed access to the Save Pak unless you used a third-party Rumble Pak that had a pass-through slot for the Save Pak.

If I had some spare cash and a nostalgia-fueled willingness to play with the N64, I'd get a Hori mini pad. It's a lot less bulky and has a more durable Control Stick and saner layout.

hori_controller_blue.jpg

The N64 controller was really abysmal, I do want to point out that (at least in most games) you are supposed to hold it for the two handles, not the middle prong.

13 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

To be honest: I think most of the good games on the N64 are severely hampered by the bad controller (let's just call it what it is). The only game in the N64 library that I can think of that doesn't have controller-issues is Yoshi's Story, because that game is a more or less traditional 2D side-scroller.

Similarly, I've never completed Star Fox 64 (called Lylat Wars over here) because of the awful controls, even though I really like the Star Fox universe.

I never had trouble with the n64 controller. It's the godawful sega dreamcast controller that gave me carpel tunnel.

There's many but the one I will speak of is Soldier of Fortune 3: Payback, it was a pretty bad sequel to the good two SOF games and was more like a reboot than a direct sequel, the only things about it which made it like the previous two games was the over the top gore and weapon selection screen before missions but hardly much else. it was terribly generic with a dull uninteresting plot, and terrible voice acting, it also suffered from modern shooter mechanics such as regen-health and two weapon limit.

Edited by Avoozl

19 hours ago, Impie said:

I never had trouble with the n64 controller. It's the godawful sega dreamcast controller that gave me carpel tunnel.

I'm going to risk sounding like a cunt, but... I honestly believe that the people who like the N64 controller are blinded by nostalgia in some form or another. All the people I've talked to who like it have grown up with the N64. I don't mean to shit on you either: I'll admit that I'm also blinded by nostalgia in regards to some subjects. However, I think that objectively speaking the N64 controller is one of the worst ever conceived.

I own a DreamCast, and apart from the cable coming out of the wrong side of it, I didn't have that many issues with it. The lay-out is reversed when playing FPS games on the DreamCast, but I actually adapted to that pretty quickly.

I'm struggling to think of the very worse game I have ever played. If they are so bad I tend to stop playing them and forget about them pretty quickly.

Perhaps my most regretful purchase is Postal 3. Even more regretful than Alien Colonial Marines.

Probably Mighty Max on SNES. It's not unplayable but it's still a rather shitty game, not the worst one but honestly i can't remember a game i'd consider "the worst".

I only had this game because i used to own a bunch of mighty max toys set, after playing the game i went back to play with said sets instead.

Postal 3 - It was "gifted" to me by RWS, and after playing it, i can see why they didn't want me spending money on it. The open world aspect is gone, there is way too little to explore, the only worthwhile weapon is the M16, and it's trying way too hard to be funny. Oh yeah, it's a buggy piece of shit with broken AI pathing and constant crashing, and it's unfixable because Akella lost the source code.

Evoland - This game should have stayed as a high-school project. it was intended to be a love-letter to old RPGs from the 8-16 bit era, as well as a little bit of more modern RPGs. It just ended up missing the point, resulting in a mess of the game that has all the annoyances of the old school RPGs and none of the charm that kept us coming back. It's only saving grace is that it's short, because half of that time is spent fighting those stupid random battles that occur every 2 steps.

PS: I actually liked Bubsy 3D, it's like taking drugs, but without actually taking drugs.

Edited by ArcheKruz

3 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

I'm going to risk sounding like a cunt, but... I honestly believe that the people who like the N64 controller are blinded by nostalgia in some form or another. All the people I've talked to who like it have grown up with the N64. I don't mean to shit on you either: I'll admit that I'm also blinded by nostalgia in regards to some subjects. However, I think that objectively speaking the N64 controller is one of the worst ever conceived.

I own a DreamCast, and apart from the cable coming out of the wrong side of it, I didn't have that many issues with it. The lay-out is reversed when playing FPS games on the DreamCast, but I actually adapted to that pretty quickly.

I don't think it's the case with me. I liked very few games on the 64, and I remember first getting used to the controller as a kid and wondering what everyone was complaining about. Except the gripes about Mario Party being a controller wrecker, which is absolutely true. My analog sticks are still covered in plastic dust shaved off the sides from all the abuse.

Even now if I think about playing Turok with a more conventional controller (at the time) I cringe a little bit. Current controller setups are definitely way better in the analog stick department, though I think I still prefer the setup of using buttons for movement and stick for turning/pitching. Using a stick for movement took longer to get used to, and with some games I never got used to it. 99% of the time I don't need to move more-or-less forward at a very specific speed, I just want to move forward before the missile/zombie reaches me.

After much thought, the game that offended me the most on a very personal level would probably have to be Command & Conquer 4.

Following the series from the very beginning all the way back in 1995, you can imagine I had a lot of personal attachment to the series. I know a lot of fans didn't care for C&C 3, but I enjoyed it because at its core it was still a C&C RTS, and in a lot of ways goes back to its roots to the first game.

C&C 4 was an excruciating end to not only a fantastic game series, but the story and universe surrounding it. And to the story of Kane, the series lead "antagonist" (or badass if you're a follower of Nod like me). It made me so angry I uninstalled it immediately and smashed the packaging. Just thinking about it makes me upset.

Absolutely dreadful.

10 hours ago, Chezza said:

I'm struggling to think of the very worse game I have ever played. If they are so bad I tend to stop playing them and forget about them pretty quickly.

I feel the same way, there's a lot of bad games, mediocre or boring games with no soul, but as far as outright trash? I'm unsure of what I'd consider to be the greatest offense upon my playing experiences.

I'll just list the games I've played that I've hidden in my Steam library:

Chaser (boring AF)
Dead Space 1 (didn't see what was so great about this one at all)
F.E.A.R. 3 (awful F.E.A.R. game and a mediocre shooter overall)
Mafia II (boring AF, never played the first and staying away from the third)
NAM (should've remained a free mod for Duke 3D)
Painkiller: Black Edition (strangely boring, Battle Out of Hell sucked)
Torchlight 1 (starts off okay, becomes an unbalanced and overly grindy mess later on)
World War II GI (somehow worse than NAM)

And while not on my account I played Duke Nukem Forever before and completed it on Piece of Cake, including its DLC. Again not the worst game ever made, but really boring.

You don't sound like a cunt at all, just a guy with an opinion. I wouldn't say I think the N64 controller is great by any means, I think it's more accurate to say it's more functional than people make it out to be. There's no way I'd ever say it's preferable to, for example, a PS2 controller or 360 controller, but I just never had much issue with it other than the joystick going all limp-dick after 10 years or so of abuse. Mario 64 (just using that example since I replayed it recently) gave me no trouble at all really, the same goes for most 3D platformer type games. The only instances where it ever really bothered me were due to the in-game physics more than the controller itself.

I think a lot of people were holding it 'wrong' for various games as well. For most platformers you hold it in the right position, but for FPS shit like Doom64 or Goldeneye, it's best to hold it in the left position:

Nintendo-64-controller.jpg

Using it this way basically feels like a less refined 360 controller. You use Z to shoot, L to interact/use, and the D-Pad acts as your WSDA while the Joystick acts as your mouse, essentially. The other buttons are reserved for inventory/map/whatever else since they're harder to reach.

2D Fighting games are also great with an N64 controller honestly.. Just ignore the big shlong-handle in the middle and hold it in the centre position - it's like a SNES controller that just happens to have comfy grips! It's even better because it has the 6-button Genesis controller thing going on while also having L and R triggers! Why the fuck Street Fighter 2 wasn't ported to this console in some form baffles me, especially considering that game was ported to every platform under the sun. The controller is perfect for it. At least Midway had the sense to port Mortal Kombat!

photo-2-457x360.jpg

Don't get me wrong here - Newer consoles generally have much more ergonomic design (as they should, we've had decades to figure this shit out after all) but I think the biggest issue was that most games didn't make it clear to the player how they intended you to hold the damn thing. When it first came out, I'd say it was the best conroller for FPS games in particular due to having that whole "WSDA + mouse on a controller" thing going on before any of the competitors did. Would I be nostalgia blind enough to say it's the best? Lord no, but it's still not "the shitty satan spawn of controller history" like many make it out to be.

Worst controller ever easily goes to the Colecovision!

colecojoystick.jpg

I'll even be fair to it though: It's really, really old, far as game consoles go.

EDIT

PS: I actually liked Bubsy 3D, it's like taking drugs, but without actually taking drugs.

Your dealer is selling you some bad shit in that case!

1 hour ago, cyan0s1s said:

Dead Space 1 (didn't see what was so great about this one at all) 

You whore...

7 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

I feel the same way, there's a lot of bad games, mediocre or boring games with no soul, but as far as outright trash? I'm unsure of what I'd consider to be the greatest offense upon my playing experiences.

That's the trouble I had. I almost named a few you did, like Mafia 2 and Dead Space. I found both to be yawn fests and don't understand their praise at all. Then there is FEAR 3, another fucking disgrace of a finale to a series of games. (When they played that Danzig song at the end I wanted to throw my monitor out the window). I also could have said DOOM 3 or Quake 2, both of which I went back to in 2015-16 and found both incredibly boring and way too easy. Or Unreal 2, which has the movement speed of "walking through a shit filled swamp" and a severe lack of Skarj. Or what about Deus Ex: Invisible War? One of the most blatant consolizations of a game I've ever seen?

Then there are really obvious choices like DNF, or something like TekWar, or Witchaven. But really thinking about it, these don't offend me really. Naming something like Big Rigs is too easy, and it's barely a game as it is. This was a pretty good question actually, because I really gave it some thought. C&C 4 was not only a terrible game that fucked up the game mechanics of C&C, but it was an outright insult to any fans of the series, a spit in the face from EA, a travesty of a closing to a story we've been following for years and years. A perfect candidate for my worst game ever played.

So do what I did, and think to yourself, what is a series that you hold dear that perhaps didn't get the much deserved care and attention it probably deserved?

@CARRiON Actually it was a lot easier than I thought: Devil May Cry 2. Now there's a piece of shit that almost made a total mockery of the series before it could properly continue, complete with dumbed down combat, way too many generic boss fights and a useless second CD to play half of Dante's campaign as some throwaway character that was never brought back. The rest of the games have either been great or very decent, even the 2013 reboot which I quite liked.

But lest I forget it, Manhunt 2, which sadly DID kill the 'series'. From a team switch fairly late in development which delayed a release in 2006 to 2007, to a ton of cut content and downgraded visuals courtesy of a PSP port and causing a censorship shitstorm with the Wii port thanks to motion controls, this was a total mess of a game, that early on had a lot of potential to be a great game as I was following it closely. But alas, it was simply not meant to be in the world of 2007 where R* were still enduring growing pains even after the successes of GTA San Andreas and Bully. Nowadays, everyone and their mother is fine with GTA V, so honestly a Manhunt 3 wouldn't really be that shocking in today's world of 2017, but obviously Manhunt was super niche even in its heyday so the likelihood of a follow-up title is on par with a Half-Life 3 and No One Lives Forever being resurrected from rights hell.

14 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I think a lot of people were holding it 'wrong' for various games as well. For most platformers you hold it in the right position, but for FPS shit like Doom64 or Goldeneye, it's best to hold it in the left position:

That's something I really liked about it, too: there was more than one way to use it, depending on your preferences.

On 5/4/2017 at 2:50 PM, Shanoa said:

Probably Mighty Max on SNES. It's not unplayable but it's still a rather shitty game, not the worst one but honestly i can't remember a game i'd consider "the worst".

I only had this game because i used to own a bunch of mighty max toys set, after playing the game i went back to play with said sets instead.

Fuuuuck that game was awfullllllll. I'm a mighty max fan/collector myself, and the lazy design of this pile of crap was offensive on every level. I ended up making my own Mighty Max-esque game years later.

7 minutes ago, Impie said:

That's something I really liked about it, too: there was more than one way to use it, depending on your preferences.

Fuuuuck that game was awfullllllll. I'm a mighty max fan/collector myself, and the lazy design of this pile of crap was offensive on every level. I ended up making my own Mighty Max-esque game years later.

Holy shit, i would've killed to own that collection you have.  Heck i only own 4 of these from the images but i remember seeing the huge one in the middle, in a commercial and wanting it. I had the miniature dracula head, the serpent tomb one with the giant serpent head, the frankenstein lab and the...whatever that green thing is between the lab and the mummy's tomb.

As a bonus i had mighty max set but based off TMNT the 2nd and 3rd one i would just mix all those up (and mainly using the tmnt mini-figures) and play.