Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

What is the worst game you have ever played?

Only thing that comes to mind is like...Five Nights At Freddy's 4 (why oh why did i drunk purchase it on steam) and probably some other lame horror games that irk me like Outlast. Most these new modern sp00ky games are HORRIFIC but not for the intended purpose. 

On 9/5/2017 at 9:53 AM, Red said:

To be fair Doom 1 is marginally superior to 2.

FIGHT ME IRL

Ethnic Cleansing and ZOG Nightmare, with the second one also being ridiculously packaged (each "level" a different .EXE, seriously?) and so resource-intensive, that it got unplayable after simply firing at a wall and creating some bullet hole decals.

On 04/09/2017 at 5:05 PM, bonnie said:

doom 64

after playing ultimate doom and loving it, but being severely disappointed by doom 2 and somehow even more disappointed by TNT, I thought it honestly couldn't get any worse

but boy oh boy did doom 64 really knock my socks off with how awful it was

TNT and Doom 2 better than Doom 64... hmmm somethings not right with that sentence.

Doom 64 actually had new gameplay elements compared to Doom 2 and cetrainly had better level design than TNT.

1... 2... 3... Kick It (Drop That Beat Like An Ugly Baby)

Great title, shit game. It was an attempt to merge a shooter with audiosurf. The game would generate levels out of whatever tune you threw at it and away you'd go. They never could get a good algorithm for generating levels so it was never more than an experimental pile of half baked mush.

I've actually enjoyed the developers other titles though. They've made some quirky games with fun humor, like Monster Loves You and A Reckless Disregard For Gravity. 

On 5-9-2017 at 1:53 AM, Red said:

To be fair Doom 1 is marginally superior to 2.

I wouldn't say "marginally". I think the level design is way superior to that of Doom 2. Sandy's levels in Doom 2 just ruin the experience for me.

19 minutes ago, savagegrant said:

Witchaven is pretty fucking awful...

That table has a definite Warcraft 2 vibe to it :-)

hqdefault.jpg

Dead Island

Buggy, glitchy, cheap enemy spawns that make it feel unnatural, too much motion blur, too much bloom, they penalize your deaths by taking away your money, missions and people that I don't care about, shitty inventory and map systems, weapons breaking way too easily, NPCs that make me hate them, can't pick up items with the F key until the game gives me the prompt, it's picky about where you put certain items to complete certain quests, etc etc etc

and worst of all, it gives you a false sense of hope that it COULD be good, but it's not. I feel like it should have been so much better. Maybe I just really don't like newer games. Like great, you can code a beautiful looking environment but you can't provide good gameplay. I feel like I'm not even missing much with these newer games post 2010, with a handful of exceptions like Skyrim and New Vegas being awesome. 

Also, can we add PLAYERUNKNOWN's BattleGrounds to this? Not the worst game, but severely overrated. Just conformity. It plays like ass, it runs like ass, and it's just another "get shot in the back" simulator. Why are we praising early access games???

3 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

I wouldn't say "marginally". I think the level design is way superior to that of Doom 2. Sandy's levels in Doom 2 just ruin the experience for me.

The new enemies aside from the mancubus and arguably the revenant all suck shit too.

25 minutes ago, stru said:

Also, can we add PLAYERUNKNOWN's BattleGrounds to this? Not the worst game, but severely overrated. Just conformity. It plays like ass, it runs like ass, and it's just another "get shot in the back" simulator. Why are we praising early access games???

Even Cr1tikal and crew are playing this game too much on Twitch. That's pretty much the reason why. Everyone's fav streamers can stream it on Twitch and fans can join. Clever but meh, I thought it was fun to watch at first but then it got old real quick. 

Same with Friday the 13th

1 hour ago, Neurosis said:

Even Cr1tikal and crew are playing this game too much on Twitch. That's pretty much the reason why. Everyone's fav streamers can stream it on Twitch and fans can join. Clever but meh, I thought it was fun to watch at first but then it got old real quick. 

Same with Friday the 13th

It also doesn't help that I don't have friends to play with... queue sad frog

1 hour ago, Synndra said:

The PC port of Dark Souls 1.

Isn't it supposedly better than the PS3 version if you play it with mods? That's what I often hear.

Postal 3.  Game was a horrid mess.  Postal 2 was by no means a masterpiece, but it was kind of fun in its own dumb and offensive way.  Postal 3 was just a chore though.  Some of the most broken hit-detection I've ever seen in the game, and the humour was about as funny as the holocaust.  

Painkiller: Purgatory HD and the android port of duke nukem 3d. Both games made by Machineworks Northwest.

On 5/5/2017 at 11:41 AM, cyan0s1s said:

Devil May Cry 2. Now there's a piece of shit that almost made a total mockery of the series before it could properly continue, complete with dumbed down combat, way too many generic boss fights and a useless second CD to play half of Dante's campaign as some throwaway character that was never brought back. The rest of the games have either been great or very decent, even the 2013 reboot which I quite liked.

Well, hello old post -- nice to agree with you!

There's been 1001 interpretations of the original question in the title, and "bad sequels to great games" is always a fun one. DMC2 was a total letdown in every way (except music; there's some pretty great tracks) and is a rather interesting case study on how not to make a sequel. Every single game mechanic was dumbed down, with seemingly no regard toward the things that made the original game good in the first place. It parallels Deus Ex: Invisible War rather closely, really.

Now, to turn the question on its head, let's look at "objectively bad games you actually enjoyed to some degree" so I can talk about the really weird Painkiller expansions. Not BooH or Overdose* -- I'm talking Resurrection et.al. These are some awful, amateur-ish products, but the interesting part is that Resurrection (and, to a lesser extent, Recurring Evil) has really cool level design from a physical perspective -- in contrast to PK's usual "closed arenas" thing, they're these open-ended layouts with interesting designs and strange-but-cool architecture and all that Xaser-approved jazz. But then the game takes a deuce on the whole product with buggy-ass monster-vomit gameplay. It's like having Mechadon make a map layout and then getting the guys who made 1337.wad to thingplace it. :P

[*BooH is great. Overdose isn't -- most levels are boring boxes, the weapons are less fun, enemies are way too campy, and the one-liners are a travesty. Another "didn't grasp the intricacies that made the original game great" creation, IMO.]

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

Isn't it supposedly better than the PS3 version if you play it with mods? That's what I often hear.

Mods make it a lot better, but I played it on release :(

17 hours ago, Synndra said:

The PC port of Dark Souls 1.

I refunded my Steam copy of it. Not even those hacky "mods" (keep in mind: the game does not have official mod-support) could improve the experience for me. Absolutely dreadful, but people are going to buy it anyway because "DARK SOULS, HUHUEHU, GIT GUD, HUAHWDUAH!!!".

4 hours ago, savagegrant said:

This was also a big steaming pile of arse...

BORN DEAD!!!

DEAD!!!

It's certainly the worst first person shooter I've ever played, that's for sure. 

On 9/13/2017 at 1:30 PM, Neurosis said:

Dead Island

Buggy, glitchy, cheap enemy spawns that make it feel unnatural, too much motion blur, too much bloom, they penalize your deaths by taking away your money, missions and people that I don't care about, shitty inventory and map systems, weapons breaking way too easily, NPCs that make me hate them, can't pick up items with the F key until the game gives me the prompt, it's picky about where you put certain items to complete certain quests, etc etc etc

and worst of all, it gives you a false sense of hope that it COULD be good, but it's not. I feel like it should have been so much better. Maybe I just really don't like newer games. Like great, you can code a beautiful looking environment but you can't provide good gameplay. I feel like I'm not even missing much with these newer games post 2010, with a handful of exceptions like Skyrim and New Vegas being awesome. 

Dying Light is what you want. Dead Island pales in comparison.

On 9/14/2017 at 3:45 AM, savagegrant said:

This was also a big steaming pile of arse...

BORN DEAD!!!

DEAD!!!

Hey look its an indie horror game circa 2012, but with guns and better lighting!