Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoodGuy

Best Community Chest?

4 by miles.

As far as I know there is only 4 of them....

If there are more, can you post links to them (i can't find them)...

thanks

^ Unsurprisingly, as each next CC was started after the previous one's release and was in development for years, so there was more than enough opportunity to learn from the previous one's mistakes.

i think CC2 is best all the Way..it has some pure classic era 

exceptional maps like Death Mountain,Gethsemane,No Room and Elixir and singular

"The Mucus Flow"

CC3 , I think that CC4 was the best in term of level design, but overall, CC3 has some of the best maps I've played.

CC1, because I want to be unique and pick the one nobody else will pick.

Dont judge me.

CC1, coz I contributed, obviously

Didn't have doom builder back then, DEU all the way!  Forget that 3d mode nonsense!

Edited by dt_

Basically each one was better than the ones before it. All of the levels in CC1 were "meh" for me. The quality of CC2 varied wildly, with some incredibly memorable maps and some very weak ones. CC3 was extremely competent and fun, but most of the individual levels weren't super memorable. CC4 was sort of the best of all worlds, where every map was both very good and very distinct.

CC2 is the really strange bird. Its average quality wasn't that strong compared to modern megawads, but there were so many insanely cool levels, especially the weird ones that take the place of some of the hell maps -- the mountainside with caves, the eerie and beautiful otherworld of the Mucus Flows, the ghost ship, and the big red monster parked in the middle of map 29 like a demonic tumor. The only other wads where I've seen such diverse creativity are A.L.T. and JPCP.

CC1 - Definitely rough around the edges, it seems like community projects actually took a bit of a hit after the Memento Moris and Requiem! It's not horrible, although there are some maps that really could have used more love (e.g., map 6, although the author of this and 29 passed away before the wad was released, so perhaps they would have got more polish in a happier world) and I kind of lost interest after map 10. Ugh, what is with those "hit 2 three-second switches and have them open at the same time, often with another door you gotta open in between one or other switch and/or the destination to proceed" things? They seemed a fad at one point. I didn't like that in TNT map32 or SOD map21 either ... I may use God mode most of the time but I do try to draw the line at needing to use idclip. Not that I dislike ALL timed switch puzzles, but I tend to far prefer ones where the point is to figure out the mechanism, e.g., Icarus map08 or Flynn/Evans maps in Eternal, over "it's simple but you're gonna take 10000 tries to get the timing down right" dashes.

CC2 - I've barely played this one at all ... 24 is the only map that comes to mind (neat looking, and I suppose for the newer players it will be a great acid test for teaching them about compatibility options, along with Eternal map25 and MM2 map25 in particular ...).

CC3 - I need to play this again as only certain maps stick out in my head but they were good ones (the lengthy and interesting cave complexes of 20 and 25, the techbase puzzle madness of 15, the "story" bit of the secret maps; overall I think 25 was my fave map, and it's also fairly unique, not a lot of notable Doom maps with that size and interesting complexity without needing to use the keys at all).

CC4 - Quite good. As Freedoom Phase 1 E1 czar I feel a pang of sadness, as I don't think much of anyone is going to really be able to come close to the level of techbase design aptitude of map08, map20, or especially the delicious oeuvre that is map21 (indeed, it's hard to even see lupinx-Kassman be able to top Shaman's Device).

Overall I'd say it's between CC3 and CC4, though, and it's hard to really make a choice between the two. Just get the whole set. :)