Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

My first doom map!

What sourceport is this for? Tested with Crispy Doom but that crashes with:

P_LoadLineDefs: Found 2377 lines with unknown linedef type.
P_LoadLineDefs: Found 1031 special linedefs without tag.
THIS MAP MAY NOT WORK AS EXPECTED!
P_LoadSegs: linedef 67 for seg 0 references a non-existent sidedef 0

Edit: After some googling you apparently need atleast PrBoom+ to run this. Would be nice to include that info in the first post.

Hi Zemystic, I just played your map, used gzdoom, Ultra violence. I took some screenshots of some minor problems I saw, but it appears they wont upload so ill give you my opinions instead

The map is really well designed. its got a nice layout, really easy to move around and you never really feel stuck. Shells were really tight at the end, pretty much requiring me to use the chaingun against a couple cacos, nothing serious, but a few more 4-shell items near the end would probably make it a bit easier, unless your intent is to make people use the chaingun, in which case its all good.

The computer area map secret in my opinion shouldn't be a secret. its obvious how to access it, and by the time you get it you're pretty much done with the map, which makes it rather pointless.

There is an imp in the yellow key room that is set to deaf, so even after the door is opened it kind of just sits there while you shoot around it. While its not a huge issue, its something that stuck out to me as a rather poor decision. I'd honestly have the imp not set to deaf, since it requires a door to be opened to access anyway.

The megasphere secret has a very obvious texture misalignment, I can only assume this was intentional to make the secret more obvious? If not, might be worth taking a look at.

Texture misalignments are nothing serious. in fact they aren't misalignments at all, up in the area where the switch to access the yellow key is, you have a wall that seems to just not fit right. might want to take a look if that interests you.

Biggest issue is the crates. You've set the crate side textures to the tops of the crates too. Not only does this make it impossible for boom users to access the map (Not a huge deal if you're mapping for zdoom) but its rather ugly. there is a texture designed for the tops of crates, its in the texture list right with the crates. I'd suggest using that texture instead for the tops of the crates.

the outdoor area is nice, but (And this is just my opinion) the cliff side seems to just as it attaches to the brown wall on the edge. I'd suggest doing some sort of overhang of the base wall to make it a look a bit nicer, but thats just personal opinion. (Your second screenshot is the cliff texture i'm talking about.)

All in all, its a really solid first map, pretty balanced, not too difficult, but I enjoyed it. Well done!

Edit: I forgot to mention for your first map, you have an impressive use of advanced features (Transparency, and such) Definitely keep that up.

Edited by Phade102

14 hours ago, Phade102 said:

Hi Zemystic, I just played your map, used gzdoom, Ultra violence. I took some screenshots of some minor problems I saw, but it appears they wont upload so ill give you my opinions instead

The map is really well designed. its got a nice layout, really easy to move around and you never really feel stuck. Shells were really tight at the end, pretty much requiring me to use the chaingun against a couple cacos, nothing serious, but a few more 4-shell items near the end would probably make it a bit easier, unless your intent is to make people use the chaingun, in which case its all good.

The computer area map secret in my opinion shouldn't be a secret. its obvious how to access it, and by the time you get it you're pretty much done with the map, which makes it rather pointless.

There is an imp in the yellow key room that is set to deaf, so even after the door is opened it kind of just sits there while you shoot around it. While its not a huge issue, its something that stuck out to me as a rather poor decision. I'd honestly have the imp not set to deaf, since it requires a door to be opened to access anyway.

The megasphere secret has a very obvious texture misalignment, I can only assume this was intentional to make the secret more obvious? If not, might be worth taking a look at.

Texture misalignments are nothing serious. in fact they aren't misalignments at all, up in the area where the switch to access the yellow key is, you have a wall that seems to just not fit right. might want to take a look if that interests you.

Biggest issue is the crates. You've set the crate side textures to the tops of the crates too. Not only does this make it impossible for boom users to access the map (Not a huge deal if you're mapping for zdoom) but its rather ugly. there is a texture designed for the tops of crates, its in the texture list right with the crates. I'd suggest using that texture instead for the tops of the crates.

the outdoor area is nice, but (And this is just my opinion) the cliff side seems to just as it attaches to the brown wall on the edge. I'd suggest doing some sort of overhang of the base wall to make it a look a bit nicer, but thats just personal opinion. (Your second screenshot is the cliff texture i'm talking about.)

All in all, its a really solid first map, pretty balanced, not too difficult, but I enjoyed it. Well done!

Edit: I forgot to mention for your first map, you have an impressive use of advanced features (Transparency, and such) Definitely keep that up.

Thank you so much, Phade102. I spent my morning fixing the issues you saw in my map. I feel both the shotgun and chain gun should be used, but I added shell boxes in the exit room, for use in the next level. I removed the Computer Area Map secret. I removed the obvious texture change in the Supercharge secret, The window in the yellow key hallway was enough hinting towards it. I fixed the deaf imp, and the crate textures. Fixed the texture misalignment in the Yellow Key hallway. Also added an extra little surprise in the Yellow Key hallway. The outdoor area now has a big beautiful wall, and i raised the area outside the wall to have the Cacodemons still there. Thank you for your feedback.

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b45lsff3ixratu9/Europa.wad?dl=0 

9 hours ago, ZeMystic said:

Thank you so much, Phade102. I spent my morning fixing the issues you saw in my map. I feel both the shotgun and chain gun should be used, but I added shell boxes in the exit room, for use in the next level. I removed the Computer Area Map secret. I removed the obvious texture change in the Supercharge secret, The window in the yellow key hallway was enough hinting towards it. I fixed the deaf imp, and the crate textures. Fixed the texture misalignment in the Yellow Key hallway. Also added an extra little surprise in the Yellow Key hallway. The outdoor area now has a big beautiful wall, and i raised the area outside the wall to have the Cacodemons still there. Thank you for your feedback.

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b45lsff3ixratu9/Europa.wad?dl=0 

Hey great job! First up, make sure you update the link in your first post as well. thats the first link people will go to, so its important.

The yellow key trap really caught me off guard. You might need to make the lines that trigger both events a bit closer however, since I managed to pick up the yellow key and only turned off the lights, didnt open the imps. But once I did, it was an impressive trap, really reminded me of E1M3 from ultimate doom. However, adding those imps raised another potential issue, in that it requires you to use more ammo. I had an even harder time with ammo in the hell knight area after that trap. Nothing serious, I managed to do it, but it was tighter. I would recommend placing maybe two sets of 4 shell items in the room that opens up after you pick up the yellow key (There used to be the deaf imp in there)

The outdoor area looks SO much better now, seriously. huge improvement just by adding that wall, really well done on that.

All in all, its positive! well done!

This is a pretty fun, thoughtful little level where you're playing with some different visual ideas and themes. Only hangup I had was the crates in the west room were a big snug (I used gzdoom 1.9.1 on uv) to squeeze between for my taste. Cool stuff!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/140502473 = playtested as the second map of this session.

Not bad at all for a first map. Detailing was on point (bar that one weird jarring cut off of the grey rock outside next to the base door), and the gameplay (deaf monsters in odd places?) was decent to boot.

Nice starter map, an enjoyable 10 minutes. Interesting use of Doom monsters, aside from a lonely chaingunner no other zombies present, thought it was a nice design choice. Didn't really looked for any serious bugs, just blazed through it, still the secrets were easy enough to find. Some imps in the monster closets near the yellow key stayed in their rooms, probably better to have them all come out as soon as they hear the noise. I think a few more traps here and there could really spice up gameplay so more. Easy map to play, but a good effort for a first map attempt.

On 30.4.2017 at 5:37 AM, torekk said:

What sourceport is this for? Tested with Crispy Doom but that crashes with:

[...]

Edit: After some googling you apparently need atleast PrBoom+ to run this. Would be nice to include that info in the first post.

Sorry, but I didn't even get it to run with PrBoom+. And I couldn't even rebuild the nodes with glBSP.

What editor or export settings did you use to create this map? I am afraid, as it is now, it will not run with anything but ZDoom. :(

Just now, fabian said:

Sorry, but I didn't even get it to run with PrBoom+. And I couldn't even rebuild the nodes with glBSP.

What editor or export settings did you use to create this map? I am afraid, as it is now, it will not run with anything but ZDoom. :(

This map is for zdoom based ports and won't run in vanilla based ports. 

On 5/6/2017 at 2:57 AM, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/140502473 = playtested as the second map of this session.

Not bad at all for a first map. Detailing was on point (bar that one weird jarring cut off of the grey rock outside next to the base door), and the gameplay (deaf monsters in odd places?) was decent to boot.

Hey suitepee, thanks for testing out my map! I noticed in the description of the stream archive, you played delta domain! I was actually invited onto this project so thats always nice. I gave you a follow, and i look forward to watching your streams!