Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LGN-76

Have you ever bought a copy of DOOM just because it had a bonus item you wanted?

Yesterday I went to Walmart and bought another copy of DOOM 3 BFG Edition for PS3, just because I wanted the Classic DOOM poster that came with it. I had $20 ready for the purchase, but it actually turned out to be $13.65 total! Plus I have two PS3s, so it all worked out...

So I figured this would make an interesting thread. Did YOU ever buy an unnecessary copy of DOOM just because there was a trinket included with it that you desperately wanted?

I bought Doom Collector's Edition because at some point I had misplaced my original copy of Doom 2. I didn't even care about original Doom or Final Doom at the time. But now I'm glad I bought it.

Well I bought the Original Doom II Bigbox from 1994 just to... have it ? I think I will never run the CD cause... what for ?

Here's a funny one. I bought Doom 3 Collector's Edition for Xbox and had no idea it had SEWERS and BETRAY, found out way later and then realized that is the only thing different about it. I already had all the Dooms on PC at this point so I didn't even need to buy it, but it had a badass case and I am a Doom collector.

I bought the Doom 3 BFG edition because of the Classic Doom stuff it contained. I forget what. It is still unopened. :p

Ya, had the original special edition of doom 3 for the xbox with the metal case, bought the newer doom 3 bfg edition and the collectors edition of doom 4.

I did it the other way around. I bought Doom BFG edition just to be able to say I own the Doom games and never touched it again since I had first seen the pills on healing items. I am actually thankful that this version was such a fuckup, because if I remember correctly, it was what made me find Zdoom and torrent the unmodified Doom WADS.

Not to mention that Doom 3 and RoE included in my copy of this edition instantly crashes after intro wherever I install it. Well, I wouldn't have played it anyway because of the gameplay and design changes implemented in this version. Torrents save the day yet again with a perfectly working compilation of the original version of Doom 3 and RoE.

Didn't they have to change the crosses to pills for legal reasons? I don't really see how that's such a huge screw up on their part. :P

7 minutes ago, Pavera said:

Didn't they have to change the crosses to pills for legal reasons? I don't really see how that's such a huge screw up on their part. :P

Something like that was the official reason, yeah. Something about the red cross symbol being trademarked. But I carefully examine any change and compare it to the vanilla version. I rarely ever use any gameplay modification and every visual change has to go through my thorough critical analysis of improving upon the vanilla version but not changing the feel in any way. Those that are meaningless and ugly never get through. I just couldn't get over it no matter how I tried. A part of my Doom experience was fundamentally tainted and flawed. It was just plain wrong. Every time I saw an item with a pill instead of a red cross I shivered.

As an example, I will never use hardware render, because it cannot replicate the partial invisibility effect in the same way as the original renderer. Spectres are much more clearly visible with the HW renderer offered by GZDoom and using the fuzz effect, while in SW mode, they are barely visible as they should be. Even the ubiquitous jumping of weapons and ammo from killed former humans triggers me. It has to spawn on the ground.

I don't have problems with technical fixes, like the blockmap bug fix, removing lost soul limit, or disabling infinitely tall actors. Improving the smoothness and crispness of the original sprite animations is fine, significantly changing ANY sound is not. I am currently in the process of making the "Beautiful Doom" mod suit my tastes.

I know I'm probably one of the few, if not the only one who is bothered by such things. I can't explain it, but I just can't enjoy Doom, unless the original feel is "right".

2 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

Something like that was the official reason, yeah. Something about the red cross symbol being trademarked. 

No. Please read the FAQ.

11 minutes ago, fraggle said:

No. Please read the FAQ.

Has anyone made a sprite replacement of green and white instead of the red and white?

idbeholdME, I find it funny that you are adamant about the whole original look/feel of Doom: unmodified, unbastardized, and as-intended, yet also go and talk up the good of illegally downloading the games.

Like, *golfclap*

Well...
A couple of months ago i bought the BFG edition for 360, just because i wanted to own a physical copy of Doom 3... and because it had the kickass classic poster that now hangs on my wall.

no regrets

On 5/3/2017 at 5:19 PM, fraggle said:

No. Please read the FAQ.

An interesting read, although I still fail to see how it being used in games to signify healing items is disrespecting the symbol in any way. And if we want to get really nitpicky here, the cross on the original medikits and berserk is not even a uniform red color, you can clearly see different shades of red constituting it. Especially at the edges, it is much darker. More so, not a single pixel has the same shade of red as the official red cross symbol. The stimpack cross is close but again, the bottom limb has darker shades clearly visible. It is at most an 80% official red cross symbol (16 out of 20 pixels), although those 80% are indeed the same shade of red as the red cross symbol. Close, but no cigar.

If newly released games have something else than red cross symbol for healing items from the get go, it is totally fine.

Doom originally had this, so I will use it.

23 hours ago, Fonze said:

idbeholdME, I find it funny that you are adamant about the whole original look/feel of Doom: unmodified, unbastardized, and as-intended, yet also go and talk up the good of illegally downloading the games.

Like, *golfclap*

Now we're reaching a morally grey area. Let's ignore the fact that the two things you mentioned have nothing in common whatsoever and concentrate on the second statement. I never promoted piracy or said how awesome it is to get the stuff you should pay for for free. Pirating implies outright stealing from the creators of the product without giving them credit. As I said before, I BOUGHT the BFG edition and therefore given them credit, yet unfortunately, the Doom 3 version included in it was changed and outright doesn't work. I'm not okay with that and I'm not going to buy the same thing again. Since I technically own the game, I have no problem with downloading it from elsewhere. It was a much less severe issue in case of the original Doom, mostly dependent on personal preference and taste.

Same thing when the distributors shove a localized version of some game down my throat without the ability to use the original english text and audio. In that case, I buy it, forget about it and torrent the original version without any hesitaion. If you see this as piracy, so be it, but I do not and we could be arguing about this forever, so let's just leave it at that.

Medikit cross

medikit cross.png

Stimpack cross

stimcross.png

That's called piracy; buying one version (which has different code and resources) of game on one system doesn't give you ownership to all versions of the same title. There is no "moral grey area;" it's actually pretty simple, especially when you consider that different versions with the same name 1: can contain vast differences and 2: can in fact be made by entirely different people. That's kinda like illegally downloading a cover song because you own the original by the original artist. Hell, even when an artist redoes their own song, they redid the whole song and expect you to pay for it.

2 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

Since I technically own the game,

You technically own a version of the game. Stop acting like a broke teenager and grow up.

Now, I'm not saying you're a terrible person or should go to jail/Hell; I've illegally downloaded more than my fair share of stuff, but let's at least be intellectually honest with ourselves.

Yeah, the one with the comic and the figurine. Good stuff!

Now what about when a game is actually exactly the same and you download it but you already own it? A good example is Doom 64's ROM. The ROM is exactly the same as what you'd get from the cartridge if you owned it, so technically downloading a ROM would be the same as dumping the ROM from the cartridge that you already own, it's just the method on how you get the ROM to your local machine is different. Me for example, I own the cartridge but I have no way of doing ROM dumps, not even sure how you do it. If I could figure it out then I would gladly do my own dump so I can use the ROM from my own cartridge I own, it's just quicker to download it for the same end result.

Why would I want to buy anything other than the game itself?  I can't blow up cyberdemons with a poster.

Is it possible to extract doom.wad, doom2.wad and nerve.wad from a physical copy of Doom 3 BFG Edition via a 3rd party unpacker, without installing the game itself? If so, what are the timestamps of these files? I have a legit copy, purchased just to have one legit instance of nerve.wad, from Steam without a physical disc, so there is no way of determinating the original timestamps.

You could always install it into a huge virtual machine, then copy the WADs out via shared folders, then wipe virtual machine.

On 2017-05-01 at 5:34 AM, Nevander said:

Here's a funny one. I bought Doom 3 Collector's Edition for Xbox and had no idea it had SEWERS and BETRAY, found out way later and then realized that is the only thing different about it. I already had all the Dooms on PC at this point so I didn't even need to buy it, but it had a badass case and I am a Doom collector.

i bought a copy of it for the exact same reason. that steelbox is really slick, even though the content on the disc is kind of anemic (IIRC it's the same as what's on the Xbox version of Resurrection of Evil, for whatever reason), so you're really just buying it for the case design.

i've had a tendency of buying different versions of Doom 3 for PC, as well; i have no idea what the difference are between the different-sized gameboxes, but i still got them. i don't actually own the original Classic Doom bigboxes though, i'm planning to get them at some point.

6 hours ago, Nevander said:

Now what about when a game is actually exactly the same and you download it but you already own it? A good example is Doom 64's ROM. The ROM is exactly the same as what you'd get from the cartridge if you owned it, so technically downloading a ROM would be the same as dumping the ROM from the cartridge that you already own, it's just the method on how you get the ROM to your local machine is different. Me for example, I own the cartridge but I have no way of doing ROM dumps, not even sure how you do it. If I could figure it out then I would gladly do my own dump so I can use the ROM from my own cartridge I own, it's just quicker to download it for the same end result.

Here's your answer to that:

Retrode - Dump your own ROMs with ease!

N64 Plugin for Retrode