Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dutch Doomer

A small vanilla Doom map [playtest]

Recommended Posts

Made this small map for you to enjoy, meant to be played on vanilla Doom. Its been tested with Chocolate Doom. The gameplay might need some tweaking, ammo and health placement and monsters. Shouldn't be too difficult for the most of you, tried to keep the fun factor high and the action at a constant pace. This could possibly be a starting map of a cool mapset. Curious to see if people enjoy playing it.

 

Screens:

TEK01.png

 

TEK02.png

 

TEK03.png

dd_tek.zip

Share this post


Link to post

Holy mother of God! An actual Dutch Doomer(you'll always be Devil for me) map, I gotta check this one out. Glad to see you still got it in you, thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post

Have an FDA. Excuse the sloppy play, i don't normally use Boom and the mouse feels off. https://www.dropbox.com/s/svvrvvivazcpxxt/dd_scotty.lmp?dl=1

 

Spoiler

Yeah, pretty fun generally and very nice architecturally, i liked the surprise trap at the end, although that Archvile in the exit room can go, very easily dealt with cause you can block the doorway, i only got zapped cause i was too busy being confused as to why he was there! A Revenant would work very nicely there instead in my opinion.

 

Share this post


Link to post

hello!!!! i liked it :3

 

i even recorded a god-like fda except also a uv-max run (4:10) http://www.mediafire.com/file/yxry916eaf1d635/bon_ddtek_fdauvmax.lmp

 

i've never recorded an fda before so i got scared and you'll see me runnin all around real quick like cause i hate it when people submit fdas where they just walk around slowly and take everything in making the demo like 3 times longer than necessary like what the heck

 

it was a good level, but i got lost looking for the blue key. was it always there? also i agree that the...

Spoiler

...archvile exit should go. i actually liked it and thought it was a decent encounter but for some reason it felt extremely out of place and confoggled me

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, bonnie said:

hello!!!! i liked it :3

 

i even recorded a god-like fda except also a uv-max run (4:10) http://www.mediafire.com/file/yxry916eaf1d635/bon_ddtek_fdauvmax.lmp

 

i've never recorded an fda before so i got scared and you'll see me runnin all around real quick like cause i hate it when people submit fdas where they just walk around slowly and take everything in making the demo like 3 times longer than necessary like what the heck

 

it was a good level, but i got lost looking for the blue key. was it always there? also i agree that the...

  Hide contents

...archvile exit should go. i actually liked it and thought it was a decent encounter but for some reason it felt extremely out of place and confoggled me

 

The Archvile was put it to as an attempt to make the gameplay a little more challenging. Like Hell's final attempt stopping the Doom marine from exiting the map.

 

I'll check out your FDA as well, thanks for posting this, now I'll have to figure out how they work, guess dragging and dropping along with the wad file should do the trick.

Share this post


Link to post

Edit: this demo will go out of sync ofc with an updated version of the wad.

 

Here's a casual UV-Max in 1:34. Fun for this. Those two decorative imps outside the upper level window could go, though, or at least have a monster-blocking line on their ledge so that they don't wander out of sight.

 

On 4/30/2017 at 5:49 PM, Dutch Doomer said:

The Archvile was put it to as an attempt to make the gameplay a little more challenging. Like Hell's final attempt stopping the Doom marine from exiting the map.

 

Unsupported archviles that are behind 64-wide openings are basically harmless because they are a rare monster without a conventional attack, so you can literally just use Doomguy to block them from leaving, dodge their attack when necessary, and then repeat. It wouldn't be a hard fight even if you were down to an unberserked fist. 

 

Edited by rdwpa

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Dutch Doomer said:

I'll check out your FDA as well, thanks for posting this, now I'll have to figure out how they work, guess dragging and dropping along with the wad file should do the trick.

that's what i used to do but i didn't like it because it made me put all the files in the same place before it would work for some reason and i didn't like all that work

 

alternatively, you can use zdl and use the "-playdemo (demo name without parentheses)" parameter, but you still gotta put the demo in your source port directory first aw heck :(

 

8 minutes ago, Dutch Doomer said:

The Archvile was put it to as an attempt to make the gameplay a little more challenging. Like Hell's final attempt stopping the Doom marine from exiting the map.

the problem is that it doesn't fit with the monster roster in the rest of the level at all

 

it's kinda weird when you face a bunch of imps and zombies and then suddenly BAM an archvile all up in ur business and then the level is over :(

 

edit: i didn't even think to block the archvile in and it was still an easy fight

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, bonnie said:

but you still gotta put the demo in your source port directory first aw heck :(

uhhh -playdemo C:\PATH\TO\YOURDEMO.LMP, no?

-

edit:

38 minutes ago, bonnie said:

what do i do if there are spaces anywhere in the path

-playdemo "C:\PATH SPACE TO SPACE YOUR SPACE DEMO\ANOTHER SPACE DIRECTORY\BONNIE'S SPACE DEMO.LMP"

----------------------------------

 

another edit:

Played the map and ragequitted after the blue key trap, way to go me! I liked the green colours and all that aesthetic stuff.

Edited by bzzrak

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

uhhh -playdemo C:\PATH\TO\YOURDEMO.LMP, no?

what do i do if there are spaces anywhere in the path

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Here's a casual UV-Max in 1:34. Fun for this. Those two decorative imps outside the upper level window could go, though, or at least have a monster-blocking line on their ledge so that they don't wander out of sight.

 

Unsupported archviles that are behind 64-wide openings are basically harmless because they are a rare monster without a conventional attack, so you can literally just use Doomguy to block them from leaving, dodge their attack when necessary, and then repeat. It wouldn't be a hard fight even if you were down to an unberserked fist. 

 

Thanks, I'll check out your run as well. I'll add a line to keep the imps outside into their place, I'll honestly would like to keep them :)

 

Archie is gonna hit the road. Also after watching the demo's, I should make the blue key more obvious to spot. Might put in a few more traps, most especially somewhere after you obtained the blue key. 

 

Also, don't know how the community thinks of putting monsters outside in the secret areas, like they spawn in when triggered after picking up the stuff. Haven't done it cause I thought I wouldn't be a good idea. Like you exit the map while still having monsters alive cause you haven't found the secrets.

Share this post


Link to post

I really dig the Rocket launcher being placed early on then the suprise in the end, I found this map quite enjoyable, thank you for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post

Your welcome, took inspiration from Hell Revealed and TNT, and Doom 2, most especially the early maps of those megawads. Trying to get a better understanding of what makes a map fun to play, and I'm a big sucker for classic stuff anyway :)

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Dutch Doomer said:

Your welcome, took inspiration from Hell Revealed and TNT, and Doom 2, most especially the early maps of those megawads.

well ya see right there: tnt map02 has a revenant in the exit room

 

BAM no archvile yes agitated skeleton

Share this post


Link to post

Nice map, with good atmosphere and some good low threat combat (still managed to die but that's mostly due to sloppy playing on my part).   The secrets are intuitive and by the third try I had 100%.   Fun level with nothing to complain about honestly.  

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, fixed version below, removed the Archvile at the end, replaced it with a Revenant. Some minor tweaks here and there, I think this map is pretty much finished now.

 

Probably will make a few more of these.

dd_tek.zip

Share this post


Link to post

Hey there DD, nice little map, even though longer ordeals from you are generally more common.
I also recorded an FDA, rather sloppy due to a slight hangover (enough to affect my aim, heh). I downloaded the version of the map from the OP, so it might as well be outdated already. Nevertheless, I surely didn't mind the archvile at the exit.

dd_tek_dem_FDA.zip

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, bonnie said:

what do i do if there are spaces anywhere in the path

Remove the spaces.  Rename the directory and rename file to remove the spaces. Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Demonologist said:

Hey there DD, nice little map, even though longer ordeals from you are generally more common.
I also recorded an FDA, rather sloppy due to a slight hangover (enough to affect my aim, heh). I downloaded the version of the map from the OP, so it might as well be outdated already. Nevertheless, I surely didn't mind the archvile at the exit.

dd_tek_dem_FDA.zip

Thanks for the demo, the Archvile sure isn't much of a threat once you find the RL. Kinda burned up working on my other projects, they demand more effort and time than something like this. So its quite relaxing working on something more simple for a change.

Share this post


Link to post

I had no problem gunning down the archvile with the chaingun, didn't even use the rocket launcher(guess it's my habit to save such things, thinking there's coming something big ahead; but then end up not using it).

 

Overall it's a fun, but short level.

Share this post


Link to post

Nice little map with somewhat easy gameplay. Visuals are minimalistic but pretty pleasant.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×