Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Urania

Urania.jpg

What is the DWmegawad Club?
This is a place where we settle down, have a cup of tea (or drink of your choice) and take a month to play through a megawad on our own, together! Any keen observations, criticisms, or frustrated ranting about it goes here in the discussion. As long as you want to say something about what you've played, feel free to speak your mind.

Can I join?
Sure. The only rule is that you have to play at least some of the levels in our monthly megawad to contribute, but you're generally encouraged to finish the whole thing, even if you've played it before.

What levels am I allowed to post about?
Whatever day of the month it is, is the upper limit for the map you can post on. So if it’s the 6th, you may discuss up to MAP06.

Do I have to post an entry every day?
Nope, not at all. This is only for our more enthusiastic members. As long as you play through it with us you’re part of the club.

When do we vote on the next month’s megawad?
Voting begins on the 25th of the current month. Remember to add one “+++” before your vote to make it easier to count. For example:

+++ Ultimate Doom

----------
>>>DOWNLOAD URANIA HERE<<<

You like Plutonia? You want more Plutonia? Riderr3 has got you covered! Urania is a one-man megawad inspired by the Casali classic, except this time the adventure is bigger, badder, and more nonlinear too! Strap yourself in for some delicious demon destroying action!

Maplist:

MAP01 - “Bolt Hole”

MAP02 - “Marshmarrow”

MAP03 - “Subcataract”

MAP04 - “Guerilla”

MAP05 - “Terracotta”

MAP06 - “Death Mask”

MAP07 - “Castellan’s Feast”

MAP08 - “Depths of Asthma”

MAP09 - “Metal Mayhem”

MAP10 - “Stuffed”

MAP11 - “Ejection of Energy”

MAP12 - “Odontolith”

MAP13 - “Journey of Voices”

MAP14 - “AVC Zone”

MAP15 - “Haunt of Eater”

MAP31 - “Chaingun Alley”

MAP32 - “After-Effect”

MAP16 - “Rehab”

MAP17 - “Damned Parlours”

MAP18 - “BBQ HQ”

MAP19 - “Seedling Consortium”

MAP20 - “Lost Pendulum”

MAP21 - “Plutosaurus”

MAP22 - “Sicknology”

MAP23 - “Grossfalls”

MAP24 - “Epileptica”

MAP25 - “Mt. Incubus”

MAP26 - “Mephisto’s Coliseum”

MAP27 - “Creeping Horror”

MAP28 - “Disaster Area”

MAP29 - “Ghostwalker”

MAP30 - “The Tyrant”

BONUS CONTENT
DSDA

Lingyan203's playthrough
----------
OLD THREADS

Edited by dobu gabu maru

I don't think i've posted on DWMC before, but I thought i'd throw my opinion into the ring.

Map01 - "Butt Hole"

i didn't die, but i came close a couple times though.  it kinda reminds me of ultimate doom for some reason (maybe e2 and e3), but if ultimate doom had plutonia textures and chaingunners and revenants, and was tighter on ammo and health, and just a tad bit harder.  it doesn't start out that hard, but pretty soon you start seeing yourself become low on ammo the longer you progress.  I had to berserk a couple hell knights at the end of the level.  Relying on saves would have trivialized the map and made it boring, but if you have the fear of looming death over you and scarce resources, it makes it pretty fun.

I'm a pretty sloppy player and make lots of frequent mistakes.  So, a mapset that has easier encounters, but punishes you for mistakes, will be a fun challenge.  I don't know if it will keep up this way.  I enjoyed map01 at least.

All right, I'll bite. Urania's gotten some good word-of-mouth around here, so I figure I'll give it a go. GZDoom/continuous/saves/keyboard-only as usual, and I'll start at HMP, but won't get shy about it dialing it back another notch if I need to.

MAP01: Bolt-Hole

15:39 | 100% Everything

Right off the bat, this set pulls no punches. Lots of pistol action to start with, but cautious play on my part kept me virtually untouched until I could grab the shotgun and get aboveground. I did initially open that door off the start area, see a couple revenants staring back at me, and give a "Nope!" as I let the door close again. Definitely on the plus side so far is the multiple paths going on; you could exit the starting tunnels in what, 3 or 4 different ways? On the other hand, you're left kind of directionless once you get into the base; I stumbled across the exit room (with red key in hand) and still had at least half of the base to clear out, never mind a bunch of the tunnels still to explore. The decision on what to mark secret was rather questionable as well, with the oddest choice being the chaingunner alcove that rewarded me with, um, my sixth or so chaingun. Hm. The action throughout was basically nonstop and frantic, with me keeping a finger close by the save button; thankfully no trap was vicious/unavoidable enough to knock me below 40%, and I managed to leave with 100 armor/health and maxed ammo but for a single shell. Not a bad map. It makes me worry that I won't come close to finishing this WAD in a month, but I'll still give 'er the old college try.

Edited by Salt-Man Z

This month I'll be playing in Crispy Doom for a more Vanilla style experience to match the Plutonia style of the WAD. I am undecided how I want to approach difficulty here. Since I have the option this time around, I am potentially looking at playing on HMP since the last two WADs have been so stressful. I'm sure even on that difficulty it'll be quite the challenge but from what I understand UV can be quite annoying. I'll probably give it a shot on UV first though to see how it is. Also going continuous this month. Basically I'm going for a more casual run. I want to take it easy and enjoy the ride. 

The titlepic is cool, it reminds me of NES games somehow.

MAP01: Not sure what to think about this. It wasn't bad but everything is bloated. The encounters already started to drag a bit, and I fear this will only become worse. Visually it's more like a mess. The red key was stupid but overall it seems that there some nice ideas here. I will play some more for sure but the wad didn't start in a good way.

Looks like that group of people that have pestered the DWMC to play this over several months have finally succeeded....

Although this is one among many wads on my massive request list to do, I won't be playing this for the Club this month as I still have two other wads to cover first on said list (Bloodstain and Whitemare 2, which I'll hopefully be getting onto this month...) since they both received multiple votes and thus need to be played first before tackling anything else.

To be honest, it might be a few months more before I participate in the Club once again, but I'll see how things stand for next month.

That being said, I'll be interested to see what people think of this megawad since my impressions of the author's DMP2016 map (long, grindy, somewhat difficult) were not exactly great on the whole being the first map I've played by riderr3, and are apparently reflective of what Urania is meant to be like as a whole. I wonder if he'll provide any videos from other people demonstrating the "ideal" way to play each map throughout this playthrough...

All right, let's do this.  ZDoom, Hurt Me Plenty, continuous play.

This feels a bit unusual for an opening map, since it's quick to drop the player right into the midst of the action and isn't shy about either quantity of quality of opposition; there are 113 enemies present throughout the map's confines on HMP, with revenants, hell knights, and cacodemons counted among their ranks.  Gameplay is consequently pretty engaging, with few dull moments, and the sandbox-y layout allows the player to approach most encounters from multiple angles, stopping things from getting too intractable - or, if the player dithers too long, for monsters to find their way along flanking approaches and get the drop on the unfortunate marine from unexpected directions.  Where I felt the map was lacking was a strong sense of theme or identity; there's a cave section, a techbase section, various connections between the two and a central courtyard, but the map's too small, and the areas insufficiently varied in scale, for those differently-themed sections to have much in the way of individual impact or distinction.  I think the ideas deployed here might have worked better as a larger, later map with more room to differentiate the themes at play.

There is fine difficulty control so I recommend HMP/continuous play for those who playing first time. Or even HNTR if you feels there are lack of ammo.

Alright! This will be interesting. Urania is one of those one-man megawads that appeared out of nowhere and without any community "feedback" during development. That's a good thing, as far as I'm concerned, since it's not bound by a lot of "modern mapping" tropes or influenced by the more critical members of the community. It's also a very difficult megawad, but in a different way compared to something like Sunlust, with a focus on multi-directional incidental combat and liberal use of sniping enemies. The maps also have plenty of freedom, optional content and no fear of fucking you over on UV+Pistol Start if you happen upon a difficult section without finding crucial weapons and equipment first. The first few maps aren't particularly hardcore, but things get serious starting with map04 and may cause the faint of heart, and the automap challenged, to tap out during those that follow (especially map07). It's definitely one of my favourite releases of 2016, although certainly not for everyone.

With that out of the way, let's Go 2 It! QZDoom + usual cosmetic mods and proper FPS controls. UV, Pistol Start and saves for maps after the first 3, because I value my sanity.

MAP01 - “Bolt Hole” by riderr3 (and every other map because it's a one-man project)

D3E34ADA1C6E5B59B1303AC1DAD10C334DE95975

map01 wastes no time throwing you into the action as you step off the teleport pad. You're surrounded on all sides by zombies, Imps and Shotgunning snipers which you must fend of with nothing but your pistol. You're welcome to run out into the main area (pictured above) right away and get slapped in the face for it. It's a short map, but the non-linear nature is evident already. I like to head into the tunnel with the Berserk Pack (and obligatory Pinky horde to punch) to gain access to a Shotgun and a much-needed Green Armour. There are quite a few places that you can skip if maxing is not your thing but they usually have some much needed ammo so you don't find yourself punching out Hell Knights. This map is quite lenient with most items and I found myself happily SSG'ing and Chaingunning away. Out of the 3 secrets, the Rocket Launcher is what you really want, which makes clearing out groups of Revenants and Hell Knights in the main base more convenient. Bolt Hole also succeeds at not feeling like your generic megawad map01, mainly due to the amount of opposition on display and quick access to stronger weapons. One of my favourite megawad openers.

Jumping onboard a DWMC for the first time and going in blind with Urania; Not knowing any prior reception for this wad (besides a few comments above) anything drawing any inspiration from Plutonia is already gearing me up to remain cautious. Despite having a hard time with Plutonia when I played it first time a couple years back, it not only helped improve my gameplay but eventually began defaulting to the UV difficulty from the mere satisfaction in beating each level. Urania should be an interesting one hopefully; On that note I'll be attempting this run on UV & Pistol-start, with saves - if things go too far south I'll be dialing it back a notch. Playing via Chocolate Doom.

MAP01 "Bolt Hole" - UV

The initial reaction to play cautiously worked out here, surrounded from the get go it was a matter of picking off targets one by one and accessing each possible route before committing to one of them and seemingly lucking out with the berserk path. Echoing what others having already said, I did like my options regarding which direction to take at the beginning which I'm assuming will play a bigger part in upcoming maps. Ignored the SSG at first because it seemed like an obvious trap and focused on clearing out opposition ahead with a regular single barrel before falling back and dealing with whatever was in store for me. Generally MAP01 wasn't too tough so long as I paid attention to my surroundings, not let opponents chip away too much health and kept well stocked up on ammo. I did have a little panic after snatching the red key; my goal was to tackle the new guests loitering near the SSG only for several imps to crawl in from behind and then two Revs ascending a stairway just beyond another door I considered escaping through, creating this awkward pincer between all these folks - one mad dash later after desperately mowing through an Imp wall, it was a case of clearing up loose ends in other sections I hadn't yet explored.

Welcome to the Club, quakis!

25 minutes ago, quakis said:

The initial reaction to play cautiously worked out here, surrounded from the get go it was a matter of picking off targets one by one and accessing each possible route before committing to one of them ... Ignored the SSG at first because it seemed like an obvious trap

I did both of these as well. It's interesting to consider how different gameplay would be depending on the starting route one takes; I, for example, didn't find the berserk, green armor, or rocket launcher until I had (mostly) already cleared out the level...

So I started playing this a few days ago, and I've been enjoying so far. It's quite different stuff from what people normally will expect (the "community trends"), which now I understand why some people got to hate it, but I think this is a good thing and it create some quite unique identity. If you don't have good sense of direction, I highly recommend you to avoid this, because I'm sure lots of people will get easily lost. Anwyay, I'll be playing pistol-start, HMP with saves.

MAP01: My first impression on this was that this takes no cerimony on throwing at the player some more tougher fights, with large non-linear layout (especially since it's map 01). But after playing 7 levels, this actually feels really introdutory, because later on things will be bigger, harder and quite puzzling. I think this one and level 02 are the only levels that resembles a bit plutonia, with some cool twists, especially on the new textures, that look like plutonia but it has some original flavor. Anyway, it's a pretty cool and tight level. I like how rrider uses roaming monsters, and even if there's a lot of meat, it didn't feel grindy. It is certainly better to approach carefully and choose the right weapon to deal with the foes. Ammo is tight even on HMP, so you'll have to be careful on where to go or even let some foes alive to not get fucked up.

8.5/10

I've had this WAD on my to-play list for quite some time, so I thought I'd jump in this month. I'll be playing continuous on UV with saves and, probably, deaths on every map because I like to explore and do an occasional stupid thing just for the sake of it.

So, Map 01 (UV): kills: 100%, secrets: 100%, deaths: 3.

This is probably the most non-linear map I've played in a long time. For better or worse, the monsters get to benefit from it as well, as was proved several times by imp fireballs hitting me in the back when I was sure I had cleared everyone out. Along with openings in unexpected places, this adds a feeling of ever-present danger, which is then turned up even further by tiny closets containing monsters for ambushes that you don't expect to be there at all. I hope the bastards were claustrophobic and did suffer a lot from it before they were released.

Also, the music is pretty cool, and I do agree with Deadwing about the map looking like Plutonia with a twist. I didn't really feel the ammo being tight, although it might depend heavily on the route one takes.

3 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

I, for example, didn't find the berserk, green armor, or rocket launcher until I had (mostly) already cleared out the level...

Haha, I guess I went the opposite way: I got both berserk and the armor very early in the map, but not RL though: that one I only found when I was checking the map for secrets before going for the exit.

All in all, it's amazing how much action could fit on a map that feels so small.

Edited by Rathori

I'll be reading all your comments since this wad is one of my favourites. You'll see a lot of stuff in this mapset, the key is to be patient and cautious. Also, it's totally true that most levels are long, so don't hesitate to use savestates if that's what you need. Well, I'm reading you.

I'll take a spin but not sure if I'll make it all the way if this does indeed turn out to be a horrible grindfest. The monster counts worry me. UV, ZDoom, freelook, saves.

100% kills, 2/3 secrets

I do like that the player can take several paths from the start, though I'm not sure if all of them are 'efficient' - my first play I went for the armor/berserk and didn't have any ammo left for the next room, and ended up dying to the chaingunners. Second time around I cleared out the water area first which gave me plenty of shells. I can also already see a bit of the grindiness, as there were quite a few spots where it felt like as much monster beef as possible was being shoved into the tiny hallways and closets, despite not really adding much. The two cacodemon closet was an especially bad offender, as were the hell knights near the red door. It doesn't feel like the typical MAP01, but it also feels a bit forgettable... I agree with TheOrganGrinder that the mishmash of themes doesn't suit this map, given the small and cozy layout.

You know what, I'm gonna join in the fun too. UV, PrBoom+

Here's my run of Urania:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgS1ZoidySwNLg0TasxFsqmwpa9Z73EdC

So far, I've beaten the first 2 levels, and I must say it's good, but hard. It sure brings in the action right from the very beginning. I do like Map02's final room, which reminds me of the outdoor area of TNT Evilution's Map02, Human BBQ that leads to the exit.

MAP02 - “Marshmarrow”

E1A15908271599D01E5EF1D6618F32738B81EAD2

First of all, I really like how the brown leaf texture seamlessly covers the walls as well as obscures the multiple pathways available at the start. I like to hit up the route which takes me to the sewage area first and grab the secret backpack along the way to the Rocket Launcher. The opposition here is not overwhelming enough to require the SSG right away, but you'll definitely want it for the rather large Revenant groups which ambush you during key progression points. Also, run the hell out of there after grabbing the SSG in the bridge area so you don't get walled-in by Hell Knights. Otherwise this map is not too difficult if you mind the hitscanners and don't blindly rush forward. It's also nice to have over 10 rockets for the exit, which introduces the wad's first Archvile along with a group of Revenants. It's a rather painful process if you're forced to retreat due to not breaking though with rocket fire. Also, if anyone's curious, I made some casual max demos that got uploaded to DSDA linked in the first post. maps01-03 and 10. I may attempt 32 once we get there since it's a rather hard slaughtermap that should be fun to no-save.

MAP02: Marshmarrow

33:05 | 99% Kills | 100% Items | 100% Secrets

Unlike Spectre01 above, I did not hit the sewage area early; quite the opposite, in fact: I completely missed it and wandered around aimlessly for a short while, having cleared everything else up to that point. Thank goodness for the automap. I wouldn't say progression was terribly obscure, but there were a number of places that relied on less-than-obvious switches, one or two of which at one point got covered up by blast damage decals and thus I overlooked them the first pass or so. Other issues included a couple of revvies stuck on some stairs, as well as one stuck in a cubby with a box of rockets that never opened up (the only kill I missed.)

Otherwise, I quite enjoyed this one. I died a couple of times, once to a chaingunner behind me, and once to the rev pack ambush upon grabbing the blue key. (I tried taking them on with my SSG, which did not work out well, especially when they knocked me back into the nukage. My second attempt I was ready at the door with my rockets.) I was definitely not expecting the Human BBQ homage there, which was pretty cool. A (mostly) fun map.

MAP02: The impression is similar to MAP01. And good thing that I decided to do a continuous play, doing pistol starts doesn't look fun in this wad. The yk tower was cute. Not sure about using those metal recolored switches instead of the silver stock ones, they'll blend too much with darker or brown textures.

Chocolate Doom / Ultra Violence / Pistol Start / No Saves

MAP01: Bolt-Hole is an odd little sandbox, filled with combat and an amusing layout but ultimately lacking a sense of achievement. The ambushes are obvious, but I consider this more of an introduction to the concept in Urania: to warn us that such traps are commonplace, though likely not to be seen in such trite forms again. The map can be split into three parts: the initial placement of enemies, pressing the switch that lowers the red key, then grabbing the red key. This being a circular map, there are no obvious safe spots, but there's enough space to avoid a full surround: as long as you move to a defensible position at the sight of incoming enemies, victory is a matter of course. The ending is less a welcoming party and more sweeping dust off the welcome mat.

All in all, it served pretty well as a first level, if a bit grindy towards the end. Took me forever to find the red key, though, since I just ran out the room after hitting the key-lowering switch.

Chocolate Doom / Ultra Violence / Pistol Start / No Saves

MAP02: Marshmarrow immediately establishes a meticulous, cautious pace, and never lets up. While it's possible to approach the overall progression from multiple angles, you'll have to seek out all of them to survive everything this level throws at you. Each corridor is it own exercise in steady gameplay, and it eventually becomes predictable that something will attack within ten steps of movement. The well-placed trickery keeps most of these encounters fairly interesting, even if more often than not they're most simply resolved by retreating to relative safety and carefully untangling the mess over time. Unlike previously, overcoming the final surprise brings the level to a cathartic close.

Really cramped, and although it uses the tight space well, it gets a little repetitive. Similar to the first level, I screwed up my sense of progression by hitting the switch near the exit door and bolting it out before the revenants swarmed. Gonna have to keep that in mind going forward, as it's already become my own personal trend.

Continuous play should be fine in this set for a smoother experience, as riderr3 himself stated. It's cool to see people still play like that instead of having an "every map has to be played pistol start or you're ruining the wad" kind of mentality. I don't believe there are any death exits either. 

MAP02: That was really tight on ammo for me, surprisingly on HMP. I think it was because of the route I took, but I was able to overcome the initial pressure and things got smoother later on. These chaingunners really punish you hard lol The YK section was pretty cool.

8.25/10

This level is a bit more varied in its use of space and scale than MAP01, though there are still plenty of tight and twisting corridors, and even the larger areas retain a sense of contraint and claustrophobia due to height variations and the placement of raised walkways around their perimeters.  Transparent midtextures are used to great effect in the opening section to disguise both escape routes and elevated firing positions from which imps are free to rain down fire on the player's head; for a few moments, the sense is of an ancient and ruined place, overgrown by vegetation that has in turn shrivelled and died and turned brown and brittle, though that atmosphere of unimagineable antiquity vanishes as soon as the player starts to find their way into the technological and industrial sections of the map.  Put me down as not a great fan of the particular, vibrant green camouflage textures that pop up in places here; on the other hand, the muted browns, tans, and warmer greys that make up the bulk of the level's palette are quite entrancing, giving the level an earthy flavour and grounded tone that's deliciously at odds with the choice of music and the irregularly pulsing pace of the combat gameplay, full of snipers, prepared positions, and ambushes.

(Chocolate Doom | Ultra Violence | Pistol Start)

Well now, that was a tense level. My approach wasn't much different than last time which suited well against the tighter layout, poking around corners while watching flanks. There's all sorts of crevices and ledges where hitscanners have tucked themselves into, while Imps and Pinkies freely wander around. After snatching up some weapons and clearing out a few sections I eventually found myself at sewage disposal section south of the map first before working my way back and exploring other segments. First death took place here when I decided to cheekily chainsaw the pinkies from above them only to fall into the damaging pit and finished off by a chaingunner as I attempted to escape. Making mistakes like this won't go unpunished and a good lesson to be prepared for anything. Even grabbing the SSG forced me to earn my prize if I didn't fancy being boxed inside that room.

Exploration was tense while remaining conscious of the potential threat of Revenants popping in to say hello at any moments notice. Hearing them having a party quite early on kept me on edge during the whole session, constantly keeping a watchful eye on a barrier I assumed they were all lurking behind. Didn't stop myself from having a fright upon later discovering the door open and some Revs crept out from a side passage unexpectedly despite still hearing their noisy racket nearby. Also didn't stick around long when those Revs appeared around the exit door, diving into a lower niche with armour bonuses for cover which luckily turned out to be a lift back to familiar grounds. Then had a nasty surprise in store when the teleporter down here warped me right on top the yellow key and surrounded by a dozen rockets homing right toward my position! Good thing skittering about the cage prevented any damage but I sure wasn't spending any more time in there. Didn't have too much trouble with later fights after acquiring the blue key with plenty of rockets and shells to spare; the Archvile in particular didn't last five seconds only managing to revive a single pile of bones. Didn't notice the final switch for a while, wandering about trying to figure out where exactly to use the blue key. It blends too easily alongside the other textures, perhaps more suitable for secret switches.

Continuous UV with saves (loading counts as death)

Time: 22:53

K/I/S: 100%/100%/100%

Deaths: 3

Not as tense as MAP01, but more dangerous due to abundant revenants, who were the sole cause of all my deaths. The YK courtyard was especially tough, with mancubi and revenants and hitscanners attacking from all directions. One of the deaths was to the BK wave of revs, mostly due to the fact that there's enough space in the room for the rocket to make a full circle without hitting any walls. I grabbed the radsuit by accident and had to jump into the pinky pit early, but it turned out all right. The AV was harmless and, surprisingly, didn't even resurrect anything.

Design-wise, there're, once again, a lot of closets, although not as unexpected as on MAP01, and corridors, and niches. I liked the homages to Plutonia and that backpack was very much welcome, although I did run out of chaingun ammo at some point, but it didn't give me much trouble.

100% kills, 2/3 secrets

I agree with CapnClever that this map basically requires a slow, cautious pace, due to the design. Lots of little cubby-holes for snipers (usually chaingunners), so rushing in is never really an option. Always gotta take it slow instead. It also gets quite predictable, as it feels as though every little bit of progression has another monster trap attached to it. Even the monster closets open up more monster closets. While you have the choice of paths at the start, I think grabbing the RL is paramount, wouldn't want to try and do the first revenant swarm (in the yellow key room) or the hell knight swarm on the blue key path without it.

Aye yay yay. Not sure if I'm up for this kind of grueling style. I fucked around on the first three maps trying to decide how I wanted to play and it was a God damned brutal experience with no eye candy what so ever. Woof.

Edit: I was playing without the plutionia.wad resources... *facepalm* Okay, lets give this another try. Giant mug of coffee, gzDoom, beautiful Doom, saves, continuous... here we go.

Edited by Demtor

29 minutes ago, Demtor said:

Aye yay yay. Not sure if I'm up for this kind of grueling style. I fucked around on the first three maps trying to decide how I wanted to play and it was a God damned brutal experience with no eye candy what so ever. Woof.

A shame, as your screencap-laden posts are a great resource when I'm looking back at these Club plays. (No worries if you want to sit this one out, of course.) Try knocking it back to HMP, maybe, or playing continuous? I haven't found it to be too bad (yet.)