Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leodoom85

Best use-able item

Another fun and interesting question for you.

In your opinion, what's the best use-able item in any game, for example, the Disc of Repulsion for Hexen?

The computer area map from Doom. One of the few power-ups that doesn't trigger slight OCD. Because it doesn't fuck up your vision! Or make you easier to hit unintentionally. So it's something I can (in full confidence) run up to and embrace wholeheartedly. And that is a wonderful thing.

The tome of power from Heretic, drain and rage runes from Skulltag, full restore and leftovers from Pokemon, E-Tank from Mega Man.

Lightning bolts in Mario Kart.

Also, the Wings of Wrath in Hexen is great, unlimited flight!!!

2 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Also, the Wings of Wrath in Hexen is great, unlimited flight!!!

I couldn't ever see the point. They help with the boss battle in hub 2, and they help avoid some lava damage in the hub 3 secret level. In the Deathkings expansion, there are 2 "secret" areas that are only accessible via wings, unless I am mistaken. Other than that, they are just a gimmick left over from Heretic...

1 minute ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I couldn't ever see the point. They help with the boss battle in hub 2, and they help avoid some lava damage in the hub 3 secret level. In the Deathkings expansion, there are 2 "secret" areas that are only accessible via wings, unless I am mistaken. Other than that, they are just a gimmick left over from Heretic...

Simple, if you haven't discover some secrets that are next to a cliff or something (especially for the mage), this can come in handy...

2 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Simple, if you haven't discover some secrets that are next to a cliff or something (especially for the mage), this can come in handy...

TBH, I haven't played very many custom Hexen levels, so I suppose they could be useful depending on how the mappers place items, etc.

Also, the jetpack or the medkit from Duke Nukem 3D are really useful.

I couldn't choose a favourite item, so here are my favourites:

1) I will first go with the Thief's Holy Water Vial. It makes your arrows blessed, so that they can kill the undead. And the undead explode after the impact (love seeing that).

2) Also, I enjoyed Deus Ex's Multitool and Keyring. I felt like a hacker, while using them, without getting noticed by an enemy.

3) Finally, add the Hexen Mystic Urn (portable medic and mana refiller at your service), Quartz flask (having 20 of them in my inventory makes me feel safe) and Dark Servant (used him at the final boss and couldn't believe what I was missing all that time). My problem from when I played Hexen was that I only used two or three items in the whole run. I should have experimented more.  :-( 

7 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Hexen Mystic Urn (portable medic and mana refiller at your service)

The mystic urn doesn't restore mana -- just puts you back to 100% health.

8 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Dark Servant (used him at the final boss and couldn't believe what I was missing all that time). My problem from when I played Hexen was that I only used two or three items in the whole run. I should have experimented more.  :-( 

Dark Servants are fun! It's even more fun to activate 3 or 4 at a time, if you can afford them. Then just sit back and watch the show! ;-)

20 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

The mystic urn doesn't restore mana -- just puts you back to 100% health.

Oh boy, how did I forget that? I should replay Hexen some time! :D

22 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Dark Servants are fun! It's even more fun to activate 3 or 4 at a time, if you can afford them. Then just sit back and watch the show! ;-)

Believe me, I must have had 3 or 4 of those, by the end and it is a shame I didn't use them. I was also full of Fléchettes, that I only used in the Heresiarch boss (they helped a lot there).

Just now, ShotgunDemolition said:

I was also full of Fléchettes, that I only used in the Heresiarch boss (they helped a lot there).

Which class did you play as?

Wanna know an OP use-able item? The flute in Super Mario 3 or the unlimited flight...

The Phoenix Down in Final Fantasy, but not necessarily for reviving enemies, oh no >:)

Do mods count? Because the Widowmaker upgrade for the Double Barrel in the Quake mod Arcane Dimensions.

9 hours ago, Pencil of Doom said:

Medikit in the 3 big Build games, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood.

I second this one.

1 hour ago, Sgt Jack V said:

Do mods count? Because the Widowmaker upgrade for the Double Barrel in the Quake mod Arcane Dimensions.

Any game, including mods, if you want. However, powerups doesn't count, like the star from Super Mario. :)

17 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Which class did you play as?

Sorry, I didn't see your reply. 

Anyways, I picked the Cleric, because I wanted a balanced character (close, mid and long range) and he indeed was. The Fléchettes were used like a standing still trap, which releases poisonous gas, instead of a grenade or something else and they got me killed two or three times. Probably, I could have used them more efficiently, but I didn't feel that there were many possible scenarios, where they would help me (there surely were more occasions for using them though).

The cleric is my least-favorite class, actually. He has no long-range capability, his mace stinks, firestorm kinda stinks, and the flechettes -- if you'll pardon the pun -- stink.

23 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

The Fléchettes were used like a standing still trap, which releases poisonous gas, instead of a grenade or something else and they got me killed two or three times. Probably, I could have used them more efficiently, but I didn't feel that there were many possible scenarios, where they would help me (there surely were more occasions for using them though).

This is why the flechettes stink. Aside from the risk of poisoning yourself, they just deal damage too slowly, and are more effective at slowing down crowds than they are at killing them. When the crowd is finally dead, you have to wait for them to dissipate, which kills any pacing that the game might have had. On the other hand, they are one of only two attacks in the game which can affect otherwise invulnerable foes, like the Heresiarch (the other being the mage's flechette).

The serpent staff: too inaccurate at long range, but otherwise a really nice melee and decent short-mid range weapon.

Firestorm: limited range, 4 mana per shot, and it takes 2 shots to down an afrit. !?! It also takes two shots to down a chaos serpent. I don't get it...

Wraithverge: Jolly good fun! The only reason I ever play as the cleric.

Maybe the afrit has a fire-resistant property. But the serpent staff is great against everything except the centaurs. And we're all agree that the Wraithverge is the most OP weapon in Hexen along with the Mage's sapphire wand (unlimited ammo, piercing properties).

Going back to items...Rations from the Metal Gear Solid saga are iconic and really useful when your life reaches zero.

3 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Sorry, I didn't see your reply. 

Anyways, I picked the Cleric, because I wanted a balanced character (close, mid and long range) and he indeed was. The Fléchettes were used like a standing still trap, which releases poisonous gas, instead of a grenade or something else and they got me killed two or three times. Probably, I could have used them more efficiently, but I didn't feel that there were many possible scenarios, where they would help me (there surely were more occasions for using them though).

You could try this: