Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Choose one wad (or more) from each year, that really pushed vanilla/source ports and the average pc of the day.

I have a heap of real hardware that's representative of the average system that people owned since about '93, I'd really like to try a nominated wad on that years' average hardware.  I guess I could just play cacowards wads but they don't necessarily push vanilla or source ports, they just look and play good.

2006: holy hell

edit: holy hell pushed the limits of hardware in 2006 so you have no chance of ever playing it on 1993 hardware friend

Edited by bonnie

Back To Saturn X E1: Get Out Of My Stations (2013/2014)

Edited by DoomLover234 : thx MysteriousHaruko

1 minute ago, DoomLover234 said:

Back To Saturn X E1: Get Out Of My Stations (idk which year exactly... :(

I think between 2013-2014,where beta was released. 

You mean stuff like Hellbound Map29 for example? Huge and very detailed maps?

Vrack series, especially the second one in 2001. It was practically used to test machines back then.

Edited by Xyzzy01

I guess Sunder from 2009? there are posts in the original thread with authors of sourceports discussing fps etc. iirc su10 caused a lot of lag. especially in gzdoom.

Water Spirit (2016 or 2017, can't recall) caused slightly noticeable stuttering on my Core 2 Quad Q6600 in prboom+ in software mode in some places, but nothing to make it unplayable. That's the only WAD that has ever happened with.

The 1994 wad WANTON was so large that the author had to make another version where he split it into two separate maps in order to make it more playable for other people.

12 minutes ago, Memfis said:

The 1994 wad WANTON was so large that the author had to make another version where he split it into two separate maps in order to make it more playable for other people.

In more recent years, something similar was done with Deus Vult (the first one) as I recall.

what about hellbound's map29 "Lagscension".  doom may have pushed hardware in the 90s. today's pcs can achieve more frames in newer engines like the various quakes, while doom engine games get less of a speed boost.

I can't remember the year when was released by I'd say Sacrament. A 13-stage mapset...

DVII got a little hectic on the lord of the rings maps in 2008