Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terrcraft

Does anyone here know of some good doom wads for a newbie?

Title and also if people ask this question in the future link 2 this thread.

Depends on your gameplay style. My favorite wads:

Back to Saturn x

Hellbound

Eternal Doom

Memento Mori

Doom 2 reloaded

Bd starter pack

Violence(only 4 levels)

Ancient Aliens

A.L.T

Japanese community project

Doom the way id did

Mano Laikas

For more stuff check cacoward winners,top 100 wads.

Ancient Aliens isn't a newbie beginner wad, That wad is hard as hell. Do you know the pain of  mike tysoning an arch vile with out a zerk pack

I'd recommend the Community chest wads. they're a mixed bag, but you generally get a good experience.

2 hours ago, ZeMystic said:

Ancient Aliens isn't a newbie beginner wad, That wad is hard as hell. Do you know the pain of  mike tysoning an arch vile with out a zerk pack

He can use cheats or put -nomonsters line or get overpowered gun mod compatible with AA pallette. If new player won't try harder maps,he won't know if he can handle them. 

45 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

He can use cheats or put -nomonsters line or get overpowered gun mod compatible with AA pallette. If new player won't try harder maps,he won't know if he can handle them. 

There's no fun in that. 

New players should start out with easy WADs, and understand how to respond in various situations. When the newbie's feels ready, put them upto the test with a WAD like AA.

Simply dumping AA on newbies is cruel. How the fuck would a newbie be able to finish map01, which has a Cyberdemon in it? 

3 hours ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

AA Encourages a  playstyle that the majority of newbies wouldn't understand. they'd think just to shoot everything, when instead you need to rely on infighting and map mechanics to kill the bigger, tougher enemies.

5 hours ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

If the newbie learns to play the game using a gameplay wad that drastically overpowers the player, then he will never actually learn how to play the game. And after that, the newbie will need another learning period to "un-learn" that he doesn't needs a Yamato Cannon from Russian Overkill to kill a cyberdemon, and then another period to get used to the actual gameplay.

AA is not a newbie-friendly wad, period. The best megawad to introduce a new player is TVR (basically the same gameplay difficulty of Doom 1, but with Doom 2's rooster included).
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/tvr

Yeah I've tried AA but until I can kill a cyberdemon with fists I won't try it again 

Also I've just beaten doom episodes 1-3 so far have been playing doom 2 and the master levels and don't have final doom (yet anyways)

Also have downloaded bunch of top 100 and cacoward wads but don't know where 2 start

First PWad I played and finished was Scythe (the first one). I certainly recommend you to try it.

If you want something that starts a bit less eccentric, you can always grab estranged. Here's a link to a thourough review by KMXEXII:

https://onemandoom.blogspot.de/2015/10/estranged.html

Note that it might be wise to start out on "hurt me plenty" or even lower, though I'd say HMP is fine for estranged. It mixes pretty classic gameplay with some modern touches, from my point of view, and usually it does that without overburdening you too much. My recommendation is playing estranged continuous, though.

I'd also recommend not sticking to Cacoward winning megawads just because they won a Cacoward, since you will also stumble upon things like SunLust, which will stop you dead in most cases, I'd imagine. I would however recommend you to have a look at the site I linked here for you, and take your time with some of the reviews, because they can give you a good idea as to what what you're getting into, as well as the occasional tactical hint about how to approach things there.

If I were to make a suggestion, I'd recommend you to browse the review-archive of the site, sort WADs by date, check the reviews of the earlier ones, and see if there's something in it for you. Basically, the newer the WAD, the more likely it is to contain things that may require a bit more expertise, because players get better over time, and so do mappers when it comes to killing them. ;-)

That being said, welcome to Doomworld. ;-)

The fact is, almost any WAD that has earned "classic" status is going to be harder than the original Doom 1 & 2. I also started with Scythe; some of the levels toward the end seem pretty brutal to a newbie, but it's still much easier than most of the other Cacoward winners, as far as my experience goes. I'd say give it a try, and see what you're capable of. Don't feel bad if you want to lower the difficulty, abuse save states, or look up a walkthrough. Just "start somewhere," figure out what play style you like, and I guarantee you there is a 3-digit number of WADs here on Doomworld that are suited to it.

A few others, to help get you started:

• Memento Mori (I finished this one shortly after Scythe. Seems that there were some obtuse puzzle elements, but combat wasn't too bad.)
  • Hell Revealed 2 (Don't be too intimidated by the monster counts -- there is more than enough ammo. Some of the claustrophobic bits are annoying, but otherwise it's a good introduction to "light slaughter.")
  • Alien Vendetta (Oldie but goodie. Some of the levels are a bit too linear, but the combat doesn't get really hard until level 26. Level 30 is annoying.)

17 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Hell Revealed 2 (Don't be too intimidated by the monster counts -- there is more than enough ammo. Some of the claustrophobic bits are annoying, but otherwise it's a good introduction to "light slaughter.")

I would argue that newbies shouldn't consider anything "slaughter-ish" until they can properly control their movement and reliably dodge projectiles in less intense fights. Even map 15 of Hell-revealed 2 will stop most newbies dead, probably even on lower settings

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I would argue that newbies shouldn't consider anything "slaughter-ish" until they can properly control their movement and reliably dodge projectiles in less intense fights. Even map 15 of Hell-revealed 2 will stop most newbies dead, probably even on lower settings

Might be true. It didn't stop me dead, but I might have been past newbie status when I played it. I did find the large fights immensely satisfying, and map 15 was a welcome break from the claustrophobia of the maps leading up to it.

1-2 months ago, Doom 64: Retribution released. IMO, Doom 64 is a great Doom game for anyone, newbies to veteran. They could try out Doom 64 EX for the original experience, or Absolution TC for some fancy stuff, or Doom 64: Retribution if you want to play Doom 64 on GZDoom.

Doom 64 is a must-play.

17 minutes ago, Voros said:

Absolution TC for some fancy stuff

If you want everything to be stretched vertically and therefore ugly. And that's if you even manage to launch it.

Ancient Aliens has this thing called "Hey Not Too Rough". Maybe you heard of it before? 

@terrcraftguy695 I am on MAP25 and I have not once punched a Cyberdemon to death. Most cybers aren't supposed to be killed until they are telefragged. When you do have to kill them, you are well enough equipped to do so. 

51 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

If you want everything to be stretched vertically and therefore ugly. And that's if you even manage to launch it.

Yeah, i wanted to play absolution since it was released,, but I could just never get it to work.

56 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

IDK, it looked fine to me the last time I loaded it up. I never gave it a serious playthrough though.

Admittedly, I haven't played Absolution since forever, but something someone said once (about the actors being disproportionately tall) made me look at some screen shots, and it was pretty clear to me that the PC Doom aspect ratio correction (unneeded and even harmful in Doom 64) wasn't disabled.

I tried to launch it to see if it can be disabled manually in the menu, but it refused to work on my current system.

Also, I remember the timings being off, like it was still running at 35 Hz.

@NecrumWarrior I was exaggerating i meant by being very skilled at doom

Seeing some pretty hard wads in this thread..

I made SinSeven.wad a couple years ago, its a mini-episode for Doom2 that's pretty darn easy on Hey, Not Too Rough. I wanted it to be welcoming for newer Doomers.

TVR! and the earlier maps in Scythe are also reasonable, though Scythe starts getting really difficult the further you get. Memento Mori is another that starts on the soft side but gets harder as it goes. I think these wads are reasonable for a new Doomer to give a spin!