Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spiritmaze

BTSX Episode 2 and the sequel

Recommended Posts

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I just finished Back To Saturn X Episode 2 today on UV. It wasn't easy for a relative doom noob like me (I play pure keyboard tank controls, no mouse look because I like to play in bed on my laptop). This was an amazing journey on par with Alien Vendetta. I would say it was a much bigger slog than Episode 1, but ultimately more rewarding.

I can't see any threads on BTSX Episode 3 and it seems to have been in development for 3+ years now, far eclipsing the build time for the previous episodes. Is Episode 3 ever going to see the light of day? Or is it going to be like Half Life 3 vaporware? 

 

I'm surprised there isn't more info about this.

Share this post


Link to post

Serious answer before the other jokers show up: Yes, BTSX E3 is still being worked on, and yes, it will eventually be released. When? I have no idea, though Essel has stated that she wants it out before the year ends.

Share this post


Link to post

E3 is still being worked on, just slowly. It was put on the back burner for a while because of some combination of E1 and E2 needing updates, burnout happening from the sheer size of the project, and people having various other projects going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Eris Falling said:

It's still being worked on

Is there any official thread on the development progress? Google shows me almost sweet fa. Seems weird that everyone has a boner for a Mordeth sequel, but BTSX (superior) as no fanboys/fangirls for episode 3. Odd.

Share this post


Link to post

Nah, the official threads only popped up when initial betas of the two episodes were released iirc. They've got an entire (hidden) subforum for development stuff.

7 minutes ago, spiritmaze said:

BTSX (superior) as no fanboys/fangirls for episode 3.

Obligatory reminder that BTSX is literally the worst thing ever created and doesn't deserve fans :~)

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, spiritmaze said:

Is there any official thread on the development progress? Google shows me almost sweet fa. Seems weird that everyone has a boner for a Mordeth sequel, but BTSX (superior) as no fanboys/fangirls for episode 3. Odd.

Silence and patience is the key.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Silence and patience is the key.

Patience is for gimps.

Life is too short. I might be dead tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, spiritmaze said:

Patience is for gimps.

Life is too short. I might be dead tomorrow.

Everyone can be dead tommorrow,but I won't die until BTSX3 and Doomwawe will be released. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, spiritmaze said:

Is there any official thread on the development progress? Google shows me almost sweet fa. Seems weird that everyone has a boner for a Mordeth sequel, but BTSX (superior) as no fanboys/fangirls for episode 3. Odd.

To be fair, a big chunk of Mordeth's infamy is simply because it has a Cacoward named after it.  Millennium, Revelations of Doom, Vela Pax, and other similarly long-running projects have nowhere near the same level of notoriety for that simple reason.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Cynical said:

To be fair, a big chunk of Mordeth's infamy is simply because it has a Cacoward named after it.

I think a big part is also that there has been a first episode release already so it's a known property. What's Milennium? To me it is just a name I've been hearing for many years, but that's really all it is. I have no idea what the project's goal was or is.

 

Share this post


Link to post

E3 would be in full progress if we weren't plagued by perfectionism and feeling obliged to return to the previous episodes to fix increasingly marginal issues. It's a purgatory we built ourselves, but it's incredibly exhausting and dispiriting. Law of diminishing returns and all that. I thought we were done with E1, for fucks sake. I find it a bit agitating that some people only started combing the maps with a fine comb and reporting issues like misaligned textures and discrepancies on easy skill weeks AFTER the "final" release. The maps have been out for years, ffs.

 

But don't mind me venting, it's obviously good to know about issues in any case.

Share this post


Link to post

The only solution is to release the beta but call it "final release" anyway, to draw out all the nitpickers who refuse to play anything not deemed finished.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dew said:

E3 would be in full progress if we weren't plagued by perfectionism and feeling obliged to return to the previous episodes to fix increasingly marginal issues. It's a purgatory we built ourselves, but it's incredibly exhausting and dispiriting. Law of diminishing returns and all that. I thought we were done with E1, for fucks sake. I find it a bit agitating that some people only started combing the maps with a fine comb and reporting issues like misaligned textures and discrepancies on easy skill weeks AFTER the "final" release. The maps have been out for years, ffs.

 

But don't mind me venting, it's obviously good to know about issues in any case.

To be fair, how many people would have played the beta at all at any point between the DWMC playthrough and the "final" release?  If it's not in the current "Doom community news cycle", it's probably getting ignored.

Share this post


Link to post

I recorded FDAs on more than a half of the E2 maps when it first came out, and made a ton of shots with nitpickery.

 

I'm trying to find a reason for not posting those ATM. Probably laziness, or something distracted me.

 

The reason why I didn't post my nitpicks for the "final" E1 in time is along those lines too. Sorting through the stuff and making the actual post is boring. Plus I thought I had a few more days before stuff got "srsly totally finalized this time".

 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for detailed updates. Glad to know there is still a lot of interest in this being completed. Hopefully it inspires the BTSX team keep pushing forward.

I am definitely cognizant of how stifling over-analyzing and perfecting a creative project can be. I'm a musician and if I overthink a song I am writing/recording then it never gets finished.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×