Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slimz

My questions about Doom 1 and Doom 2.

Heres my questions...

1. Why I beginning with Pistol cause marines bring me to this place and didn't gave me a shotgun?

2. Why rifle zombies not shooting like cod kids?

3. Why cacodemons are so cute?

4. Why cyberdemon so undefeatable on NIGHTMARE?

5. Why MAP01 (Doom 2) so easy?

6. Why shareware Doom released? (Doom 1)

7. Is possible defeat Doom 2 by using super shotgun but not other guns?

1. Why I beginning with Pistol cause marines bring me to this place and didn't gave me a shotgun?

Because you're suppose to remain back as rearguard, no need for you of heavy weapons just to check the starship.

Because zombies.

Good question.

I don't know, I never tried Doom on nightmare.

First map of a videogame, it must be easy.

Probably to help diffusing it more.

I think yes, even if the Icon of Sin can pose some challenge.

55 minutes ago, Slimz said:

AFAIK, Nightmare was added to literally troll the nerds of the time who complained that the game was too easy even on UV.

1 hour ago, Slimz said:

It's explained in the Doom story text:

IT'S UP TO YOU

Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial firepower somewhere within the station.

So that they can sell merchandise. Well, maybe. The merchandise came much later so probably not, but it would have been a clever move.

Nightmare mode enables Fast monsters, meaning that they attack more often.

Difficulty progression. Most people playing in 1993-1994 had never played an FPS before. You want to start easy.

Until Doom 2's release, id never sold any games in shops. Instead they sold their games through mail order - you either phoned them or completed and mailed this order form and they would mail you the game. The shareware model is nice because it allows developers to sell directly to the customer without any middle-men (shops, publishers, distributors, etc.) and therefore make more money. 

No, because the final boss on MAP30 requires using the rocket launcher.

1 hour ago, Slimz said:

Cybies on NM can be easier than on UV at times... Why? Because all you need is rhythm, and then you'll never get hit at all. If @YukiRaven uploaded a video of my NM run of the second map of her current project (*wink*), you could see how easy it is... And that cybie had much more HP than a normal cybie does... In other words: Practice makes the difference in most cases.

Archviles are good guys when they try to help you in its own way :)

4 minutes ago, Pegg said:

When the stars align and the vile doesn't get into a fight to the death with a million monsters\lost soul.

Well, the OP asked if it was possible to beat Doom 2 with SSG only, and @fraggle said it was not. Just pointing out that it is possible. But you are right -- it's not gonna be easy.

5 hours ago, Slimz said:

They smile nicely.

5 hours ago, Slimz said:

I wouldn't characterize them as cute. Basically, they look to me like the diseased head of a Cyclops got chopped off by the Greek gods, was tied to a string in a balloon-like fashion for their children, and then, in a fit of forgetfulness, the Greek gods simply let the string go. And the Cyclops never forgot (or forgave) the ignominy of being reduced to a child's play-thing. Thereby explaining their rotten demeanor.

9 hours ago, Slimz said:

Heres my questions...

These are some truly thought provoking questions that make you look up at the sky to ponder. It has been said that Doom is a humbling and character building experience. 

1) The player starts with the pistol because according the to the *cough* story in the game manual all the heavy weaponry was taken. I guess someone didn't do a proper count. 

2) Why rifle zombies not shooting like cod kids? Because they have aim assist off!

3) Because id software wanted flying tomatoes that shoot purple and bleed blue.

4) Why Cyberdemon WHY?

5) Because you're supposed to be running from evil DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN

6) To spread the word of Doom. 

7) Yes you can defeat all of Doom II with nothing but the super shotgun. You have to actually use the secondary fire function on the shotgun where Doom guy throws the gun into the Icon of Sin and bonks John Romero's disembodied head.

Edited by Piper Maru

2 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

You have to actually use the secondary fire function on the shotgun where Doom guy throws the gun into the Icon of Sin and bonks John Romero's disembodied head.

Man, I wish that was a thing.

5 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Man, I wish that was a thing.

That would be an epic way to finish the IoS...

9 hours ago, Slimz said:

Heres my questions...

Your bad grammar makes for excellent bait.

5 hours ago, geo said:

Your bad grammar makes for excellent bait.

I think so...

Since the Icon of Sin is a human head, was it ever a human with a family?If so, what would be the story behind it?Just curious....

5 minutes ago, grouchbag said:

Since the Icon of Sin is a human head, was it ever a human with a family?If so, what would be the story behind it?Just curious....

Same thing... But its easteregg.

Well, can anyone expand on the easteregg then?Who knows Slimz, maybe someone will write a story about it.Would be interesting.There are a lot of talented people here.Be cool if a story driven wad were made...at least to me.But I have no talent in that direction. :D

The icon of sin is a demon. John Romero being inside it is just an easter egg for people who bother noclipping to see what is inside it. (And it needs a hitbox for rockets anyway, no acs back then!)

@grouchbag

Well... provided you know that the sprite of Icon of Sin's "core", Romero's Head, is a mere joke among developers and want to expand its story beyond this fact, go ahead :)

Oh yeah, I know all that, but what if the Icon WAS really a human at one time?After all, it had to start somewhere.Even an easteregg has a beginning doesn't it?Sorry, not trying to be stubborn or anything.I do appreciate your answers, so now I'll drop it, don't want to make anyone mad.   :D