Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Forums are dead

its like a veil has been lifted from my eyes... now i see why youve been posting entertaining content and contributing successfully to the forum, youre a charlatan!!

Rd, the only 'Super' member of DW ;D

Let's all just stop liking stuff right now and leave the ranks as-is.

56 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Funny you should ask, there IS a "leaderboard" that has been disabled because it's too much even for me. I enabled it for the moment so you can all bask in its ridiculousness:

https://www.doomworld.com/leaderboard/

Awwww shit.
It's a veritable "who's who" of "who's that?".  Pretty tight.
Looks like Nine Inch Heels is in the lead, really, with the highest content to rep ratio of 79%.  Everyone else in the top 8 is below 20%.
Is there going to be a popularity cacoward for this?

Edit: Wait a minute!  The likes are different on the "top members section" than on the "leaderboard" section.  I don't know what to believe anymore.

3 minutes ago, Revae said:

Awwww shit.
Looks like Nine Inch Heels is in the lead, really, with the highest content to rep ratio of 79%.  Everyone else in the top 8 is below 20%.

And if a pop cacoward is originated, what model could it be? A pinky one? a cybie one?...idk

I don't believe that a likes-only reputation system is bad for forums. It's when you introduce downvoting that the system becomes toxic, as the forum software itself reinforces community groupthink and punishes people for voicing unpopular opinions and ideas, which creates a vicious cycle of escalating thought-policing that drives the community further and further up its own ass and allows for all sorts of malicious fuckery by reactionary kulturkampf-ists and trolls (see: Reddit).

Just now, Woolie Wool said:

I don't believe that a likes-only reputation system is bad for forums. It's when you introduce downvoting that the system becomes toxic, as the forum software itself reinforces community groupthink and punishes people for voicing unpopular opinions and ideas, which creates a vicious cycle of escalating thought-policing that drives the community further and further up its own ass and allows for all sorts of malicious fuckery by reactionary kulturkampf-ists and trolls (see: Reddit).

Or YT or Facebook...

The reputation system doesn't bother me since it's even less relevant than post count. It's not like bodybuilding.com or something where you can get mod-negged into the red and have people ignore your posts.

11 minutes ago, Revae said:

Awwww shit.

Edit: Wait a minute!  The likes are different on the "top members section" than on the "leaderboard" section.  I don't know what to believe anymore.

She's a fantastic poster, but the ratios aren't so meaningful either (pre-switch posts count as content, post-switch status posts don't count, etc.). *covers my ratio bashfully* :D

6 minutes ago, Woolie Wool said:

I agree with this. I'd be seriously worried for the sake of anything slaughtermap-related, for example (speaking as a big fan of them). 

Edited by rdwpa

If your opinion in the argument is unpopular, you'll just see your opponents being liekd constantly, while your responses are seemingly unwanted. Not that different.

*looks at thread title*

As the forum's resident dead person, I can without a doubt certify that this forum is indeed, 100% dead. Just like me.

4 minutes ago, Xaser said:

*looks at thread title*

As the forum's resident dead person, I can without a doubt certify that this forum is indeed, 100% dead. Just like me.

6 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Xaser's next map to be called dead.forums, confirmed.

dead.like

dead.forums

dead.dw

Also there is a dead.xaser or not?

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Or YT or Facebook...

I've honestly not seen a YouTube comment being downthumbered in years. It seems that if anyone has a problem with what someone else says on there, they just call them a homogay for a week and then move on.

19 minutes ago, Jaxxoon R said:

I've honestly not seen a YouTube comment being downthumbered in years. It seems that if anyone has a problem with what someone else says on there, they just call them a homogay for a week and then move on.

IIRC a bug actually prevents downthumbs from working. Right now they do nothing

When you log in and see this:

havealook.png.defe07ea99a3892b029ee1e0bdfb2898.png

This seems like something I might want to have a loo-Oooh....

9 hours ago, 40oz said:

I think it’s no surprise that Doomworld seems to be rife with very surface-level discussions taking place. What’s the best megawad? What’s the best music? What’s your favorite monster? What are you thinking about right now?

Well, gaming is a hobby, and as such it's pretty surface-level in and off itself already. I am unable to see what the problem with that is, to be quite honest. Not to mention that many of the newcomers benefit greatly from having topics which allow for an easy first way to approach others here. It's not like there isn't any "deep" stuff going on at all. On that note I would like to add that many people, when it comes to more personal aspects of their lives or their personalities, much prefer to discuss these via PM, because this isn't the Jerry Springer show, and me personally, I'd rather it stayed that way.

9 hours ago, 40oz said:

With the entrance of these hot new things in this forum, such as notifications, reputation, likes, popular posts, hot topics, and followers, there is now a new goal to the forum. Now, no one is obligated to participate in this game

Participating in this game is what brings people here to begin with, mind you... And if you think that "farming reputation" is an important goal, you played too much world of warcraft. Nothing bad about some positive motivation.

9 hours ago, 40oz said:

I can’t, however, find ways in which these new goals are conducive to personal connections, deep conversations, intellectual debates, or the exchange of specific information that may only be useful to a small scope of highly interested people.

These aren't "new goals"... It's not like there's something to "win" here, or did I miss the button that says I can get a "rep-payout" via paypal? As for deep conversations, see above. Not everybody is willing to discuss very personal aspects of their lives "in public". These personal discussions do take place however, believe it or not. I have "PM-threads" going, which can total several hundred "comments" for which I don't get any likes at all, and I couldn't possibly care any less about the likes I am supposedly "missing out" on. The longest running discussion via PM I have going currently totals 447 replies, fyi. Of course there's a deep, personal connection I have with the other person in question, but personal connection is personal, right?

9 hours ago, 40oz said:

The people that are winning the game are thoughtful, charismatic, selfless, and the light of the party. It feigns the illusion that these are the qualities that the individuals naturally have. I’m sure some, maybe even many, of these people really are socially awesome people, who knows?

Yeah who knows..? Or rather: Who cares, really? Chances are people with higher rep-counts are at least less bothersome than outspoken trolls and do-no-goods. And if you can't stand watching these arbitrary numbers, Memfis posted a thread somewhere, where you can learn how to hide all these "useless" new features, or simply ignore the users in question. That aside, these likes merely serve as a motivation to convey your message in a respectful manner, so still, I see no problem with likes.

9 hours ago, 40oz said:

Perhaps the new wave of “what’s your favorite?” “What’s the best?” and “What do you like” threads are simply these breeding grounds for reputation builders. Say the thing the most people agree with and score big!

If I want to score big, I play DoDonPachi Black label. What was it that I could win here again?

9 hours ago, 40oz said:

I think it’s especially misleading that you should be initiating yourself within a group by building a reputation on the foundation that everybody likes and agrees with you, before you can ride your wave of followers to say things people will actually hear.

That sounds so far fetched, I don't even know where to start, so I'd rather keep this short: This isn't your clichée american highschool, where being popular is more important than anything else. Believe it or not, finding people who agree with you is how socializing works to begin with, that's how you do it yourself your entire life, but how dare they have socializing on the internet now!? :p

9 hours ago, 40oz said:

What I am here to say however, is that forums are done. It was fun while it lasted, but my attraction to controversy isn’t being fed anymore.

So, what you're saying is that these forums are dead now, because they don't satisfy your personal desire for surface-level-drama anymore? If that's the case, I have to wonder if you were here for the right reasons yourself.

2 hours ago, rdwpa said:

She's a fantastic poster

You made me blush again... :-)

@Nine Inch Heels If he has that point of view, it's his problem...not ours. And as I said, it depends of the user to do some contribution to the forum or not...

9 hours ago, Memfis said:

I don't see much individuality on Doomworld anymore. Everyone now knows everyone else through IRC, Discord, Twitch, team BTSX, etc, and they act like one big family where all members support each other unconditionally and will usually avoid anything even remotely controversial in fear of hurting someone's feelings. Of course, this social network structure will further contribute to this lifeless atmosphere.

i actually think this is a legitimate point, though community trends and groupthink have been around a long time. i do think there absolutely should be more than one singular Doom community in terms of approaches and attitudes and there sort of is? but here is definitely the dominant one. and that can be a problem. i mean, i have a lot of problems clashing with ideas that can get expressed by people on here as objective truths. but there are also good things that come out of that too - people are more active on here and i feel like some of the commentary/self-awareness i've seen from people about Doom history and the art of level design has improved a lot (even when i disagree with it). but it also means people might be less likely to be vocal about conflicting ideas.

as far as likes/whatever it does give me anxiety and maybe it'd be nice if there was an easy way to turn it off if you didn't want to see it, but that's just my personal feeling. i don't really care what people choose to do with it. and it's true that a system likes this increases people's engagement in general but it can also just heighten the feeling of popularity contests (which i'm personally way too old to even think or care about at this point but is still a thing). though compared to the ultimate popularity contests that happen on Twitter/social media this is really mild in the end, so it's kind of whatever. but it also adds to my feeling like maybe it isn't that important to have in the first place?

Edited by ella guro

2 minutes ago, Nevander said:

How in the blazes did @Ichor get -664 rep?

Because I've been naaaaughty.

53 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

And if you think that "farming reputation" is an important goal, you played too much world of warcraft.

Grats on reaching exalted with the Thorium Brotherhood!

4 hours ago, Linguica said:

Funny you should ask, there IS a "leaderboard" that has been disabled because it's too much even for me. I enabled it for the moment so you can all bask in its ridiculousness:

https://www.doomworld.com/leaderboard/

HaHa! I'm a "top member".  Oh boy, oh boy!

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

On that note I would like to add that many people, when it comes to more personal aspects of their lives or their personalities, much prefer to discuss these via PM, because this isn't the Jerry Springer show, and me personally, I'd rather it stayed that way.

Uhh, I've seen you (and others) allude to personal aspects of your life all the time. Not saying this is bad, or new (it isn't). But it's still a thing:

1 hour ago, ella guro said:

i actually think this is a legitimate point, though community trends and groupthink have been around a long time. i do think there absolutely should be more than one singular Doom community in terms of approaches and attitudes and there sort of is? but here is definitely the dominant one. and that can be a problem. i mean, i have a lot of problems clashing with ideas that can get expressed by people on here as objective truths. but there are also good things that come out of that too - people are more active on here and i feel like some of the commentary/self-awareness i've seen from people about Doom history and the art of level design has improved a lot (even when i disagree with it). but it also means people might be less likely to be vocal about conflicting ideas.

as far as likes/whatever it does give me anxiety and maybe it'd be nice if there was an easy way to turn it off if you didn't want to see it, but that's just my personal feeling. i don't really care what people choose to do with it. and it's true that a system likes this increases people's engagement in general but it can also just heighten the feeling of popularity contests (which i'm personally way too old to even think or care about at this point but is still a thing). though compared to the ultimate popularity contests that happen on Twitter/social media this is really mild in the end, so it's kind of whatever. but it also adds to my feeling like maybe it isn't that important to have in the first place?

I wonder if memfis even considered the possibility that the reason why the "family" doesn't tackle controversial subjects is because they've already been down that road and bringing it up again wouldn't be productive?