Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

Happy 25th birthday Wolfenstein 3D!

Great little article for it, here's a snippet:

"Off-topic, one sad story was this -- Wolfenstein actually had animating wall textures. From early on. The scene is this: we were making a cool FPS in a crazy short time. We had an outside artist helping on art, and the art wasn't turning out very good. A flickering torch wasn't well done.  We parted ways.  And then, WE FORGOT TO USE ANIMATING WALLS. At all. They could have really added to the atmosphere and been used for interesting things.... but, well, we had so much to do and simply forgot."]

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/297474/Tom_Hall_5_key_design_lessons_I_learned_directing_Wolfenstein_3D.php

Damn 25 years already, while i don't play it nearly as often as i would play DOOM i always loved it. My first time playing it was on the crappy SNES port but hey, back then i played the hell out of it considering it's all i had, this port is kind of my guilty pleasure.

25 years of ass-kickin' nazis and owning Dolfy, long live Wolfenstein 3D, still a shame that animated walls didn't make it to the release.

Ever wanted to see Wolf3D completely broken? There are some TASes available. I myself have managed to perform a deathless run in its sequel, Spear of Destiny: did some speedruns of the original as well but it's nothing as crazy as the TAS.

But yeah, pretty fun game. Not as dynamic as Doom by a long-shot, but a great start into the genre at the time, allowing for both patient and high-intensity action. Both ECWolf and Wolf4SDL are good ways to get into it, though I really do recommend not being allowed to turn and strafe at the same time: it might seem incredibly clunky, but you'd be surprised how trivial the game is with smooth circle-strafing.

I saw that deathless run before, very nice, I also saw your participation in SGDQ '15, also very nice.

Funny you bring it up, because I've been playing through my Steam copy of Spear of Destiny since yesterday, on ECWolf no less, since if I can run a DOS game on a port I might as well as I'm slowly beginning to tire of tinkering with DOSBox confs and don't think the so-called authenticity is all its cracked up to be nowadays.

I agree however, as convenient as it is to have dedicated side stepping I actually really don't like it, preferring to use A and D to turn left/right as I did in the original DOS game, with mouse 2 for strafe.

I remember playing Wolf3D for the first time... I was in second grade at the time (I think), and this was the game that got me into first person shooters.

@CapnClever: I've been keeping an eye on those TASes as well, can't wait for slamo to do the sixth episode.

Also, Spear of Destiny is a prequel, not a sequel. :P