Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Inspiration for Level Design

All of us get stuck when designing a level from time to time. Some (such as myself) get stuck a lot more often and could use inspiration. 

Post all kinds of art, pictures, whatever that you think might help a Doom level designer craft more interesting-looking levels.

Here is some concept art for Doom 2016 for starters.

lzF0GWv.png

I very much like this idea. I would love some inspiration but do not have any myself to give out :(

I mostly listen to music when I need inspiration for anything creative. Again the Doom 2016 soundtrack is a good place to start, and it's freely available to listen to on YouTube. Otherwise I usually listen to thrash metal or prog rock. 

Sometimes when I'm in need of inspiration, I just google museum architecture and look for some interesting pictures.  I use music for the mapping process itself.

acropolis_museum_btua070409_cr_2.jpg

nma_e100618_f2.jpg

7 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

http://home.scarlet.be/krisverwimp/ has a lot of stuff I find inspirational, though not always easily translatable to a Doom engine.

Also, look up Wulingyuan for some real-world outdoor scenery that probably would translate pretty well.

Doesn't have to be translatable necessarily though if you find a particularly Doomy picture of course share it with us. Weird shapes that could generate interesting ideas/architecture are also good. 

For example, making caves and organic structures is hard in Doom but basalt formations could be an answer. The shapes are vaguely hexagonal. I actually used this for an area I did for my WAD.

XtBaw9P.png

7 hours ago, Sky said:

Sometimes when I'm in need of inspiration, I just google museum architecture and look for some interesting pictures.  I use music for the mapping process itself.

nma_e100618_f2.jpg

This immediately reminded me of this

1x0pl2K.png

Edited by DooM_RO