Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

Who else is playing Prey?

Recommended Posts

I'v not made it very far but this game is bad ass, I'm really diging al the climbing around you can do, the story seems interesting so far, I'v not made it out of the testing labs yet, I'm just climbing and investigating all the pipes and tossing shit around. Have you played it? I'm really digging this thus far, what are your thoughts on it (even if you haven't played it).

Share this post


Link to post

You mean the game developed by Human Head Studios, or the re-branded "re-imagining"?

 

I played the former and it grew on me when I played it a second and third time. The latter I haven't played, and don't feel like playing.

Share this post


Link to post

The latter, by Arcane studios (Dishonored). I'm liking it alot so far, very much like System/Bio shock. The first prey was ok. I plan on rebuying it some time off of ebay.

Share this post


Link to post

I played a bit of the demo, on PS4. It was enjoyable and reminded me a lot of the newer Deus Ex games but i'm not sure if i'll get it for the time being.

Share this post


Link to post

You can wedg explosive containers near obstacles (and then ignite them) in order to move them without getting the lifting 3 perk. Also I'm experiencing some bugs with this game on pc that are becoming annoying, If I alt tab out, and then play again I'v a cursor going around my screen.

Share this post


Link to post

I AM.

 

Liking it so far.  It's not the System Shock 2 killer (it's based more around killing you "at once" in one encounter than wearing you down from attrition, and thus it doesn't create quite the same creeping dread), but it's still really cool.

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Cynical said:

it's based more around killing you "at once" in one encounter than wearing you down from attrition

 

Exactly why I'm not really enjoying it. Looks like I'll have to savescum this fucker, then trade it in as soon as I beat it. Ah well.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not finding the encounters to be to difficult sadly, Using the shock gun or gloo gun to immobilize them first makes them quite easy to take down so far, You do feel quite fragile though once they start hitting you. That flame guy worried me for a second.

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't been able to really get "in to" the game yet. I've clocked 98 minutes so far and it seems to be a very mixed bag. I really like sneaking around, grabbing whatever health I can from the cupboards and closets. Mick Gordon's soundtrack is awesome. The locations are nice etc. The combat so far is just horrible though. The idea behind enemies masquarading as random props may sound good on paper - and I'm sure it would work very well in a horror movie - but in a game with free control it falls very flat. The problem is that most of the time you're not really looking at the item in question or even looking in that general direction. The game is *filled* with crap strewn about the locales, which makes sense, but you can't go about suspecting every single prop when a room has 20-50 items. So most of the time you're walking around exploring and it's fine, but then a loud stinger is heard and apparently somewhere in your vicinity a stencil sketch monster is about to attack. And then it does. Knocking your health way down. The damage indicator also seems to be broken so you don't really know where it's coming from.

 

Another thing that drove me insane was that I couldn't enter a room without either getting a call from "January" trying to hold my hand, getting a popup or a piece of furniture attacking me. It's like browsing the web in the early-mid 00s. I also wish games like this one would go minimalistic with the interface and the game mechanics. Instead we have a bloated interface with long arrays of menus, each with their own submenus. We have skills, perks, stuff to craft. The list goes on and on. Is this *really* needed?

 

I'm not saying the game is bad or anything like that. It's obviously way too soon to tell in my case. It can still go both ways.

Share this post


Link to post

So I am doing an experiment: When Doom 2016 was announced I devoured every last piece of information of it. Over and over again. Eventually I realized that this hurt my experience a bit. You get used to the look of the game, the guns, sounds etc.

 

So I plan to go into this game blind. All I know is that it is a spiritual successor to System Shock, enemies can transform into everyday objects and...that's it. I don't even know what the game looks like. I've heard it has a lot of potential and does lots of new stuff compared to other shooters out there and that it has plenty of exploration and alternative approaches to things. Is this true? If so, it is authentic or superficial? If I liked the exploration in Doom 1993 and 2016 will I like this?

 

Is it worth 60 dollars? Keep in mind that I am from a poorer country and 60$ is worth more here. So if I give 60$ to a game it means I have utmost confidence in it. Should I buy now? Wait for sale or just wait for *ahem* alternative ways of playing it?

Edited by DooM_RO

Share this post


Link to post

I wish the original idea for Prey 2 wasn't dropped, it had you playing as a bounty hunter who happened to be on that jet which was abducted during the first game and he winds up on an alien world where he does the actual bounty hunter work.

Share this post


Link to post

I agree. I also do not see why they would even call this game "Prey" when it has nothing to do with the original.

 

They should have just called it "Talos" or "Typhon" instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

I agree. I also do not see why they would even call this game "Prey" when it has nothing to do with the original.

 

Because Bethesda, basically.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Shaviro said:

The combat so far is just horrible though

It gets better imo, the mimics that turn into props will pop around like mexican jumping beans. I'v mix feelings about to combat and I'm 7 hours in. I think the game showers you with way to many resources. It's kinda funny because there are many things I complain about in my head as I'm playing, but I still really like it personally. I think the thing I like about it the most is the creativity it allows and open and non-linierness of it.

 

1 hour ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

I agree. I also do not see why they would even call this game "Prey" when it has nothing to do with the original.

 

They should have just called it "Talos" or "Typhon" instead. 

I know exactly why they did it, simply to boost sales as sequels will sell more then original Ip names, Kinda silly isn't it? But thats money. Ya this game seems to have nothing to do with the original game or the planned sequel.

 

Some more fun facts, you can use the gloo gun to put out fires, and plug pipes, and stop electric arcs.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Shaviro said:

I haven't been able to really get "in to" the game yet. I've clocked 98 minutes so far and it seems to be a very mixed bag. I really like sneaking around, grabbing whatever health I can from the cupboards and closets. Mick Gordon's soundtrack is awesome. The locations are nice etc. The combat so far is just horrible though. The idea behind enemies masquarading as random props may sound good on paper - and I'm sure it would work very well in a horror movie - but in a game with free control it falls very flat. The problem is that most of the time you're not really looking at the item in question or even looking in that general direction. The game is *filled* with crap strewn about the locales, which makes sense, but you can't go about suspecting every single prop when a room has 20-50 items. So most of the time you're walking around exploring and it's fine, but then a loud stinger is heard and apparently somewhere in your vicinity a stencil sketch monster is about to attack. And then it does. Knocking your health way down. The damage indicator also seems to be broken so you don't really know where it's coming from.

 

Another thing that drove me insane was that I couldn't enter a room without either getting a call from "January" trying to hold my hand, getting a popup or a piece of furniture attacking me. It's like browsing the web in the early-mid 00s. I also wish games like this one would go minimalistic with the interface and the game mechanics. Instead we have a bloated interface with long arrays of menus, each with their own submenus. We have skills, perks, stuff to craft. The list goes on and on. Is this *really* needed?

 

I'm not saying the game is bad or anything like that. It's obviously way too soon to tell in my case. It can still go both ways.

You'll get more ways of dealing with the mimics about 6 or 7 hours in.  By the mid-game, they're just something the game tosses out occasionally to keep you on your toes.

 

As it is, you don't really need to suspect "everything"; generally, there's either an out of place item or an item that's wiggling.  Look for things like there being one too many chairs, a trash can in a strange place, two of the same object right by each other, etc.  That's your tell.  If an object is unique in a room, it'll never be a mimic -- mimics can only duplicate other objects that are nearby.

 

EDIT: Also, the submenus-within-submenus factor is because it's meant to be a System Shock/Ultima Underworld style FPS/RPG dungeon-crawl hybrid first and foremost.  That's more critical to the game than being a horror game.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

So I am doing an experiment: When Doom 2016 was announced I devoured every last piece of information of it. Over and over again. Eventually I realized that this hurt my experience a bit. You get used to the look of the game, the guns, sounds etc.

 

So I plan to go into this game blind. All I know is that it is a spiritual successor to System Shock, enemies can transform into everyday objects and...that's it. I don't even know what the game looks like. I've heard it has a lot of potential and does lots of new stuff compared to other shooters out there and that it has plenty of exploration and alternative approaches to things. Is this true? If so, it is authentic or superficial? If I liked the exploration in Doom 1993 and 2016 will I like this?

 

Is it worth 60 dollars? Keep in mind that I am from a poorer country and 60$ is worth more here. So if I give 60$ to a game it means I have utmost confidence in it. Should I buy now? Wait for sale or just wait for *ahem* alternative ways of playing it?

(Sorry for the double-post, but I can't figure out how to edit new quotes into existing posts with this forum software)

 

The exploration is definitely real from what I've seen.  Like System Shock 2, there is an order to the general areas that you're mostly guided down, but you can sequence break this a bit.  There really does seem to be legitimately multiple ways to solve most problems; the Gloo gun, in particular, lets you climb around like crazy.  Unfortunately, it DOES have quest indicators, and there's no way to turn them all off in the settings; instead, you just have to go turn the indicator off in your journal as soon as you get a new sidequest. 

 

As for whether it's worth the money for someone from a poorer country... eh, I can't answer to that.  I will say, though, that I don't support pirating it -- Arkane are the best dev going right now, and they deserve monetary support.

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Cynical said:

The exploration is definitely real from what I've seen.  Like System Shock 2, there is an order to the general areas that you're mostly guided down, but you can sequence break this a bit.  There really does seem to be legitimately multiple ways to solve most problems; the Gloo gun, in particular, lets you climb around like crazy.  Unfortunately, it DOES have quest indicators, and there's no way to turn them all off in the settings; instead, you just have to go turn the indicator off in your journal as soon as you get a new sidequest. 

 

As for whether it's worth the money for someone from a poorer country... eh, I can't answer to that.  I will say, though, that I don't support pirating it -- Arkane are the best dev going right now, and they deserve monetary support.

 

You know what? I'm going to make the plunge. It's 32 pounds on GMG.

 

EDIT:

 

I hope I won't regret this but I have listened to a few reviews and I feel confident about it.

Edited by DooM_RO

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Jayextee said:

I am.

2 hours in (I play in small bursts) and I can't say I'm enjoying it much.

 

Tomorrow I am trading in Prey for store credit. After last year's DOOM being officially hot shit, this is a wet fart.

Share this post


Link to post

If you're having problems with lethality from Phantoms, try approaching combat situations from stealth.  That sneak attack bonus is big -- one point-blank shotgun blast with the first level of sneak attack upgrade will one-shot a Phantom.

 

Unlike SS2, it's unwise to fight directly if you're not specced to specialize in combat (it can be done, but you'll probably need to waste grenades if that situation comes up).  You have to play to your strengths.

 

If you *are* combat specced, try combining your weapons.  Freeze something with Gloo, then blast him point-blank with the shotgun (which will probably make him recoil enough that you can just stand-and-deliver to finish him off).

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, MrGlide said:

I know exactly why they did it, simply to boost sales as sequels will sell more then original Ip names, Kinda silly isn't it? But thats money. Ya this game seems to have nothing to do with the original game or the planned sequel.

It would have made sense if we were talking about Doom or Wolfenstein, but Prey is not exactly a recognisable brand to begin with. I mean, I guess the original sold well enough to warrant a sequel that ultimately got canned, but I do not think that many people even remember it - thanks in part to the game having all but removed from sale in recent years.

 

7 hours ago, Linguica said:

Because Bethesda, basically.

 

Which is incomprehensible, as they also published Arkane's Dishonored, which was also a brand new intellectual property.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

Share this post


Link to post

I like the first part of the review video, but the guy has to be joking when saying you don't become "godlike", the psychic abilitys are crazy strong, and personally I hate games that make you into some kind of death machine by default, removes any kind of power fantasy from those who practice to get good at these games that can earn that in intelligent and tactical combat. 

 

Sorry you're not digging it Jayextee, I'm enjoying it more as I get deeper into the game personally.

 

4 hours ago, Cynical said:

If you're having problems with lethality from Phantoms,

or just thow explosive barrels at them, thats what I do for everything dangerous for the most part, phantoms in particular I just shock them and run up, then two peice them with the shotty.

Share this post


Link to post

It is really a shame Arkane Studios could not be bothered to make a PC demo, like they did with Dishonored 2 not long ago. As a long-time System Shock 2 fan, I would not mind giving this a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

It is really a shame Arkane Studios could not be bothered to make a PC demo, like they did with Dishonored 2 not long ago. As a long-time System Shock 2 fan, I would not mind giving this a shot.

Fun fact, the 'demo' on consoles is actually the full game, albeit capped at a 1 hour playing limit. This would break on Steam as you can refund a game after two hours of playing.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, MrGlide said:

Sorry you're not digging it Jayextee, I'm enjoying it more as I get deeper into the game personally.

 

You don't have to apologise, we all have different tastes and that's okay.

Personally, I've found my taste in games is getting more impatient and action-hungry as I get older; despite being assured that I'd start to mellow and appreciate more RPGs and narrative-heavy titles as I entered my '30s. I'm 36 now, and I had more time for those things as a hyperactive teenager than I do now.

 

Which probably fuelled my frustration with Prey -- I wanted to get in there and fight, not sneak around looting cabinets for lemon peels to eventually fabricate a thing that may or may not help somewhere down the line. I went in knowing it "wasn't my kinda thing", but tried to keep an open mind: as such, I am unconverted.

 

You dig it? That's fine too.

Share this post


Link to post

Ya, I get where you're coming from, Now that I'm thinking about it, this games combat does force the progression to slow down quite a bit. I wish you could sprint while carrying things, it would speed up much of the optimal engagement stratigies when dealing with the typhon.

 

I do think this game out does the bioshock games when it comes to many of the things bio/system shock brought to the table. The options to deal with situations and all the alternate ways of getting to things is cool, and I love how you can climb anywhere you see.

Share this post


Link to post

I played the demo... I dunno... not sure how I feel. Intro got me hooked, but it just feels like System Shock set in space Rapture. I'm also completely indifferent to the protagonist; I was immediately drawn to Tommy in the original Prey as a cynical American Indian dealing with life on a reservation and racist visitors to the bar. This character? Apparently I forgot my memory because of a chip or something, I dunno, I didn't particularly care who I was or why I was here. The opening scene of the original Prey told me everything I needed to know about my character... I really didn't know or care about Morgan Yu.

 

$45/$60 if you like Bioshock

$20/$60 if you were a fan of the original

flipper.gifflipper.gifsnorkel3.gifsnorkel3.gif

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×