Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

What the hell is up with "skulltag.net"?

http://www.skulltag.net/

Anyone have any info on this? I know this was an actual Skulltag related domain for some time, but it looks like in 2013 or so (judging by the fragmented remains on archive.org) someone named Stuart Millheiser either hijacked it or was given access to it..?

On the page that's currently up, you can see some dirty rotten lies about how this Stuart fellow developed Skulltag (load of bullshit obviously as Brad Carney was the original brain behind Skulltag) and that Doom was made by and is the property of "Axero Intranet Software".. What the shit?

Any info on his would be greatly appreciated. It just stinks that this domain exists to give some random buttwipe credit for stuff that other developers poured effort into and I'd like to know what the hell this is all about..

Guest Unregistered account

Oh crap, I used to visit SkullTag.net for no other reason than to take a gander at the pictures/history.

Luckily, the site seems at least salvageable, as the layout seems to be the same and it's not the same kind of travesty that happened to MarioKartWii.com.

I think the question is whether or not Carnevil would care about taking back the site.

Well, Skulltag.com is still up and running, but the whole thing is still so strange.. I'm just wondering how this person got ahold of the domain (which was, at one point, official) and why they're lying about having made Skulltag?

I expect it's either just because they can (they don't know what SkullTag is and think people will see them as some awesome game maker or something) or because they're trying to push out some kind of malicious/etc. software in the hopes people will think it's SkullTag.

Other than that... yeah, I dunno. Suuuuuper weird.

Okay, this seems to get even stranger the more I try to look into it.

"Live intranet software"?? What is this guy trying to promote?

The only person under the name Stuart Millheiser I can find is, according to Wikipedia, some kind of doctor? =|

I... don't know what to make of this.

The skulltag.net domain was created back when the skulltag dev team found out they couldn't easily update stuff on skulltag.com for some reason. (Perhaps just because Carn was too focused on Wrack to do the updates himself?) This lead to some drama that's not really worth remembering. Eventually skulltag.net was abandoned, and anyway the development team moved on to Zandronum a bit later.

So this Stuart fellow just bought the domain name after it had expired and is trying to run some weird vanity scam? I think the best thing to do is just to ignore it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a domain bought by someone who is looking to infect people's computers with malware and spyware.

Even though Zandronum is a thing, I know for a fact that some people still use Skulltag for playing Doom wads. I wouldn't be surprised if some poor newcomer decided to look it up and fell victim to this sort of spyware bait.

Do the folks over at the Zandronum forums know about this? This..Stuart person and the domain name stuff?

Doubtful, but why would they care? There is nothing they could do about it anyway. Also, Carnevil never once directed anyone to zandronum from skulltag.com, not even referencing it in http://www.skulltag.com/itends/ so people new to the scene are grabbing skulltag with no knowledge of zandronum at all. Also http://www.skulltag.com/theft/ is relevant once again.

Well, I mean, SkullTag.com is still up, so... it's not all bad?

The crickets own it now.

This thread has so many dramatic.......pauses.....and so many inappropriately placed question marks?

This seems like some kind of scam though.  I hope nobody downloada anything from there.

Just google the "creator" listed on the page. I don't want to say his name here because it may be doxxing. But on the website there are links to some ALS stuff and when you Google his name you see a lot of people claiming he's a scam artist posing as someone who cares about ALS. Didn't dig further. But yeah, he's not Brad Carney and the Doom copyright isn't given to Id Software so it seems pretty suspicious plus the fact there is clearly some kind of charity scam bullshit happening.

On another note, I still don't know what the actual Skulltag drama was (this seems completely separate and opportunistic)

I pretty much came to the same conclusion, I couldn't find anything beyond that either. Weird opportunistic scam artist behavior. Guess he just bought the domain after the official lease on skulltag.net expired.