What if Doom 5 was developed like Doom 2 did?

What would be changed? What would be new?

I am talking Doom 5 being developed as same as Doom 2 did. New maps, new monsters, new weapon, but barely any "progress" with regards to the engine.

Me thinks there would be a new big melee monster; a actual bull demon, with a shield on front and probably back, would be used in wide areas to counter player's sidestrafing and cancel player's retreats, and a stationary turret like creature (big eye and a super chaingun) ; its attack being a mix between a revenant homing ability and a chaingunner's rapid fire rate, only rooted to the ground and it couldn't move. Most likely be guarding a gate that just got opened, or be near a keycard (pre-ambush squad basically). It's task would be to break the player's pace, and when used properly, dispose a entire hallway of monsters by infightning.

Also, the player could use a Revolver, slow, but precise and powerful. A super shotgun basically, but not dependant on shells to use. And without the spread as well.

That, or a first melee firearm combo, a plasma sword! Super effective at close to no range, but can fire a bfg like projectile without the tracers when the desired target is further from the reach and when the player has enough ammo.

Maps and setting? First "episode" would be Earth clean-up. Basically, urban maps, and the player has to "sweep the streets". Then in the second "episode", the player gets sent to recapture a UAC's superweapon on some big battleship in space, either above Earth or Mars/Venus. Third "episode" loses it's marbles, as the player accidentally activated the weapon defeating the boss of the previous "episode", as the weapon was integrated into the boss as a failswitch (as if the boss dies, the weapon activates and kills whatever is under the ship). The player then gets sent into the past, to stop the opening of the first Gate, effective throwback at Doom 1. But the demons figured that Doomguy time travelled by reading the numbers coming from their USB cable splitters and called the invasion in early. So they sent in the brutes. Tough level episode, consisting only of the elites or the swarming imps, and the player has to shoot down The Big Cable Router aka the Octognita which keeps the invasion flowing in till that point in time arrives where the Demons initially planned their invasion. Octognita in itself is just a loop of cables floating mid air, but its guarded by walls and tough mooks, and the player has to lower down the walls to get a chance to shoot at the Octognita for a second or two. Once the Octognita is defeated, all monsters dissappear from reality, every human revives and pops into existence, and no one has a clue what is that a man covered in blood doing in their main server room. Aaaand it would be up to the guys from the Ideas from the Dip to figure out whenever Doomguy managed to cancel Deimos's kidnapping or if there would be Doom 6.

Thanks for tolerating my shit.

Edited by Battle_Kirby

Doom 3 was developed like Doom 2 was, it's called Doom 64. :)

3 people like this

Except only Doom 64 is not an official title. ;)

Doom 64 is Doom 3 more than Doom 3 could ever be. It's an actual sequel to Doom 2.

Who doesn't love the backstory and ending of Doom 64? It's the icing on the cake.

1 person likes this

>tfw when a creativity-inducing thread turns into a doom64 glory post

2 people like this

18 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

tfw when a creativity-inducing thread turns into a doom64 glory post

Don't complain, you practically asked for it:

3 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

I am talking Doom 3 being developed as same as Doom 2 did. New maps, new monsters, new weapon, but barely any "progress" with regards to the engine

Doom64 has:

-New maps

-New weapon(s)

-barely any progress in regards to its engine (At least not from the player's perspective)

22 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

practically

ehhhhhh

aight changed the post name and whatev.

Now I will patiently wait for someone to mention the GBA port.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

-barely any progress in regards to its engine (At least not from the player's perspective)

I would not call scripting and sector colors barely any progress.

Yeah, sure, it's not like it's a jump to a full 3D engine like Quake, but it's like comparing vanilla to a ZDoom without a third of its features.

3 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

I would not call scripting and sector colors barely any progress.

I guess it depends on how you look at things. Sure, doom64 added more features which are interesting for mappers or maybe even modders. But when you look at the impact on gameplay itself, it just doesn't seem like much, at least not in my opinion. For me personally, the difference between teleporting monsters in via ACS, or the "oldschool" kind of way isn't that big when I play the game, to give a random example for the sake of it. Granted, it's been a while since I last played the original doom64, but thinking back, it didn't feel that different to me.

I loved Doom 4 a lot! This new engine is pretty dope, and I would enjoy playing some city-like maps in the same engine instead of the entire game being based on hellish concept and areas. The potential is huge for a new game to be created with the same set of blocks, with the addition of some new stuff of course, and a better story-line this time.

4 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

>tfw when a creativity-inducing thread turns into a doom64 glory post

You asked for it, don't ya. So yeah D64 is a D3 that done just like D2 was.

Hey if Doom 5 is just more of Doom 2016 with new stuff, I can dig it. 

10 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

Hey if Doom 5 is just more of Doom 2016 with new stuff, I can dig it. 

Better include the Archvile (the PE appears in Doom 2016?, if not, include it) and the Unmaker (or maybe picking up as an easter egg, same for including bits of other maps, like Doom 64 or Doom II) in Doom 5, along with the story of killing Hayden... >:)

Edited by leodoom85

Episode 1: Doomguy freefalls into Razor Zone, a dense and perilous jungle where he fights through tech bases and old ruins.

Episode 2: subterranean/Hollow Earth -theme.

Episode 3: a warped Earth city where metal and cybernetics have infected the surroundings and living things like a plaque.

Dear diary.

Today I learned numbers after titles make a bigass diffrence.

You mean a game released as a stand alone when it could be an expansion or a DLC? Am sure it'd cause an outrage unless the campaign is extremely well done.

And we need Arachnotrons back as well in DooM 5! Or maybe Trites?

7 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

ehhhhhh

aight changed the post name and whatev.

Now I will patiently wait for someone to mention the GBA port.

If we are talking about Doom 1 on GBA, then I have finished it. It had cut-down levels or entirely missing ones, the enemies were hard to recognise from a distance at times and the lighting sucked if you play on a frontlit GBA. It is a version that wasn't an 100% representation of the original, but it kicked ass playing Doom on a tiny screen. Plus it had control presets (like 5 of them), which got me surprised to be honest.

Probably, GBA Doom 2 was better on the technological aspect. 

Other than that, I find Doom 64 to be a mix of two different realities, done in the best way possible. It merges Doom 2's gameplay with Doom 3's creepy atmosphere (Doom 64 is the middle solution here).

====

After the Doomslayer was teleported away to an undisclosed location, Dr. Hayden regretfully took the Crucible to Mars' secondary facilities on Phobos. The scientists there were unaware of the invasion that occurred on Mars, but Dr. Hayden doesn't mention it to them. Work begins anew here in Phobos as the UAC try to extract more Argent energy in order to save humanity. 

The Doomslayer was sent to an uninhabited part of Deimos. Somewhere in the Deimos Anomaly. In the horizon, he could see a man made structure. An UAC facility. A dead one. Having no choice, Doomslayer began his journey, planning on finding a teleporter and taking back the Crucible.

The Deimos base is, unfortunately, abandoned. It too was affected by the invasion. The Mars facility stayed in contact with Deimos in order to keep the work on Argent energy safe. The demons grew in numbers as the Doomslayer decimated them on Mars.

They scour on the surface of Deimos, searching for prey. Upon Doomslayer's sight, the fight begins once more.

====

Doom 5 confirmed.

I love Doom 64, I think I'm going to go load up Doom 64 EX right now.

Ex seems to have problems on my newer PC.

In today's Standards i doubt it, unless is COD.

I would like a "Hell on Earth" Standalone DLC like they did it with "The Old Blood" for Wolfenstein more then a full new Game.

5 hours ago, DAZZER said:

I would like a "Hell on Earth" Standalone DLC like they did it with "The Old Blood" for Wolfenstein more then a full new Game.

This is more plausible than re-releasing it as Doom 5. Although I'd rather an expansion with more modding tools, Y'know one of the integral things that kept the old game live. (and they even outlived Doom3 haha)