Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

March 1994 PC Gamer UK article about id Software

2 minutes ago, Linguica said:

He mentions E3M6 as an unusual level for being set outside, and specifically says that the id team took it as inspiration for Doom 2.

Nnnnice. Sandy Petersen vindicated once again. Good stuff!

the e3m6 thing is pretty interesting since Sandy said something similar to that effect during his AmA a while back (he'd make something neat, then the other designers would take note). I'm honestly curious what his other design duties actually involved, he did mention in the ancient "Ask Sandyman" threads at a popular AoE2 fan forum that he was involved to some degree in laying out monster and weapon stats, but I wonder how much of that was Sandy and how much of that was Romero. (I know he did name all the monsters though, and while the doom 1 monster names weren't too creative, they're at least nicer than "Demon Troop", "Demon Sargeant", etc)

Also I guess that pic of Romero reveals further details about the control scheme used for Doom. Its been established for certain that Doom was designed and tested with a mouse (Romero is clearly mousing in the visit to doom in 1993 vid), though I'm still curious if those arrow keys are mapped directly to strafing or if they still have to hold strafe.

It should be fairly straightforward to analyze the demos included with the game to determine if he was using dedicated strafe keys - if there are any tics with simultaneous turn and strafe commands then you know he was using dedicated strafe keys. That's said, here's DEMO1 from v1.1:

I can't say for certain, but it looks like he's using a strafe modifier and not dedicated keys.

2 hours ago, Linguica said:

and Sandy Petersen is the "designer" of Doom

More impressively, he was apparently also the designer of Wolf3D before even joining the company.

I also like how Jay Wilbur calls Doom 2 "the retail version" and refers to it as "Doom: Hell on Earth." I think it's telling that the head business guy wasn't even considering it as a "sequel" per se, but sort of just a new edition for a new marketplace. He even says as much - that id Software's business model (up to that point) had been to make a new game using the shareware model, and then just churn out a new edition for retail, before moving on to the next thing. Obviously that died with Quake, but at that moment it seemed like it was still their mentality.

Thanks for sharing this, I particularly like seeing the little camera/lighting setup they had for the digitized monster models! Also interesting that Sandy was time traveling of course, but that's just a footnote, much like John Carmack's work on the game. He was just the local "good egg" after all!