Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

More than 1 sky on same map?

I am making a map that has both base and hell sections. Is there a way to have different sky boxes in each area?

EDIT: By the way I am using Zdoom UDMF format.

Edited by hardcore_gamer

Works only in MBF-compatible ports! (most Boom-compatible ports are MBF-compatible too)

Draw a linedef, assign action 271 to it, tag it to some sectors that you want to give a different sky to.

Repeat for each sector that already has a tag.

Put the sky texture you want on the 271 linedef's upper texture.

Yay!

Example:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/mdkskies or https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/plmsky1

In boom format you can use sky transfer and for udmf you can define it in mapinfo lump. 

Not quite! For multiple skyboxes you want to use skybox picker actors, and in fact does not need to be defined in mapinfo at all. Mapinfo mostly comes into play when defining sky1 and sky2, which isn't a UDMF exclusive feature.

There is also Static_Init for Doom-in-Hexen and maybe UDMF. I have used this and and sky picker to make a map with several skies. I am not sure if this is in UDMF because I haven't tried UDMF yet, but I plan to soon.

The other way is to make a script using the ChangeSky action between the tech area and the hell area. You have to be careful in this because you can mess up the visual aesthetic, so use this in a sector where the sky is not visible. Use this one in each linedef and repeatable, like this:

script 1 (void) <---one linedef

{

ChangeSky("RSKY1","RSKY3");

}

script 2 (void) <---another linedef

{

ChangeSky("RSKY3","RSKY1");

}

As you know, RSKY1 is the sky from maps 01 to 11 and RSKY3 is for maps 21 to 30...

5 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

The other way is to make a script using the ChangeSky action between the tech area and the hell area. You have to be careful in this because you can mess up the visual aesthetic, so use this in a sector where the sky is not visible. Use this one in each linedef and repeatable, like this:

script 1 (void) <---one linedef

{

ChangeSky("RSKY1","RSKY3");

}

script 2 (void) <---another linedef

{

ChangeSky("RSKY3","RSKY1");

}

As you know, RSKY1 is the sky from maps 01 to 11 and RSKY3 is for maps 21 to 30...

That wouldn't work very well in coop.

3 minutes ago, Empyre said:

That wouldn't work very well in coop.

Yeah, that's the only downside of this script. ChangeSky works better in SP. Actually, some actions works only for SP purposes.

Im pretty sure UDMF Allows 2 Sky's in 1 level

There should be an option in the Sector properties, Effects, That says SKY2 Though i think it uses MAPINFO

Tag is 200

Do you mean general skies, or specifically GZDoom sky boxes? 

There are all the above ways of changing the sky, but I'm not sure about the skybox function.

Yeah, MAPINFO is required for defining the second sky. For example:

sky1 BSKY1 <---example of normal sky

sky2 HSKY1 <---example of hell sky

1 minute ago, Bauul said:

Do you mean general skies, or specifically GZDoom sky boxes? 

There are all the above ways of changing the sky, but I'm not sure about the skybox function.

I don't know if skyboxes are affected by this...the only choice is to try if it works

This is a test i did to comprobate my comment and this is how to do it in MAPINFO basically

Map MAP01 "Test"
{
SKY1 = "SKY1"
SKY2 = "SKY3"
}

Just now, Maisth said:

This is a test i did to comprobate my comment and this is how to do it in MAPINFO basically

Map MAP01 "Test"
{
SKY1 = "SKY1"
SKY2 = "SKY3"
}

This is, assuming that the files for the sky are exactly like the name that you put in MAPINFO but, yes, that's how it is.

1 minute ago, leodoom85 said:

This is, assuming that the files for the sky are exactly like the name that you put in MAPINFO but, yes, that's how it is.

If you are Using Doom 2 as IWAD then yes those are the names 

Sky1 being Normal sky

Sky2 Being City sky

And Sky 3 being Hell Sky

Sky 1=RSKY1

Sky 2=RSKY2

Sky 3=RSKY3

There you go, that's how it appears if you look in an editor like Slade.

No no no! RSKY1 and friends are the patch names, and only for the Doom II skies. The texture names are SKY1 and so on, and that will work in all IWADs (except Hexen).

On topic, see Sky for info about everything you have to know about skies in ZDoom.

I found a way to resolve this. I used the sky2(mapinfo) sector special and also the skypicker/skyviewpoint things. Worked well enough.