Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xaekin

This Mess, a short 4 map wad

So, I made some maps. They're kinda ugly, play a little rough, and don't include any music. But, at this point, I'm as done as I will be with these.
These were supposed to be speedmaps originally, that... didn't happen.

EDIT: These maps are -complevel 9, forgot to mention that.

Spoiler

Kc1Sbq8.jpgM2ypcWn.jpgvzRdmzr.jpgJVbwkz0.jpg

I figure at this point, I'll just see what people think. Enjoy.
DOWNLOAD

Edit: Updated a few things. Changelog in the spoiler. - Updated again 5/10.

Spoiler

- Can no longer cheese the arachnotron in map01. That was just a bit of an oversight.

- Map03's teleport maze heavily revised, with a blatantly more obvious tell for which teleport is correct. In addition, the Blue Skull is far more obvious.

- Map03's last battle nerfed, since that seemed to be way too much for some.

- Geometry slightly revised in map04, for visual effect.

- Added one monster to map04 in the hopes that the trap HAS to be set off this time.

SECOND UPDATE
- Made a backup solution if someone somehow makes that skip joe did in Map02. I couldn't replicate it without godmode and a rocketjump, but I was able to test it in any case.
- Adjusted the hint to a secret in map03, since there was a fair chance that the blinking light wouldn't be spotted. It's now just off.
- Made the outside of the teleport maze impassible. Again, joe, I question how that worked. But it shouldn't work now.
- Fixed the rather obvious secret in map04, since I'd accidentally made it inaccessible.

Edited by xaekin

impressive (first?) maps. an awareness of complevels is always appreciated.

overall: I like the use of stark lighting and jagged shapes. I also like the generally swooping and interconnected layouts, bonus points for having "do you want to leave the map or keep playing" degrees of flexibility.

m02: neat idea, with the whole loop-de-loop circuit thingy. cute.

m03: fuck that teleport sequence.

m04: probably the most conventionally enjoyable map. didn't do too much for me, personally.

here's some fdas if you're into that: xkTM_fda_rbk.zip

On 5/6/2017 at 4:44 PM, Ribbiks said:

impressive (first?) maps. an awareness of complevels is always appreciated.

overall: I like the use of stark lighting and jagged shapes. I also like the generally swooping and interconnected layouts, bonus points for having "do you want to leave the map or keep playing" degrees of flexibility.

m02: neat idea, with the whole loop-de-loop circuit thingy. cute.

m03: fuck that teleport sequence.

m04: probably the most conventionally enjoyable map. didn't do too much for me, personally.

here's some fdas if you're into that: xkTM_fda_rbk.zip

demos are useful, Other people don't play the way I do, and I'll see what's giving people trouble. They're not precisely my first maps, just the first maps I've felt were worth releasing.

I definitely need to adjust that teleport maze so it's A) a lot more obvious which teleport is correct, and B) that you had already gotten what you were supposed to. The reward for that section is supposed to be the blue skullkey, and you had it for like the last three minutes.

and I might need to adjust one of the sections to map04, since you managed to surgically cut out one of the fights, instead of triggering the trap.

Dunno if editing this post will bump the thread, but since it's the last post here I'll mention it: joe-ilya found some ways to break the maps, and so I've updated the wad again. Download's still in the first post.

Edited by xaekin