Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

What kind of system was needed to run doom95 at the same performance as vanilla?

Could have sworn that I asked this before, but searching only brings up my question about performance hit playing vanilla in windows.  If it helps, some parts of iwad maps run as slowly under doom95 on a pentium 133 as they do on a 486-100 - though without a way to measure dos fps, this is only an estimate.

You can use -devparm switch both in vanilla and Doom95. In vanilla you'll get a column in the left down corner indicating thw "cpu usage"(?) or such. In Doom95 you'll get the fps count directly. Just create a shortcut of Doom95.exe and add -devparm after the "c:\..nnn..\doom95\doom95.exe" path.

Spoiler

MsqDw4A.jpg

Overall W95 itself runs smoother when just having 32 mb of memory instead of 16 mb. And Windows 95 runs much faster than W98se in the same machine. Try not running any unnecessary programs during the game play. Doom95 still has run great atleast with Vista/32-bit fullscreen with dmousexp.zip.

12 hours ago, dl_simc said:

You can use -devparm switch both in vanilla and Doom95. In vanilla you'll get a column in the left down corner indicating thw "cpu usage"(?) or such. In Doom95 you'll get the fps count directly. Just create a shortcut of Doom95.exe and add -devparm after the "c:\..nnn..\doom95\doom95.exe" path.

Hide contents

MsqDw4A.jpg

Overall W95 itself runs smoother when just having 32 mb of memory instead of 16 mb. And Windows 95 runs much faster than W98se in the same machine. Try not running any unnecessary programs during the game play. Doom95 still has run great atleast with Vista/32-bit fullscreen with dmousexp.zip.

Any reason Fraps would be less accurate in the frame count?  That's what I've been using.