Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

Super Mayhem 17! Now on Doomworld file listing\idgames

Forgot to add: yes the animations aren't working yet either but that'll be done with the decorations.

how does one participate in this special project i am naive and foolish and as such know very little about this project or the ones in the past aw jeez

23 minutes ago, Marcaek said:

Each map must have no more than 256 things

monsters, weapons/ammo/health, decoration, player starts, teleport destinations?? can you be more specific

2 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

monsters, weapons/ammo/health, decoration, player starts, teleport destinations?? can you be more specific

All things except for player starts. If this is a bit too limiting I can reconsider it but originally it was 256 monsters and that was a bit of a pointless restriction considering most average maps have that much anyway.

Sign me up. Glad there's that extra week - this upcoming week is already going to be pretty busy, but I plan on working on a layout (as well as other things) after this upcoming week.

Nice of Marcaek to invite us over for a Mayhem project, eh Doomworld?

Edit: Are you sure you mean 3840x3840 and not 4352x4352? The latter is 17 blocks of 256 map units, where-as the former is 15 blocks. Or are you specifically choosing 3840 because of a smaller map size?

Edited by an_mutt

Talking about the 3840x3840 map boundaries... is the playable area boundary (like in mayhem 2048) or is all the map boundary?

Playable area Walter. Measurements are entirely arbitrary to keep mapsize down.

On 5/7/2017 at 5:15 AM, Marcaek said:

All things except for player starts. If this is a bit too limiting I can reconsider it but originally it was 256 monsters and that was a bit of a pointless restriction considering most average maps have that much anyway.

Truth be told I don't think that the current restriction is really needed, as I'm having a hard time imagining a map that'd be too sloggy within those boundaries and with monster count of 256. In case you disagree - 128 monsters still seems reasonable.

Marina Moonlight

Midi: mint_rock_glow.mid from jmickle66666666s midi pack two

Notes: Complete Difficulty levels, multiplayer monsters and automap clean. 256 things combining everything from all difficulty levels.

Media:

aQSqvVA.jpg

Edited by Pinchy : Version 2 resources done

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xybftagmxlcrhbv/mayhem17res_a2hf2.wad?dl=1

New resource, animations are in. Sprite decorations not yet. Still needs some key markers and more intuitive switches.

The palette is probably going to stay as is or close to the current state but I intended to use HIRES for the final version so that advanced ports can use truecolor textures. It's not 100% ideal but I can't guarantee timely palette editing and to be frank I don't want to lose my mind over it, would rather focus on other areas.

After a bit of consideration, I've decided that the size limitation is a bit excessive. I'm extending it to 5120x3840 and keeping the thing limit intact.

If anyone has opinions about this please share, if your maps fall within the old limit please keep working within that as having small maps are encouraged(you don't need to use the full alloted space to make a good map!)

Edited by Marcaek

Here, have a shitty speedmap:

5RG6Mpi.png

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gtcd1b7c8is836e/painfullyelitelyrustled.wad

Title: Painfully and Elitely Rustled

MIDI: Dungeon from Final Fantasy Legend III

Notes: Uses old limits 3840x3840, very marginal difficulty settings implemented and only 167 things. Made to be a hard and annoying setpiece hub that I did in literally a day. Only SG/RL/PG combat too. Do what you want with it.

BTW is there a gray version of these wall textures? preferably the ones I used for the steps and ceiling. The green really clashes with the rest of the map and I was looking for some gray textures here.

On 5/14/2017 at 9:20 PM, Marcaek said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/de0i1sqv4elu77s/mayhem17res_a4hf1.wad?dl=1

Some new stuff: 3MIDCLD is a cloudy midtexture, SKYZAP is an animated thunderstorm sky, a few doors, and a bunch of fences and such.

HP\Armor bonuses have tenatively been replaced with color-coded coins. The Pool of brains is now a Donut Lift sprite, which may or may not work out we'll see what happens.

Be careful using textures that aren't a power of 2. I figured out why my map was crashing and it was using 3MIDCLD which was 512x232. (actually upon further testing, the reason prboom was crashing was because it was a PNG)

I'm gonna go ahead and throw this here. It adds some new sprite replacements.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzjjybsk34vl16e/mayhemspritesadd.wad?dl=0

Also throwing a sheet up for textures, sprites, etc.
MKOwTVI.png

Also, reuploaded my map as mostly done. No ideas for music or a name yet.

Edited by rf` : I've been busy.

Count me in! Mapping with this texture pack will help influence simplistic geometry and promote good gameplay / layouts as a focus. :) You said we can make recolours - if we do indeed do this, should we adhere to a specific naming convention? If I was to make use of custom textures I'd prefer to have them named correctly to save having to replace them at a later date. :)

EDIT: Not only do I feel a few recolours would be helpful, I feel rescaling some textures would help greatly, so we can have smaller-scale (or larger scale) versions of various textures. 1XSTONE1 I wish had a 16x16 block version, for example.

EDIT 2: Quick progress! :)

d00bc18c6a318916500c1b649da6e2fb.jpg

EDIT 3: What about player starts, do they count in the limitation?

Edited by Dragonfly

All edits are welcome, I'd prefer them to be prefixed with 2 or 3 characters to separate them (like DF_XXXXX) or to use the existing prefixes in the OP.

Player starts are exempt from the limit. New resource update coming soon. Now!

Edited by Marcaek