Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

Super Mayhem 17! Now on Doomworld file listing\idgames

Noticed a few issues in map01:

- One cacodemon (thing 196) never wakes up and therefore never teleports out of his closet.
- Red key switch (line 1165) is repeatable even though there's no reason for it to be and the blue key switch (which does the same action, just for blue door) is one-time only.
- I think one trap might not work as intended:

The last trap with the revenants and 2 archviles can be completely bypassed if you never press the red key switch.

I debated whether or not to post this, but what the hell.

It's been a long time since I played any console games. When I started playing this, I was trying to figure out the powerups. I assumed the blue mushroom was the Soul Sphere, but I didn't know what the others were. Then I ran into them when I didn't want to, so I made something to help me identify them: Mushroom Spheres. on the appropriate background colors.

rk173CP.gif

I also went and found the burning oil can from Donkey Kong to replace the burning barrel; adjusted size and color, added a third frame. Because it amused me to do so.

8J2V0SD.gif

Here's the file.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/w3h471l152gaxx6/Mayhem17MushroomSpheres.zip

As I said, I made these for myself. If anyone else was confused, here ya go. Use them, don't use them.

@Marcaek

I looked in the resource wad. MUSINFO didn't change. Did maps 3 and 20 stay where they were when the others were re-ordered?

I downloaded the new wad pack and i'll test it for prboom-plus on my laptop when I have time, i've already tested my maps during the making of them and they work properly on prboom-plus, my advice is if someone test them on zdaemon since the last map I made with voodoo dolls usage (map39 of 2048 unleashed) gave some problems on server play...

Sorry I couldn't record video, will do that for rest of maps: playing on HMP with GZdoom with proper compat settings and mouselook

MAP01: nice easy opener, proper difficulty. had trouble distinguishing green door leading to blue key at first but that's probably minor enough to go without a fix. revenants at end can be cheesed with the RL. other than that I liked it, fun setpieces, nice use of resources, gameplay that wasn't boring

I'll play some more later today once I'm off work. 

Tested on solo play with zdaemon and my assumption where correct, the voodoo dolls disappears making crash lots of levels that use them, also MAP05  and MAP16 have a SSECTORS nodes bug that didn't make them play, also there ìs no new music for some weird reason.

There's a way to fix this problem with voodoo dolls?

Didn't check the voodoo dolls but I assume the solution to your problem is here (TL;DR: "Make your lines with carrying specials at least 22 map units long to avoid any issues.")

MAP05 and MAP16 crash because they use extended nodes - ZDaemon doesn't support them. Just rebuild the maps without using extended nodes and they will work.

Custom music works for me in ZDaemon but what I assume might potentially be a problem for you is that there's MUSINFO inside mayhem17res_c1.wad but there's music definition only for MAP03 and MAP20.

In addition, I've played through about half of maps in PrBoom+ -complevel 9 and found a few more issues. I will make a write-up and post it later.

Hoping to have a release candidate out this Friday. Still looking for artists to do M_DOOM\Title\Interpics!

@Marcaek What about this? this is an example of mine for a title...can be pretty basic but I tried XD

Screenshot_Doom_20170914_120748.png.3fa679b5e7356112b5d8c08b35854311.png

btw, I'm trying to add more detail on that area, see if it works :D 

Edited by leodoom85 : SMB ftw

You mind linking the map? I can use it for an ending map in ports that won't support ending on maps other than 30.

7 hours ago, Marcaek said:

You mind linking the map? I can use it for an ending map in ports that won't support ending on maps other than 30.

Good morning, I'll share the map later.

Alright, here's the write-up I promised.

These issues were noticed while playing with PrBoom+ -complevel 9. (MAP02-MAP10 and MAP19 played in their entirety, only took a brief look at MAP11 and MAP12.)

MAP02:
- Didn't notice any bugs but this map has many monsters on platforms and the possibly undesirable behavior in -complevel 9 can be very noticable (monsters getting easily stuck on the edge of the platform if pushed by shooting them and then falling off the platform if pushed farther).

If you want to avoid this, flag the edges as monster-blocking (but this will of course restrict the movement of flying monsters).

MAP03:
- There are several monsters flagged as deaf in this area that are turned away from the way you can enter the area. They however fail to wake up if you shoot before entering the area and then enter it. Seems to be caused by some surrounding linedefs that are flagged to block sound.
- It's possible to fall down and get stuck between sectors 100 and 331. (automap pic)
- No way to bypass sector 120 once it's raised so this can result in map being stuck in multiplayer if all players inside the room die before lowering the wall again.

MAP04:
- It's possible to get stuck in sector 155 if you jump behind the pillars from the secret.

- Also possible to get stuck in the area behind megasphere where you are not supposed to go but can get there by either bypassing thing 336 or getting blasted by archvile through line 1567. Make the line impassable to avoid the possibility.

- Not even sure what happened here but this revenant got stuck and it wasn't possible to kill him. It seems the revenant (thing 244) somehow managed to bypass the WR teleports that surrond him and then used a teleporting line that was only supposed to be used by a lost soul (thing 51).

- Misaligned texture on line 1939.

MAP05:
- The monsters in the closets outside of the map don't wake up so they never teleport in.
- Similar note as in MAP02 about monsters falling off platforms. Especially relevant here might be the archvile near start (thing 111).

MAP07:
- Line 2373 isn't lower unpegged (the other side of the door is).
- 3 places near exit where you can fall off and get stuck.

MAP09:
- It's quite easy to run out of bullets and shells if you're saving rockets and in that case you can find yourself stuck because you're not able to shoot the switches (only advanced ports like ZDoom allow you to shoot switches with projectiles).
- No way to bypass sector 48 once it's raised so this can result in map being stuck in multiplayer if all players inside the room die.

MAP12:
- No idea what causes this but if you enter certain places the music stops. It seems to be next to the teleporting lines that are supposed to kill you if you fall off (happens e.g. near lines 2336-7 but *before* you cross them). The music doesn't stop in GZDoom so I assume this is not intended. (On an unrelated note instead of the telefraging the voodoo doll in GZDoom 3.1.0 I teleport on top of it. I don't remember messing with telefrag/voodoo doll settings so no idea what causes this either.)

MAP19:
- No way to enter the exit room once it's raised so this can result in map being stuck in multiplayer if all players inside the room die.
- Artifacts in this flat because of the new palette (the flat is used in 4 places in this map).

2017-09-15  16:22:43  <Keyboard_Doomer>	since you asked I looked at your map again :P archvile could theoretically blast you into several places where you're not supposed to be if you let it run around
2017-09-15  16:22:51  <Keyboard_Doomer>	in one of them you could get stuck
2017-09-15  16:24:01  <Keyboard_Doomer>	quite unlikely to happen unless you do it intentionally but you might want to fix it anyway
2017-09-15  16:24:53  <Keyboard_Doomer>	the place behind the pyramid is where you can get stuck

gefixt

Please withhold any edits until after I post a new version!

Speaking of which, that might be delayed another day ot two. In the meantime have a preview of some new GFX Fuzzball made!

doom157.png

doom158.png

Edited by Marcaek

=== OP UPDATED: IF YOU NEED TO MAKE ANY CHANGES TO YOUR MAPS EXTRACT IT FROM THE COMPILATION AND WORK ON THAT COPY ===

With the exception of Rottking and Pinchy, any changes made on this page will need to be re-made to your maps in the current compilation: Automaps have been cleaned up and a MP\Skill setting pass was done in the meantime.

All contributors please check the above posts for relevant issues in your maps!

2 hours ago, Marcaek said:

=== OP UPDATED: IF YOU NEED TO MAKE ANY CHANGES TO YOUR MAPS EXTRACT IT FROM THE COMPILATION AND WORK ON THAT COPY ===

You done broke my map :P

- Pillars don't rise in the underground

- A few monster closets don't get sound

I'm the dolt responsible for most breaks, probably: every map bar 05, 16, 21 and 31 has had some combination of skills, multiplayer things and automap clean-up done to it, and in a few select cases some of the outlying closets and control sectors have been pushed in to shrink the maximum automap distance. Most of what breaks is probably due to doom builder's merging and sector splitting behavior in response to some of this moving around, or tagging oversights with the addition of the new control sectors for multiplayer events. It should be pretty easy to identify where things fall apart.

58 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

I'm the dolt responsible for most breaks, probably: every map bar 05, 16, 21 and 31 has had some combination of skills, multiplayer things and automap clean-up done to it, and in a few select cases some of the outlying closets and control sectors have been pushed in to shrink the maximum automap distance. Most of what breaks is probably due to doom builder's merging and sector splitting behavior in response to some of this moving around, or tagging oversights with the addition of the new control sectors for multiplayer events. It should be pretty easy to identify where things fall apart.

Drag the vertices along with the things next time, not the linedefs. Doom Builder doesn't split things willy-nilly if you move the vertices. :P

EDIT: I am incorrect

Edited by Jimmy