Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Da Werecat

Preserving offsets when batch replacing graphics

Question

Say I have a wad with lots of sprites. All the offsets were fine-tuned already. Say I make some small changes to the entire set - like brightness adjustment. The process of cutting a sprite sheet into individual files is unpleasant enough, but it has nothing to do with Doom utilities. What happens next is I have to import them all into the wad. So far, it seems my options in SLADE are limited to:

1. Batch import everything. Redo all the offsets from scratch.

2. Highlight the lumps that need to be replaced. Import the replacements one by one. This will preserve the original offsets.

The problem with the latter: I'll have to choose. Every. Single. Replacement. File. Manually. There's no default value (like a file with the name identical to the lump being replaced), so I can't just click through. Even if there was, what if I want to replace 100 lumps? 500? Would I have to click 500 times?

If there are, indeed, no better options than what I listed, please consider it a feature request.

2 answers to this question

When you (batch-)export graphics as PNGs from SLADE3, their offsets are saved into the PNGs, and when you (batch-)import them back, the offsets are properly restored. The problem is that the graphic editor or utility that you are using to edit the exported graphics might automatically set those offsets to zero. Perhaps you can change that behavior from the respective editor's or utility's options.

Not a solution to the general problem, but in your case, if the small change to the entire set was just lighting based, you could have done it within SLADE3 by one of its own graphic editing features that doesn't change offsets rather than using another editor or utility that does change offsets.

8 hours ago, scifista42 said:

Not a solution to the general problem, but in your case, if the small change to the entire set was just lighting based, you could have done it within SLADE3 by one of its own graphic editing features that doesn't change offsets rather than using another editor or utility that does change offsets.

Well, in most cases I have a complex PSD file to maintain, so applying changes (even as simple as tweaking brightness) to the final image directly is less than okay.

8 hours ago, scifista42 said:

When you (batch-)export graphics as PNGs from SLADE3, their offsets are saved into the PNGs, and when you (batch-)import them back, the offsets are properly restored.

Good idea. I can just open these PNG files and paste the updated images into them. It's not harder than what I have to do already.

Except I just checked and Photoshop is being a butt by clearing the tags upon saving. I'll probably have to find another program just for that.