Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

SlaughterMAX. Now on /idgames!

2 hours ago, Benjogami said:

You should be able to record a demo that is longer than 40 minutes.

I played through the map with saves, and I think one thing that would improve it greatly is removing the slow lowering walls, and let the player trigger the next fight when they like, at their own risk. As it is currently, there isn't any room to improve a time, because the best time is the one that presses all the switches as soon as they open, and some of them open after everything was already dead (I had to wait about 7 minutes at the end of the map to exit, for example).

It was fun to figure out how to survive each new encounter (not so fun to circle around and kill stuff for a long time afterwards, but that's just my preference). I think being able to mix the fights together would help a lot.

I already did a demo of it and I didn't want to make changes to it that desync it.

12 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I already did a UV Max of the level. It is on YouTube.

It will still need a complevel 9 demo to qualify.

11 hours ago, A7MAD said:

Necroveins UV-max in 5:22

finally 

nc.7z

Nice :D

On 6/10/2017 at 7:57 PM, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I wonder if anyone has seen this video yet.

I don't think this is the correct place for this.

Edited by Ancalagon

On 02/10/2017 at 9:13 PM, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I have a level that I designed that might be suited for this community project. It is called "Assassin's Greed."

How is circle strafing and shooting rockets at 4200 Imps an enjoyable map? (Not to mention everything that follows)

1 hour ago, Yousuf Anik said:

I want to make a small map for this project. Is there any mapslot open??

Yep, lots of room left. Slots don't need to be reserved.

On 29/7/2017 at 11:47 AM, Bdubzzz said:

Hmm So I made this map like 2 weeks ago at this point but I've been to lazy to Max it..figured I should post it in case someone else wants to lol but if not ill get around to it before the end of the year :p

Oh.. the Map name is Swiss Cheese Strike

Map Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hufyt9fv7kawkf0/SCStrike.wad?dl=0

Just some thoughts about the map.

The start room seems fine, I like that you can jump to the exit platform and skip all the ssg section ;), the next room seems fine.

Yellow key section, excellent.

Blue key section, some block lines around the cyb platforms would do good.

Red key, now this section is a little overkill if you go in without bfg from any of the other teleporters, bfg should be given right away as anyone with knowledge of the map will just take the blue key tele that already does this. This room also really needs some eyecandy stuff for when you are there circling for like 5 minutes, or to cut down some monsters to make the strafing shorter and achieve the same result anyway, or both.

The end section starts amazing, this setup is something I haven't seen, but when the viles die I was dissapointed to see it turn into a circle strafe but then the room turns fun again when the pains and cyb and fun stuff starts coming from the walls and teleporting monsters from the middle to the sides is a good way to keep it interesting even after everything already opened. So the only problem with the end room is the circle strafe section after killing the viles, I get that this is maybe just to spawn some meat to act as a wall for the monsters coming next but it could be done in some more interesting way, maybe keeping some sort of mechanic with the viles in the circles cause that was very interesting to fight.

Now some nitpicking.

In the first big room, the platform where the 2 mancs stand over the inescapable pit, the second stair is a damaging floor.

Also, inescapable pits usually not very well received.

Also in the same room, killing each rev individually feels like a chore.

The very little room with the red key was not easy to see.

I know this is not a zdoom map, but pressing the button that releases everything in the red key room froze the game while playing the map in zandronum, this is maybe cause each rev is in his own closet and the switch moves toooo many walls but all of this is unnecesary when you can do just one big closet with all the revs.

Red key room really needs some detail.

On 6/7/2017 at 4:16 PM, bemused said:

ok, threw this together over a couple of days.. my lore skills arent up to scratch so il just say doomguy needs to kill..... stuff... to get to the exit, where joy and happiness awaits him :)

Full ITYTD meme difficulty implemented, on HMP i just lazily removed 90% of the monsters and called it a day. Good thing i have til next year to provide a demo for this because im bad at doom after not playing for a while and I've become extremely rusty so itll be a bit of a task for me to get thru this saveless :P

My first concern about this map is the area where you get the plasma, the first fight with the pinkies/cacos/barons is fine but then after pressing the switch, the usual player will have 100hp or less and the mega in the room is at the center blocked by fatsos and soon to be blocked by revs until the end of the fight, the best strategy for this fight was to go behind the revs and take the mega in the hallways, maybe remove the 2 fatsos at the center so the player can actually take the mega and have a chance at the fight as just running behind the revs also feels cheesy.

The fight with the 4 masterminds is nice but you can simply press the switch and get outside the fighting area.

The ending is fun but too generous on ammo/hp, I cleared the fight without noticing there were 4 megas and plenty of ammo at the corners of the room until there were less than 100 monsters left (nice exploration on my part), blue armors would be just fine instead of megas and there is enough ammo without the cells at the corners.

And nice ITYTD meme difficulty

meme1.png

meme2.png

Also please benjo update the op when someone updates a map cause I just played an outdated version of it D:, gotta check if something I said stands now.

Edit: I forgot to mention in my previous post that the meme difficulty should give a chaingun as there are no chainers in the map. Viles in the cage at the plasma area can be pushed out, while this doesn't break anything it doesn't look right, the complains about the mega's posisition obviously don't stand as it was moved.

Edited by Ancalagon

On 6/7/2017 at 11:12 AM, Dododamian said:

It's quiet...too quiet, just like the Ghost Ship used to be. Now, it's infested with Hellspawn! But hey, all we have to do is get the 3 different skull keys from the 3 different rifts ; Cave, Flesh and Hell. Easy, Right?

Not Quite.

Significantly harder than Showdown, here it is. Ghost Ship

Map Download - http://www.mediafire.com/file/9on94vh9v5at5av/Ghost+Ship.zip

When people talk shit about slaughter maps in some recent threads they seem to describe maps like this, let's get on why this is not a good map.

It is not challenging, or entertaining, or fun, you get some weapons, shoot it on the meat in the map, you win, while slaughter maps don't need to be hard to be amazing (see rush.wad, so good and remains casual) here you can simply run in circles and you will never get hit.

Spawning 200 monsters on a single teleport destination takes forever and is not fun.

Good maps usually have a theme, or revolve around some area, or there is something that makes it feel like a cohesive piece, here you are in some watery area. then in a cave, then in another cave! @Bdubzzz's map suffers from the same but he got away with it cause the fights are fun and I forgot about it.

I am not anyone to talk about the looks of a map but right after playing bemused's map this one leaves a lot to be desired.

These walls don't block anyone.

meme3.png

Edited by Ancalagon

oh shit anc is on a roll haha.. im gonna have to do some hasty edits to that map of mine tomorrow when i wake up as its 7am and i need sleep. wrt the plasma area the mega shouldnt be in the center but in the cyb doorway.... im guessing i updated it and never posted the update in the thread... gg :(

Edit.. it appears i did post the edit and im too tired to properly read posts.. im going to bed :P

Edited by bemused

2 hours ago, Ancalagon said:

Also please benjo update the op when someone updates a map cause I just played an outdated version of it D:, gotta check if something I said stands now.

Fixed, though it looks like another version will arrive shortly. :P

Also updated the link to antares's wad.

@antares031, your Beta 2 demo isn't in sync with your Beta 2b wad, in case you didn't know.

10 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

your Beta 2 demo isn't in sync with your Beta 2b wad, in case you didn't know.

Hmm, strange. I am pretty sure that placing one blue keycard is the only difference between two versions.

On 8/5/2017 at 12:39 AM, antares031 said:

The Eclipse of Betelgeuse (Beta)

This is a beta version, which means it's not completely finished. But the full UV-Max playthrough is available at this version. A completed version will have difficulty settings and adjustments in gameplay, based on the feedback from this version. The zip file includes a saveless demo, recorded with GlBoom+ 2.5.1.4, which is about 35 minutes long.

There is nothing wrong with this map, it's perfect.

Edited by Ancalagon

10 hours ago, antares031 said:

Hmm, strange. I am pretty sure that placing one blue keycard is the only difference between two versions.

I tried it out, and looks like even just that change will desync a demo, if you added it to the Hard skill.

I've been working on some changes to Last Light HNTR, and even deleting things that are only in Easy can desync a Hard demo. My workaround is to remove all the skill flags instead of deleting them. :P

@antares031 @Benjogami Hopefully fixed. [Update: please see later update a few posts down at top of next page] Summary: removing two particular boxes of rockets fixes the demo playback.

As you know, Doom demos depend on (among other things) each consumer of random numbers getting the same result during playback as during recording. A function named P_Random encodes a sequence of pseudo-random numbers which are consumed by callers. The consumers must receive the same result during playback as they did when the demo was recorded. The sequence P_Random produces must be identical and the callers must consume the results in exactly the same order during playback as during recording.

During level initialisation every mobj (thing, actor) consumes at least one random number from the sequence when it is spawned, and usually a second, if the mobj is animated. In particular adding a blue key will consume two extra random numbers from the sequence that were not taken when the demo was recorded. So the idea is to find some way to remove two previous P_Random() calls without changing anything else, so that two fewer random numbers are consumed, and the blue key can have them.

The new blue key is thing #27581. The previous things, #27579, #27580, are boxes of rockets. Boxes of rockets do not animate, so only consume one random number on being spawned. Thus removing them leaves two extra "spare" random numbers next in the queue, which are consumed by spawning the new blue key. Thus after level initialisation the random number sequence is in the same place as it was when the demo was recorded.

It might have been that the loss of 10 rockets caused a weapon switch due to exhausted ammunition that did not occur when recording, but we were fortunate: the demo seems to play back correctly (at least tested in -nosound -nodraw -timedemo, the player exits the level with 0 monsters alive and 100% secrets).

Edited by RjY : Superseded by later post

finally pulled my finger out and sorted my edits out. couple of mancs removed from plasma rifle area lower fight, and added 2 switches to open up area behind revs. Last area is unchanged.. dont mind there being a surplus of health and ammo in there as its pretty depressing getting that far and dying so its a kinda relatively low pressure happy bfg spam reward.... style... thing :P

meme difficulty also fixed :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n31vq68ttvu2trx/literallyunplayablenew.wad?dl=0

On 5/7/2017 at 11:18 PM, 40oz said:

I have some short messy maps here I was going to use for another project.

Have a look at them and tell me what you think. I'll make necessary adjustments to make them fit with the project.

40oz_SM01.wad (img) (edit: Plays on MAP02)

40oz_SM02.wad (img) (edit: Plays on MAP03)

40oz_SM03.wad (img) (edit: Plays on MAP04)

First map:

Nice little map, the line that releases the cybers from the front is too short and easily skipable by walking close to the wall, some textures around the viles cage seem criminally unaligned and the viles cage itself looks taller from the inside than from the outside. One of the torches behind the spawn is cut by half by the ceiling and the wall texture is unaligned too.

Second map:

One of the sides of the exit door doesn't have the proper texture

Third map:

There is a serious ammo shortage in this map, the yellow key fight a bit bs cause the viles can attack you from the stairs and there is no way to dodge that, you can get in the shootable switch room when the crates go down and it seems you are not supposedd to be able to cause there are some missing textures in there. You can get locked in if you go into the yellow key room with no ammo at all.

45 minutes ago, bemused said:

finally pulled my finger out and sorted my edits out. couple of mancs removed from plasma rifle area lower fight, and added 2 switches to open up area behind revs. Last area is unchanged.. dont mind there being a surplus of health and ammo in there as its pretty depressing getting that far and dying so its a kinda relatively low pressure happy bfg spam reward.... style... thing :P

meme difficulty also fixed :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n31vq68ttvu2trx/literallyunplayablenew.wad?dl=0

Hopefully this means an Anc max. :)

On 28/6/2017 at 8:01 PM, Scotty said:

Ok, here's the updated and hopefully improved Sons of Liberty (basically just spent the last 4 hours working on it heh). I felt the original was way too front loaded and some of the later fights were too easy in comparison, so i have tried to address that. I think the map plays way better than the original. Monster count went up by around 200 :D  This map was very inspired by the Sunlust guys and is not intended as a Furnace tribute fyi... i just wanted to use the colour orange with the metal textures.

I would kindly ask that no one lock this in with a demo yet, i would prefer to get feedback and keep improving the map, cause i haven't attempted many maps with this style of gameplay yet. I want to try and make sure it has some replayability for people. @loveless @Killer5 i know i asked one of you guys about testing this potentially, i forget who sorry :D  Any gameplay comments or bugs reports are super appreciated.

DOWNLOAD (needs cc4falls for the lava fall texture)

If you didn't play the Megaproject version here's what you're in for...

Reveal hidden contents

CAHpxTi.png

wzwqPvT.png

Fun map, just some details. The yellow key fight can be cheesed by killing the viles before dropping with chaingun, the red key, unless I missed an invis or something, is much harder than anything in the map, it's a pretty interesting fight tho, too bad you can just run out of it and forget about everything. At the end fight it takes 20 seconds to kill the revs but the platform with the invul takes 1 minute to lower, leaving 40 seconds of simply running around doing nothing.

27 minutes ago, Ancalagon said:

Fun map, just some details. The yellow key fight can be cheesed by killing the viles before dropping with chaingun, the red key, unless I missed an invis or something, is much harder than anything in the map, it's a pretty interesting fight tho, too bad you can just run out of it and forget about everything. At the end fight it takes 20 seconds to kill the revs but the platform with the invul takes 1 minute to lower, leaving 40 seconds of simply running around doing nothing.

You thought the chaingunner spam fight was the hardest? Interesting, everyone else seemed to think it was the yellow key fight with the Mastermind, but anyway some others said red key fight that was kinda boring, and i could see why too, so i changed that one for something more thoughtful than simple monster spam. Same for the timing on the last fight, i think Benjo said that kinda sucked too. I'll fix those viles, thanks.

Might actually get the intended final version posted tonight sometime.