SlaughterMAX. Now on /idgames!

7 hours ago, DanielAlexander said:

TITLEPIC for SlaughterMAX:

SMaxfinal.png.34c11d5d18c8f9a54f22f8f32e6bca77.png

very good daniel 

7 hours ago, DanielAlexander said:

SMaxfinal.png.34c11d5d18c8f9a54f22f8f32e6bca77.png

The monster sprites are all cut off by the floor, unlike the player's.
Besides, for this kind of wad you may want to use higher tier monster corpses as decoration. :)

TITLEPIC.png.8daf18173664a7b850c2fc1f29373470.png

title.png.e45d05ed3b9cced80ff0cffcefbbbe19.png

I also tried to make the title picture and logo of SlaughterMAX, just in case. I wonder this one can be used for other purpose, such as intermission, ending, etc.

The source of picture is one of wallpapers of Doom 2016.

18 hours ago, DanielAlexander said:

Good effort and many thanks for trying but it has some problems:

• Incorrect size. Doom/Boom requires 320x200.
  • Incorrect aspect ratio. Your image assumes a 1:1 pixel aspect when Doom uses 5:6. Correcting for this (by enlarging the horizontal by 120%) then resizing/cropping the image to 320x200 leads to the player sprite being cut in half by the right edge.
  • Wrong palette. Truecolor image with 32k unique colours needs quantization to Doom's PLAYPAL. However, doing so has a poor effect on the lighting gradients.

hfcVjjV.png

The image itself could be seen as a subtle hint that the wad is playable with Brutal Doom. However using that mod with maps with nuts factor ~ 1 (2 in some cases) is a terribly bad idea, as the mod's extreme CPU load from constantly spawning sparkly things and headshot hitboxes for each actor will cause people's computers to melt. (Source: personal experience. I've done nuts.wad with Russian Overkill fine but BD just froze up)

OTOH it doesn't really matter: is anyone going to see the title screen of a mapset meant for -complevel 9 -record blah.lmp -warp xx ?

1 hour ago, RjY said:

Good effort and many thanks for trying but it has some problems:

Im gonna make another picture this Monday.

I hope I can fix this problems.

With BD, you can see the marine holding the BFG, that why I used BD, but I will change that.

Edited by DanielAlexander

Can I submit an old map (a few years old) that some people have seen already? It was never released on /idgames.

7 hours ago, Memfis said:

Can I submit an old map (a few years old) that some people have seen already? It was never released on /idgames.

Sure! I look forward to checking it out.

Cool, here is a link then! It's a short map inspired by Darkwave0000's works. The main criticism of the original version was that it had too many arch-viles, so I attempted to fix that. I'm still trying to figure out if it's more fun or tedious\annoying, so hopefully you slaughter folks will tell me if something needs changing. Also I don't have a name for it yet, so feel free to suggest something underground-related. Or maybe I'll come up with it myself later. The music is from Phobosphere.

mvwZVA3.png

Was it made for one of the Russian speedmapping sessions? It's familiar but I'm not sure...

11 hours ago, Memfis said:

Damnit you stole my idea. For some time I've been wondering if it is worth offering an old map of mine named Bugger This, as the project it was originally made for (a kind of prototype slaughterfest-like mapset, in 2010) died during compilation, and I haven't found a suitable home for it since. This project seemed ideal, as the map already has a demo — but it's a monster spawner map that must run in map30, which means it's against the rules, as I was disappointed to read. Perhaps an exception could be made? I don't care if it's on its own at the end of a wad that would otherwise only have 15 maps or whatever.

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

Cool, here is a link then!

This is really fun, I've not got close to an exit yet but I can pretty consistently get two of the keys and to about 40% kills which is far better than I usually do on this kind of map. Indeed I discovered after a half dozen tries or so that the first two keys are susceptible to a stay-silent exploit which makes it easier to get to the BFG without having to fight a few of the more troublesome monsters. Also I noticed there is a blue armour in the void (thing 373 at 2272,144)

Seems like you removed the wrong archviles. I'd prefer eight more on the ground to the four in the towers that don't add much threat but hide from your rockets/BFG.

It seemed like Memfis was expecting some feedback, but I will take Archi's demo as meaning that he approves of the map as is. :D

18 hours ago, RjY said:

Damnit you stole my idea. For some time I've been wondering if it is worth offering an old map of mine named Bugger This, as the project it was originally made for (a kind of prototype slaughterfest-like mapset, in 2010) died during compilation, and I haven't found a suitable home for it since. This project seemed ideal, as the map already has a demo — but it's a monster spawner map that must run in map30, which means it's against the rules, as I was disappointed to read. Perhaps an exception could be made? I don't care if it's on its own at the end of a wad that would otherwise only have 15 maps or whatever.

Very interesting :D I don't see why it couldn't be included in the MAP30 slot, since if we got 29 maps I would've wanted something to be made for MAP30 anyhow. The link for The Green Herring's demo is broken though; do you have a mirror?

26 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

Very interesting :D I don't see why it couldn't be included in the MAP30 slot, since if we got 29 maps I would've wanted something to be made for MAP30 anyhow. The link for The Green Herring's demo is broken though; do you have a mirror?

I do, yes, sorry. I forgot dropbox broke all their urls. Thanks for considering!

buggerthis_1sttry_byTGH.zip

New TITLEPIC:

MAXPIC.png.5bd58fe14a7677b784d085504e01592f.png

-Removed zdoom and Brutal Doom effects

-Correct size (320x200p)

I hope there are no problems with this version