Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

SlaughterMAX. Now on /idgames!

Hey, thanks for playing it! :-) I know I have some cheese to fix, among other things. Also, the final fight is way harder if you have infinite height turned on, and way faster if you let the cybers out ASAP. ;-)

15 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Hey, thanks for playing it! :-) I know I have some cheese to fix, among other things. Also, the final fight is way harder if you have infinite height turned on, and way faster if you let the cybers out ASAP. ;-)

Thanks for the information. Right now, I am currently working on a large slaughter level that would take several hours to beat (but it is not for this community project).

4 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Is there gonna be a Slaughtermax 2 for 2018?

I've been thinking about it. I could probably be convinced if there's interest, since it's a pretty easy project to run. Next time there will be new textures allowed (maybe a specific pack), and maybe a new gimmick. A rough draft for a new gimmick is SlaughterVAN, where all maps must be vanilla compatible, and any tester who finds a reproducible vanilla-related bug in a map can fix it themselves, make any other changes they want, and will get a credit added. :D Also I just really like SlaughterVAN as a name, and the TITLEPIC makes itself.

Edited by Benjogami

What about the vanilla visible sprite limit? Will it be illegal to have over 128 objects visible at the same time? Funny concept for a slaughter project but I guess it might prevent extreme grind.

Hmmm, it will probably be illegal to go over 128, yeah. It'll definitely be different kind of slaughter.

I just wrapped up a feedback stream, where I covered the maps in the "needing feedback" section (except @Dododamian's Ghost Ship, since he's been silent on the feedback given so far). Plus Archi's. Here's some timestamps for the VOD:

(the Twitch embeds seem messed up and are autoplaying, so here are plain links)

@40oz

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208521899?t=04m33s

@42PercentHealth

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208521899?t=57m08s

@Archi

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208521899?t=01h51m53s

Edited by Benjogami

@Benjogami Thanks for the playthrough! Yes, I did test, and I have beaten the last fight without saves. Only reason I haven't made a demo is because I know this isn't the final version of the map.

Good job in the red key room -- you played it the intended way! :-D I'm glad to know both those rooms (BK & RK) are possible with rockets only. My route goes for the BFG first, and if you are careful enough with cells, you can spend some in those fights to make them a bit easier. But I didn't want that to be the "intended" route necessarily, so I tried to balance those two rooms for rockets only.

As for the last fight, I have a reliable method for getting behind both hordes. If you hit the switches back there, then the YK lowers, and grabbing it unleashes the cybers. At that point, the map is pretty much over.

Edited by 42PercentHealth : I accidentally posted instead of auto-completing Benjogami's @mention. :-P

4 hours ago, Benjogami said:

Hmmm, it will probably be illegal to go over 128, yeah. It'll definitely be different kind of slaughter.

Maybe something along the lines of Swift Death?  Real challenge, shorter maps, but with room for details.

OK, here's what is hopefully the final version of my map (only because I don't want to admit that more changes will probably need to be made). Changes since my last release:

• The map has its own music (Knightrider of Doom -- Legion of Fear)
  • The map has difficulty settings now (which might need further balancing -- feedback is greatly appreciated!)
  • The bars all around the starting room are easier to open
  • The invul leading to the BFG area is harder to miss
  • In the BK room, textured the manc platform with the TP differently, so it's obvious that it does a thing
  • Also in BK room, moved the stack of rockets from the entryway to the end, so the player doesn't have to run around in pain sectors to restock
  • Implemented an insta-pop on all monsters in the RK room, to prevent cheese.
  • Shortened the spires in the final area, and aligned them with the N/S/E/W axes, to make grabbing megaspheres easier and to prevent cheese
  • Made the switches behind the rev and HK hordes in the final area easier to hit in a hurry
  • Various texturing and aesthetic improvements -- no overhauls and nothing that will affect gameplay though.

My warmest thanks to @Nine Inch Heels@rdwpa, @Archi, @Benjogami, and @mArt1And00m3r11339 for playtesting and giving feedback/suggestions! :-) At this point, I will welcome a legit uv-max demo, but keep in mind that demo-breaking changes might still happen. Also, I intend to make a demo myself, possibly on a Twitch stream, once I am fairly certain that the map is set-in-stone (at least for higher difficulties).

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:
  • Implemented an insta-pop on all monsters in the RK room, to prevent cheese.

insta-pop

Don't like the sound of that...

17 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I have a feeling that Slaughterfest 3 is pretty much dead.

Yeah, there's no one in control and most of the mappers have disappeared with bugs still left in their contributions. Unless someone wants to pull a Kyka and finish up those maps, there's not much anyone can do. I've been putting off uploading my map as a standalone in the hopes that someone would come back and do the necessary clean-up work to at least get the WAD out the door, with ten maps if need be, but even that doesn't seem like it will happen.

1 hour ago, Solarn said:

Yeah, there's no one in control and most of the mappers have disappeared with bugs still left in their contributions. Unless someone wants to pull a Kyka and finish up those maps, there's not much anyone can do. I've been putting off uploading my map as a standalone in the hopes that someone would come back and do the necessary clean-up work to at least get the WAD out the door, with ten maps if need be, but even that doesn't seem like it will happen.

I enjoyed the Slaughterfest wads, especially when doing videos of them. Now, I just make my own slaughter levels and submit them to /idgames or some other places where people download them.

7 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Don't like the sound of that...

Heh, it's not bad, I promise! Previously though, the player could kill everything in the RK room without even entering the room, which isn't how I intended it to be played. So I stored all the monsters safely in the floor until after the player is locked in. :-)

11 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

• The map has its own music (Knightrider of Doom -- Legion of Fear)

yeah! I love that song :D

ahhhh -.- tweaking gameplay since a week, still not fond of it & probably never will. I guess it's at least in a representable state and feedback would be very welcome. Should be pretty obvious where i joinked a lot of aspects & ideas from if you're familiar with Darkwaves stuff.

WkLFpHoh.png 

ritournelle_v1

Alright, the deadline is less than 2 months away, and if all of the maps submitted so far make it in, we have 30 maps (though of course it's not guaranteed that they all will make it in). There were also several people that expressed interest and maybe have WIPs, so there's a chance that we're overbooked. I combed through the thread to call those folks out :D

@Unholypimp1n
@cannonball
@loveless
@Relinquished
@Yousuf Anik
@Alfonzo

It'll be "first-maxed, first-in" until there are 32 maps, so keep that in mind everyone!

Wouldn't it be possible to release the project with 2 WAD files if there was a reasonable chance that, let's say, 4-6 more maps should come rolling in? I was thinking about making a map next month myself for this here project, so maybe it's an option?

I thought about it. Could do a "Side A / Side B" kind of thing. I also thought about rolling additional maps into next year for a SlaughterMAX 2, but then it would need to have the same format/rules/gimmick as this one, which I'm not too enthusiastic about. I won't close the door on any of these ideas yet, but, for now, let's assume that the current rules are the rules. :P

2 hours ago, tourniquet said:

ahhhh -.- tweaking gameplay since a week, still not fond of it & probably never will. I guess it's at least in a representable state and feedback would be very welcome. Should be pretty obvious where i joinked a lot of aspects & ideas from if you're familiar with Darkwaves stuff.

ritournelle_v1

Wow, really strong tribute to Darkwave32 but much harder. My only 'gripe' coming from my first playthrough is the absence of any armors for the last sections of the map (after you open the big area till the end of the level), unless I missed something. Some of the areas I liked the most are the BFG section, the megasphere area and the trick that leads to the yellow key (wtf^^); overall a really really cool level with outstanding visuals

small bug: one sector 39 doesn't lower revealing an HOM

I have a pile of layout skeletons on my drive of stuff that I start but never finish.  I kinda plan to undust them; take my chisel and paint-brush and "complete" them, but without running into the trap of burning out over some unattainable goal of perfect map.  A loose community project like this looks like a low-pressure place to drop a thing or two.

A month ago I took one of my unfinished layouts as a foundation, and I spent a few hours messing around and arbitrarily stylized stuff.  I threw a thousand imps in there.  Here is a cherrypicked photo (map is mostly unfinished, of course)

impcity.png.27c86094f8028ee305a2d4965fddc44b.png

Basically, I'm expressing interest in Slaughtermax 2.  Or maybe Slaughtermax 1 if I dive into it sooner but I didn't wanna pressure myself.

ps. I was writing this post when @Paul977 posted, and my pic showed up in his post temporarily which spooked me out :)

^ ha same here, i was wondering about the pic in paul's post that obviously wasn't from my map :D

@Paul977 thanks man, the lack of armour is a inept mistake due to revising powerup distribution over and over, the bugged sector was also a nice find

cheers for the feedback :)

ritournelle_v2

- additional armor

- fixed the broken sector

- additional changes and nerfs

I'll add HMP/HNTR with the next update, for the moment i just need a serious break from this map.

Edited by tourniquet

19 hours ago, Benjogami said:

I thought about it. Could do a "Side A / Side B" kind of thing. I also thought about rolling additional maps into next year for a SlaughterMAX 2, but then it would need to have the same format/rules/gimmick as this one, which I'm not too enthusiastic about. I won't close the door on any of these ideas yet, but, for now, let's assume that the current rules are the rules. :P

Is there a reason we can't just include more than 32 levels, like Speed of Doom and Chillax? (Forgive me if this is a dumb question...)

6 hours ago, tourniquet said:

ritournelle_v2

- additional armor

- fixed the broken sector

- additional changes and nerfs

I'll add HMP/HNTR with the next update, for the moment i just need a serious break from this map.

Uhh, this links to an entirely different wad called untitled_v2.wad with 680 monsters :S

lol, krypto this map wasn't meant to be public any time soon but thx for letting me know, seems like i messed some things up, fixed the link now ;D