Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

SlaughterMAX. Now on /idgames!

5 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Is there a reason we can't just include more than 32 levels, like Speed of Doom and Chillax? (Forgive me if this is a dumb question...)

I just didn't want to short change anyone, but I guess the 31 and 32 slots are kinda short changed since they have to be warped to. So, mayyybe. The other issue is midis. I forget how many of the 33+ maps can have custom midis (at that point you have to replace intermission music and such). I think music is important to a map, so I want everyone to have a midi that they like.

2 hours ago, Benjogami said:

I just didn't want to short change anyone, but I guess the 31 and 32 slots are kinda short changed since they have to be warped to. So, mayyybe. The other issue is midis. I forget how many of the 33+ maps can have custom midis (at that point you have to replace intermission music and such). I think music is important to a map, so I want everyone to have a midi that they like.

Ah, I gotcha.

@42PercentHealth you should buff the room with mancs and viles, it's too easy at this state. Make the room smaller and force the player to kill the viles first, that's what I did and that's what I find much more fun.

On 12/12/2017 at 1:59 PM, tourniquet said:

ahhhh -.- tweaking gameplay since a week, still not fond of it & probably never will. I guess it's at least in a representable state and feedback would be very welcome. Should be pretty obvious where i joinked a lot of aspects & ideas from if you're familiar with Darkwaves stuff.

WkLFpHoh.png 

ritournelle_v1

I beat Ritournelle. The bad news is there is 1 enemy left out because it failed to teleport or something (at least the version that I recorded). I don't know which one though. Video of it is now up.

0ritournelle_v1.zip

Edited by mArt1And00m3r11339

Well done, bummer about the missing monster. I need to check what's the problem.

One imp stuck in the floor for whatever reason.

Fixed ritournelle_v3

Edited by tourniquet

5 hours ago, tourniquet said:

Well done, bummer about the missing monster. I need to check what's the problem.

One imp stuck in the floor for whatever reason.

Fixed ritournelle_v3

I wonder if you fixed the missing texture. I spotted one in the version that I recorded.

Missing texture.png

What version is this demo for?

Edit: nvm, found that this is for v2.

Edited by Archi

I made that demo 3 weeks ago , I went inactive in doomworld soon .... as soon as I went active again a version 3 came out... glorious

Edit :a v3 demo is coming soon hopefully .I thought this demo was good enough to show how hard the wad is , but still a very bad time though.

Edited by A7MAD

On 07/05/2017 at 11:56 PM, Benjogami said:

Both the mapper and the maxer with the best time will be credited in the CWILs, and the fastest demo for each map will be released with the final compilation, so I’m hoping for some fun competition.

Ok bud!

Outhouse - UV-Max in 3:54

out01-354.zip

Crappy first exit, too many Revenants and stragglers near the end cost me time, if the Cybers can infight with the Revenants they'll be minimal to clean up afterwards which can save quite a pocket of time. I hate the start due to the Pain Elementals :D They make it a russian roulette luck fest, I've had golden runs where I leave the room above 160% as everything bunches up on the left and infights immediately, most of time shit just goes wandering all over the place. The texture usage and green slime coupled with the ferocious gameplay reminds me of Darkwave24, which is another brutal and unforgiving ordeal. I'll try to improve this later.

@42PercentHealth I found a problem in the red key area of your map:

lol.png.1ee2e7966ef9caedd8455bee0ab79b26.png5a36bcc8139d8_lol2.png.58519425af67e2a1463e8bb6432f6464.png

You can skip that linedef if you fall in the lava pit and use the teleport.

You need to put the teleport destination behind the linedef.

I hope you fix this :)

20 minutes ago, DanielAlexander said:

@42PercentHealth I found a problem in the red key area of your map:

lol.png.1ee2e7966ef9caedd8455bee0ab79b26.png5a36bcc8139d8_lol2.png.58519425af67e2a1463e8bb6432f6464.png

You can skip that linedef if you fall in the lava pit and use the teleport.

You need to put the teleport destination behind the linedef.

I hope you fix this :)

Good catch! Will fix immediately! :-)

Might want to angle your trigger lines so that they're harder to accidentally skip. Or even double line them like MrZzul suggests.

@42PercentHealth If you are still applying fixes to your map it may interest you to know I was able to kill 8 of the pop-up archviles around the red key by spamming about 30 rockets at the back wall from outside. Also, the switches that allow exit from same area can be easily pressed from below if you have the health to survive standing in the lava for a short time. -nomonsters demo of the latter

3 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

You can. Just remember to follow the guidelines provided.

So as long as I provide enough ammo, health, monsters it's fine? like, difficulty settings that are lower than ultra-violence giving like 350 monsters but if it's ultra-violence putting 500...but adding some room to fight monsters so you don't die very easily..

Here's the relevant bit of the guidelines about monster count.

On 5/7/2017 at 6:56 PM, Benjogami said:

It has to be a slaughter map. What’s a slaughter map? I dunno, but I know one when I see one! Monster count doesn’t really matter to me. Size doesn’t really matter to me. Anything that’s hard or that might be called a “challenge map” is probably fine. Anything that has an intimidating number of monsters attacking/pursuing the player at once, even if it’s more grindy than hard, is probably fine. But I don’t want to be in the awkward position of saying “this definitely isn’t slaughter, will not include,” so please do your best! Perhaps check out this thread for reference. We’re looking for something like high 2 and up (“high 2” meaning the hardest maps from wads that are rated 2). Although Combat Shock is listed as 1?! Whatever, the list is far from perfect, but hopefully gives you some idea.

Don't focus too much on padding monster count for the sake of it. I have made some short slaughtermaps that have double-digit monster counts. Just try to make something fun and challenging -- whether it turns out to have 100 monsters or whether you awaken from a mapping blackout to find a giant map with a monster count of 25000 with a heavy metal remix of the okuwad midi, it's all good as long as it plays well.  

As far as balancing difficulty settings, the ideal is making things more manageable while maintaining the core elements of encounters, so it's hard to say what monster counts on HMP will be relative to UV before you have designed the map and know what you are working with. Often a fight on HMP will have a similar monster count because the best way to tweak it might be to keep a horde intact but remove an archvile or two and add a soulsphere

5 hours ago, Suleyman said:

So as long as I provide enough ammo, health, monsters it's fine? like, difficulty settings that are lower than ultra-violence giving like 350 monsters but if it's ultra-violence putting 500...but adding some room to fight monsters so you don't die very easily..

rdwpa's answer is great. Anything that's challenging and fun is the goal! One of the most common slaughter experiences is being faced with something that seems impossible at first glance, but a solution can be found with some searching (sometimes quite quickly and on a single life, sometimes with much death). I use this as a design process sometimes: put down a bunch of monsters that seems terrifying and unbeatable, and then test it and tweak it until I can do it.

6 hours ago, tourniquet said:

ritournelle_v4

- Skill settings

- Coop

- et cetera

I won't add any further changes unless someone spots more bugs or has any complaints, suggestions.

I assumed this is ready for maxes now, so I moved it to that section. Let me know if that's incorrect.

7 hours ago, Suleyman said:

It can be whatever you want to be. It needs to be Boom-compatible and be a slaughter level. You can only include IWAD textures with the exceptions of the liquid falls that Benjogami has mentioned. Once there is a UV-max demo for your level, that is the final version of your level. I'm pretty sure that Benjogami is clear about the regulations (go to the first page of the forum and you should be able to see all of the regulations posted).