Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

SlaughterMAX. Now on /idgames!

I played Bdubz map in GLBoom+ it had no issues.  There was a HOM present from an unclosed sector but that was fixed in the new version he sent to me.  I wouldn't worry about missing textures in inaccessible places.

Since I changed my personal policy about slaughtermaps, I may contribute a level for this one. Hopefully.

Last time I tried to contribute to something, it required a lot of detail and thinking and so I couldn't get the map to my expectations, this however....You can sign me up for a map!

4 hours ago, antares031 said:

Since I changed my personal policy about slaughtermaps, I may contribute a level for this one. Hopefully.

What was your policy regarding slaughtermaps?

5 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

What was your policy regarding slaughtermaps?

Here are some quotes of mine about slaughtermaps:

On 2017. 6. 12. at 0:49 AM, antares031 said:

I do not like slaughtermaps. I swear.

On 2016. 5. 20. at 6:22 AM, Bloodshedder said:

Reviewed by: Not Jabba
Antares031 starts the text file description for this wad with the rather unpromising claim that "I usually don't make slaughtermaps, but I decided to create some levels that I normally hate."

On 2015. 12. 8. at 7:02 PM, antares031 said:

In conclusion, I'll never make slaughter maps again. I promise.

The funny thing is, though, I rarely create a level with less than a hundred. The more precise way to describe my policy would be "I do not like difficult maps."

Ah, 3 (6.5) damn hours of work and I present to you....Showdown! A UAC fort turned into HELL! As you enter to teleport to the next base, the demons swarm you relentlessly, at least there's 2 invulnerability spheres! Please tell me about any bugs or glitches you might find. (Please note that in terms of detail, it is not the best.) Most importantly, have fun!

Map : http://www.mediafire.com/file/6a643ibm9581z9o/ShowdownV2.zip

Demo (.lmp file is in the Zip folder) : 7:47 UV. MAX

Screenshot -

Played in Glboom-Plus, Recorded in Glboom-Plus

Screenshot from Gzdoom

EDIT 1 : Better Teleportation, Fixed Alignment in some textures.

You can download it again.

EDIT 2 : Map has been extended, double the amount of monsters, UV MAX is now 7:47 and a bit of balancing in the first area.

Edited by Dododamian

About teleport closets, there are a few basic things to know: 1) monsters will want to path towards the player, no matter where they are; 2) monsters are coded to be very averse to changing direction 180 degrees, so if they fail to teleport, they will walk the full length of a long teleporter closet, all the way to the back wall (if they don't bump into a monster), before reversing direction and then going all the way back to the teleport line; 3) teleport lines are unidirectional, and monsters only warp away when they cross the front side of a line (the side the little mark is pointing to, in the editor). 

Teleport closets in Showdown are far from optimal for a few reasons. First, the actual playspace is on the east side of all the closets, and the teleport lines are oriented north, so due to #1, monsters bunch up in awkward places like they did here in your demo:

Spoiler

p4PB99L.png

Given where the teleport lines are oriented, these closets should be 'below' the map.

It's also basically never a good idea to use one line in a big, multi-monster closet. Even with properly oriented lines, it makes warp-ins slow and inefficient because of #2. In the picture above you can also see that the teleport lines sometimes have wide gaps around the sides. This is not a good idea because of #3: a monster that walks into the gap and then crosses a teleport line from the wrong direction will not teleport away. It's just another source of inefficiency. 

Efficient teleport closets in slaughtermaps in general have lots of redundant lines, no gaps on the sides of teleport lines, a small % of the lines oriented the other way (so that a monster that reaches the front of the closet without teleporting will have another quick chance to teleport without having to march a long distance), and clusters of lines at both the back and front if the closet is truly huge enough.  

Edited by rdwpa

9 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

About teleport closets, there are a few basic things to know: 1) monsters will want to path towards the player, no matter where they are; 2) monsters are coded to be very averse to changing direction 180 degrees, so if they fail to teleport, they will walk the full length of a long teleporter closet, all the way to the back wall (if they don't bump into a monster), before reversing direction and then going all the way back to the teleport line; 3) teleport lines are unidirectional, and monsters only warp away when they cross the front side of a line (the side the little mark is pointing to, in the editor). 

Teleport closets in Showdown are far from optimal for a few reasons. First, the actual playspace is on the east side of all the closets, and the teleport lines are oriented north, so due to #1, monsters bunch up in awkward places like they did here in your demo:

Reveal hidden contents

p4PB99L.png

Given where the teleport lines are oriented, these closets should be 'below' the map.

It's also basically never a good idea to use one line in a big, multi-monster closet. Even with properly oriented lines, it makes warp-ins slow and inefficient because of #2. In the picture above you can also see that the teleport lines sometimes have wide gaps around the sides. This is not a good idea because of #3: a monster that walks into the gap and then crosses a teleport line from the wrong direction will not teleport away. It's just another source of inefficiency. 

Efficient teleport closets in slaughtermaps in general have lots of redundant lines, no gaps on the sides of teleport lines, a small % of the lines oriented the other way (so that a monster that reaches the front of the closet without teleporting will have another quick chance to teleport without having to march a long distance), and clusters of lines at both the back and front if the closet is truly huge enough.  

Thank you for telling me about that, I was trying to make it work but it just seemed like I couldn't make it work. Thanks a lot rdwpa, I will edit the lines right now.

3 hours ago, Dododamian said:

Ah, 3 damn hours of work and I present to you....Showdown!

[...]

Also, do I need to put in multiplayer starts?

Please do include coop player starts, and make a reasonable effort to prevent coop games from softlocking. Also, although you've included a demo, it seems that you're still planning to make changes to the map (and infact your demo is already desync'd), so I'll put you in the "needing testing/feedback" section for now. Keep in mind that you don't need to record a demo right away, and it's better to wait if you don't think that the map is in its final version, since most changes will break demos.

7 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

Please do include coop player starts, and make a reasonable effort to prevent coop games from softlocking. Also, although you've included a demo, it seems that you're still planning to make changes to the map (and infact your demo is already desync'd), so I'll put you in the "needing testing/feedback" section for now. Keep in mind that you don't need to record a demo right away, and it's better to wait if you don't think that the map is in its final version, since most changes will break demos.

Got it, I'll record a demo after I think that the map is fully finished, I might also make another map.

One more note: if you're planning on making the map minimally suitable for maxers to compete for good times on, it's a good idea to make sure the timed exit doesn't take too long to lower. Sometimes there are setups where a mapper might not anticipate just how quickly a skilled maxer can clear stuff out, and those maps become the sort where max times can vary by only a small number of seconds, simply because it's impossible to leave before a set period of time, no matter how fast you work.

If you want to preserve the threat level in casual play for that amount of time anyway, a good alternative is to set stuff up so the exit isn't convenient to access when lots of monsters are still around, but is freely accessible when lots of stuff is dead. For example, at some point a barrier could lower to reveal a platform with some barons on it, with a lift leading up to it, and a switch that lowers the exit behind the barons. In casual play, either monsters warping in on the ground will interfere with safely riding up the lift or the barons on the platform will keep the player from easily accessing the switch. But a maxer will be able to sweep through things more quickly and then be able to leave as quickly as they can kill everything. 

12 minutes ago, Dododamian said:

Got it, I'll record a demo after I think that the map is fully finished, I might also make another map.

Also, here are some observations for Showdown:

- The door didn't work for me (had to noclip through it).

- The exit lowers much too slowly I think: the player has to wait around for a long time after the monsters are done teleporting in. I think it would be cool if the exit opened up as soon as the threat has finished peaking, when there's mostly just cleanup left to do, so that the player has the option to run away or stick around and get max kills.

- Further, the lowering exit acts as a "hard timer" for when the player can exit, which can potentially make optimizing a speedrun uninteresting, since all runs that kill everything before it finishes lowering will be equivalent. Although keeping 1 archvile alive and killing it as it jumps you into the exit would be very cool. :D

- There's a gap in the wall western wall of the start area, behind the teleporter in the lava:

doom00.png

19 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

One more note: if you're planning on making the map minimally suitable for maxers to compete for good times on, it's a good idea to make sure the timed exit doesn't take too long to lower. Sometimes there are setups where a mapper might not anticipate just how quickly a skilled maxer can clear stuff out, and those maps become the sort where max times can vary by only a small number of seconds, simply because it's impossible to leave before a set period of time, no matter how fast you work.

I have made the exit take less time to lower, however I will probably extend the map and the exit will be behind some doors, Thanks for all the feedback and suggestion guys!

8 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

Also, here are some observations for Showdown:

- The door didn't work for me (had to noclip through it).

- The exit lowers much too slowly I think: the player has to wait around for a long time after the monsters are done teleporting in. I think it would be cool if the exit opened up as soon as the threat has finished peaking, when there's mostly just cleanup left to do, so that the player has the option to run away or stick around and get max kills.

- Further, the lowering exit acts as a "hard timer" for when the player can exit, which can potentially make optimizing a speedrun uninteresting, since all runs that kill everything before it finishes lowering will be equivalent. Although keeping 1 archvile alive and killing it as it jumps you into the exit would be very cool. :D

- There's a gap in the wall western wall of the start area, behind the teleporter in the lava!

doom00.png

1. That's intentional, there's a teleporter to the left side from where the cacodemons are.

2. Made it quicker, will probably extend the map however.

3. That would be cool, but as I said in 2.

4. That's odd, I'm pretty sure I set it the ceiling height the same as the floor height, I need to check that. (Fixed, Darn F_SKY1)

Version 2 of my map has been released, this is (hopefully) the last version of my map. Please check my post for changes and the new download link.

On 6/28/2017 at 7:22 PM, Scotty said:

Ok, shoulda double checked it in Boom, always some texture bullshit with it... will take a quick look. (edit - i think there was a problem with the patches or something, this link for the map works for Boom players anyway cause i put all the textures in).

Finally got around to playing this; here is an FDA with saves. I tried to approach fights from different angles between attempts and tried some cheesy stuff, to hopefully give you some different looks. The map looks great and was fun to play, and I didn't run into any issues, so I don't have a ton of feedback, except:

- It perhaps takes a bit too long for the invuln/telefrag sequence to open up on the last fight

- It might be nice to give the player a way to go back at the end, so they can clean up stuff they missed

- It could probably be harder, but it's in a nice spot for my skill level where I think I'd be comfortable doing max attempts without it becoming a terrible grind. Seems like it would be fun to try an aggressive route that rushes the BFG.

I have some short messy maps here I was going to use for another project.

Have a look at them and tell me what you think. I'll make necessary adjustments to make them fit with the project.

40oz_SM01.wad (img) (edit: Plays on MAP02)

40oz_SM02.wad (img) (edit: Plays on MAP03)

40oz_SM03.wad (img) (edit: Plays on MAP04)

Edited by 40oz : Forgot to change the MAP numbers before sharing

It's quiet...too quiet, just like the Ghost Ship used to be. Now, it's infested with Hellspawn! But hey, all we have to do is get the 3 different skull keys from the 3 different rifts ; Cave, Flesh and Hell. Easy, Right?

Not Quite.

Significantly harder than Showdown, here it is. Ghost Ship

Map Download - http://www.mediafire.com/file/9on94vh9v5at5av/Ghost+Ship.zip

Screenshot - ixWFocV.jpg

Please Do note, I don't want demos, I just want feedback from this lovely map. And yes, it IS beatable in UV MAX, the reason why I don't want demos is because I might change some stuff in the map.

Good Luck Surviving and most importantly, have fun! :)

ok, threw this together over a couple of days.. my lore skills arent up to scratch so il just say doomguy needs to kill..... stuff... to get to the exit, where joy and happiness awaits him :)

Full ITYTD meme difficulty implemented, on HMP i just lazily removed 90% of the monsters and called it a day. Good thing i have til next year to provide a demo for this because im bad at doom after not playing for a while and I've become extremely rusty so itll be a bit of a task for me to get thru this saveless :P

screenshots:

JfVD4hV.jpg xCiFROU.png

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhngvk1wsd9i3fz/literallyunplayablev5.wad?dl=0

1 minute ago, bemused said:

ok, threw this together over a couple of days.. my lore skills arent up to scratch so il just say doomguy needs to kill..... stuff... to get to the exit, where joy and happiness awaits him :)

Full ITYTD meme difficulty implemented, on HMP i just lazily removed 90% of the monsters and called it a day. Good thing i have til next year to provide a demo for this because im bad at doom after not playing for a while and I've become extremely rusty so itll be a bit of a task for me to get thru this saveless :P

screenshots:

JfVD4hV.jpg xCiFROU.png

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhngvk1wsd9i3fz/literallyunplayablev5.wad?dl=0

Damn, I gotta try that when I have time. Looks epic.

9 hours ago, Dododamian said:

It's quiet...too quiet, just like the Ghost Ship used to be. Now, it's infested with Hellspawn! But hey, all we have to do is get the 3 different skull keys from the 3 different rifts ; Cave, Flesh and Hell. Easy, Right?

Not Quite.

Significantly harder than Showdown, here it is. Ghost Ship

I'm getting HOMs all around the perimeter of the start area in PrBoom+, glBoom+, GZDoom:

doom05.png

5 hours ago, Dododamian said:

Damn, I gotta try that when I have time. Looks epic.

I played it this morning, good luck.

4 hours ago, Benjogami said:

I'm getting HOMs all around the perimeter of the start area in PrBoom+, glBoom+, GZDoom:

doom05.png

What? I tested this in Gzdoom, Zandronum and Glboom+, there are no HOMS.

EDIT : So in Prboom+, HOMs are present but not in the other source ports you mentioned. What's going on here?

Edited by Dododamian

it is indeed a bit rough in places haha, spent a few hours faceplanting into it last night.. will prob need to throw down a few more stimpaks in places and between fights to compensate for any fuckups the player makes as it is indeed very tight atm. Will hopefully post up a new version later today once ive woken up a bit :)

15 minutes ago, bemused said:

it is indeed a bit rough in places haha, spent a few hours faceplanting into it last night.. will prob need to throw down a few more stimpaks in places and between fights to compensate for any fuckups the player makes as it is indeed very tight atm. Will hopefully post up a new version later today once ive woken up a bit :)

In all honestly, I might sound like a whining brat here, but remove some barons from the area with the demons and cacos because it is so damn tight!

36 minutes ago, Dododamian said:

In all honestly, I might sound like a whining brat here, but remove some barons from the area with the demons and cacos because it is so damn tight!

Yeah that bit is intentionally tight.. although some barons could probably be swapped for hellknights to reduce the amount of grind.. i found going for the pinky/caco side and staying there circling them spamming plasma til the barons came round the corners, then switching sides to spam rockets at the barons worked pretty consistently. Generally have no armour left there at all so there really isnt a great deal of breathing room to mess up. I did have to move the mega immediately after that bit a little closer to the switch press as it was basically impossible to grab when the floor lowered, being placed behind mancs who cockblocked me every single time :P Also sent a PM wrt the sky in your ghost ship map^

Edited by bemused

14 minutes ago, bemused said:

Yeah that bit is intentionally tight.. althouth some barons could probably be swapped for hellknights to reduce the amount of grind.. i found going for the pinky/caco side and staying there circling them spamming plasma til the barons came round the corners, then switching sides to spam rockets at the barons worked pretty consistently. Generally have no armour left there at all so there really isnt a great deal of breathing room to mess up. I did have to move the mega immediately after that bit a little closer to the switch press as it was basically impossible to grab when the floor lowered, being placed behind mancs who cockblocked me every single time :P 

lol I was actually going to suggest to move the mega cause it was impossible to get to (well pretty much..)  I ended up just luring the revs to one side, and then running by them on the other side and hoping that the cyber wouldnt shoot my 50% health down to 0%