Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

SlaughterMAX. Now on /idgames!

Krypto is my favorite speed runner simply because he makes speed running look easy when its actually not . His godly skills cannot be matched!

Thanks mate :) Your a kick ass speedrunner yourself.

Well most speedruns take me on average 30 minutes to an hour, it doesn't take me a huge amount of effort and time to get most runs, the longest I've spent on getting a first exit on a map is around 4-5 hours, but that's at the extreme end of difficulty such as Soulscarred Universe and Sunder MAP10 :P I assume other speedrunners take much longer with their runs in general, but I've never really asked :s

@Yousuf Anik I hope you update your map soon as their's only 1 map slot left ;o

ok here's a updated version of my map. Sorry for the late. So many things I changed on this map, the last I changed was:

1. Reduced the Archies (that spawns right after the red key room battle) amount to 5, so its good now.

2. Added a teleporter just behind the yellow key switch on that bridge section.

3. Added a lift near the Rev bridge.

Tested the map and found no problem so far. Thanks very much to Benjogami for supporting and Bdubzz for cool ideas. Pretty much everything I fixed that was needed, implemented all 3 difficulties (easy, medium and hard). So I think this is going to be the final version of my map. Need a max demo so I hope someone here can help ;)

SMAX-HI-final(v3).zip

Edited by Yousuf Anik

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's active on the forum and I've @mention'd him in this thread a few times, but there's been no response. Maybe he has mention notifications turned off or something. I suppose I should have PM'd him, but it's late and we've got enough maps. :P 

All wrapped up, huh? That's fair enough.

I began a map a couple of weeks ago on-stream but have struggled to back it up off the air, much to my disappointment. It's caused a bit of strife, mentally, because I now realize that I've become far too complacent in my usual approach when designing for more conventionally sized maps, never once having made anything with a layout larger than probably 90% of the maps on offer, here, in my eight years as an on-and-off designer. Thinking about massively grouped monster placement and playing space before drawing much more than anything at all—as has been advised by people watching my stream, like @Nine Inch Heels—is the antithesis of my usual method. It's always been quite easy for me to simply rely on the bending of interesting shapes in my layout and then use precise, low-density monster placement to make those areas work in interesting ways. Thinking back to front, not that it's absolutely necessary to do so, has short-circuited my damn brain.

I've failed, then, but I find the process fascinating enough and will be back for round two, whenever that is. Thanks for selling this as a beginner-friendly sort of project, Benjo. It's given me the opportunity to focus on deficiencies I didn't know I had.

22 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

Benjogami can confirm but the way I read the rules in the original post, as long as you submit a slaughter map with a valid cl9 uvmax demo by 31th Jan, then your map will be accepted into the project. That means you still have 10 days to submit, so, there is still time to get your map into the project if you want. How the final wad is organized will depend on how many maps have been accepted. Currently there are 31 accepted maps, 1 finished map short a uvmax and 4 maps that are still in (slow) development.

9 minutes ago, Bloodite Krypto said:

Heavy Impact - UV-Max in 22:21

HI-2221.zip

wow! that's cool. My average time was around 45mins, that too with saves. Pretty terrible :D Will watch it after some time ;)

My time with saves on a first playthrough was 19 minutes :) but is an unrealistic goal when playing aggressively. The texturing scheme and architecture reminds me of the later sections of Okumap for some reason :D

Oh wow, nicely done everyone! That's a wrap on the mapping then. There was some brainstorming on what do if there were over 32 maps, but it looks like we've landed neatly on 32. If anyone had a work in progress, it's not wasted! There are other projects out there, and there will be a followup to SlaughterMAX, although it will be quite different. Or you can always make a few more friends for the map and release them together. :D

Mapping is done, but I suspect there is still some HMP/HNTR implementation that needs to be done. Now is the time to do that! Make sure your map's demo is still sync'd after making any changes, and always keep a backup of the last good version! Also, please let me know where your midis are from. And your skies. Please add the credits to your post that is linked in the map list in the OP. Or make a new post or whatever. :P

Demos can still be submitted until 1/31, if anyone would like to improve times or steal records.

Graphics can also be submitted until 1/31.

13 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

[...]

I'm sad, I was looking forward to an Alfonzo slaughtermap! Round two it shall be, then. I must admit that one of my goals for SlaughterMAX was to sell my favorite flavor of Doom, to get people to try something new, and to maybe change some minds in the eternal slaughter debate. To that end, I was very happy to see lots of new faces submit maps. I was also honored and amused that the biggest, slaughteriest map is by antares031, someone who was not always a fan of slaughter :D His self-recorded demo has even gone uncontested! Memfis was another mapper that I secretly hoped would submit a map. I'm glad that I got your gears grinding, Alfonzo. Next time!

The ruleset for the followup to SlaughterMAX is mostly designed. I hope it will excite everyone. :D 

But, first thing's first.

Edited by Benjogami

Abscessv UV-Max 5:52

First exit with grabbing the BFG early strat..which really relies on Will cyber demons not infight near the switches ( i rocket the barons at first so there's less chance of that) 

Abscess-552.zip

The Broken Machine midi:

Street Fighter II - Ken's Theme

Canyon Base midi:

Last Ninja 2 - Central Park Loader OST

The Mouth of Madness Midi:

A remix of the Shinra Company theme from FF7 called Son of Chaos.

Nice run Bdubz, glad to see my map inspiring a bit of competition :D Also shoutout to @Benjogami for making a fun project. Glad to see people who don't usually enjoy slaughter making some maps. The demos also mean people get more involved in the playtesting process, which is great. Cool stuff all round.

The Eclipse of Betelgeuse

MIDI: Psychedelic Eyeball - The Day of Defeat

Skybox: Mechadon - HDRKSKY2 from "Mek's Box 'o Skies!"

Electro Wizard - "Bergschrund" by James Paddock

Dear Ringer - "Guardhouse" by James Paddock

Struggle Bug - "Heretic E1M9 Graveyard" by Kevin Schilder

26 minutes ago, Bloodite Krypto said:

Abscess - UV-Max in 5:41

Nice run, the time is getting hard to improve now lol

2 hours ago, Player177 said:

nevermore, Velvet in 10:54 Thanks to floatRand for the map

Velvet-1054.zip

I'm sorry to report that you missed a monster :( Very nice demo though.

doom00.png.41a3d9d3464dcda63e689fbc0747cf52.png

The monster count on the automap doesn't include resurrected monsters, but if you set "smart totals" to "no" in the status bar / hud settings, it'll count them in the advanced hud:

doom01.png.610cef9c3ba2bf03cb74c288733a45e0.png