Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

SlaughterMAX. Now on /idgames!

alright.. new version, spammed a few stimpaks around randomly in the harder areas, swapped a few barons for HKs, swapped a cyb out for a manc because it felt a bit too grindy, replaced the green armour at the start with a blue, which makes the whole first half a lot easier. Also put trees in the start area because trees are great mmkay. Got halfway through saveless on a first test run so it should be a lot easier now :)

Probably gonna be final version now unless ive drastically messed something up without realising.. much appreciate all the feedback given

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2aio97inh5x618/literallyunplayablev6.wad?dl=0

4 hours ago, Bdubzzz said:

lol I was actually going to suggest to move the mega cause it was impossible to get to (well pretty much..)  I ended up just luring the revs to one side, and then running by them on the other side and hoping that the cyber wouldnt shoot my 50% health down to 0%

After that area opens up into the next fight there is a good deal of health available.  As it stands that map is completely possible to max it just requires tight execution.

Wow, what a stunning map, i love the sense of scale in both the architecture and the fights. Absolutely incredible really.

I felt that the fights were all pretty front loaded and once i got through the initial barrage there was always a path to run around the hordes. There was a lot of cleanup involved and maybe some of the earlier fights would benefit from having a Cyber or two on the ground to mix things up - conversely in the final fight there were so, so many Cybers clustered in the centre of the map, maybe a few could teleport out onto the field? Or perhaps you could try having spiders in that central area, they might work well there? I imagine maxing this map was a pain in the ass because of all the random pockets of enemies and stuff that gather around the battlefield, but that is perhaps inevitable with such massive, massive fights.

14 hours ago, antares031 said:

The Eclipse of Betelgeuse (Beta)

Sweet, I was hoping this map was for SlaughterMAX ;)

Although you provided a Max demo, I put you in the "Maps that need testing/feedback" section since you're expecting to make changes. I'll be sure to check it out Soon™.

On 13/7/2017 at 8:10 PM, Killer5 said:

Power Overwhelming

Max in 15:16, nice map, the start is too luck based but the rest is good.

It should be more obvious that you have to press the fireblu walls to open the exit, maybe a lights change when you press them or something that indicates that you are doing correct.

po-1516.zip

Edited by Ancalagon

9 minutes ago, Ancalagon said:

It should be more obvious that you have to press the fireblu walls to open the exit, maybe a chance in lights when you press them or something that indicates that you are doing correct.

I second that. I was actually tempted to open the map in an editor to see what opens the exits, but I ended up being lazy and just doing try and error.

Also, unfortunately my laptop can't handle opening all sides at once, which I think must have been what Ancalagon did. but either way it's a fun map to play in spite of its hefty opening.

@Ancalagon @Nine Inch Heels

Oh.. the opening is an excerpt from one of my more esoteric wads I never released. I used to make wads with really insane setups like that one to improve my playing. Also ToD is one of my favorite mappers so his ideas show up in my maps from time to time.

Thanks for playing!

@Benjogami, Hi there. I'm quite new here, but I'm really interested in contributing a map for this, possibly more depending on time. I was wondering whether its necessary to 'book' a map placement? Or is it simply a matter of submitting a map when its finished, and if there is available space left?

I'm finishing up a solo project at the moment, but I'd like to contribute my next efforts to this project :).

The Eclipse of Betelgeuse (Beta 2)

This is the updated version of my level that I uploaded before. There are a couple of changes in the level, based on the live playthroughs on Twitch (thanks, loveless and ELMLE!). I also implemented difficulty settings, including "easy" one that features a bunch of indispensable monsters for slaughtermaps. Not to mention that I added a little bit more monsters for the final stage, since I deleted a few cyberdemons in the middle. Like the previous one, this version includes the UV-Max playthrough demo, which is about 37 minutes long and was recorded with GLBoom+. If there's no critical glitch that breaks the level, this will be the final version for SlaughterMAX.

Click here to download

19 hours ago, antares031 said:

The Eclipse of Betelgeuse (Beta 2)

This is the updated version of my level that I uploaded before. There are a couple of changes in the level, based on the live playthroughs on Twitch (thanks, loveless and ELMLE!). I also implemented difficulty settings, including "easy" one that features a bunch of indispensable monsters for slaughtermaps. Not to mention that I added a little bit more monsters for the final stage, since I deleted a few cyberdemons in the middle. Like the previous one, this version includes the UV-Max playthrough demo, which is about 37 minutes long and was recorded with GLBoom+. If there's no critical glitch that breaks the level, this will be the final version for SlaughterMAX.

Click here to download

I would love to play through it but the issue that I have is the frame rate when I play this with GZDoom and Zandronum. I don't know if it is because everyone is now making levels that force players to use a vanilla-driven source port for them to run smoothly. I have a level that might be suitable for this project but no one used a vanilla-driven source port to record it. Just to warn you that it looks like garbage. The level is titled "No Turning Back." I would love to include a midi version of the boss theme from a Sega game, View Point.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/ntb

Zdoom-based ports tend to not do well performance-wise when maps start getting larger, high monster counts, or long lines of sight.  PrBoom+/GlBoom+ has better performance and works well with slaughter gameplay for these reasons and other things like no free look, no free aim, infinite monster height, etc.

5 hours ago, loveless said:

Zdoom-based ports tend to not do well performance-wise when maps start getting larger, high monster counts, or long lines of sight.  PrBoom+/GlBoom+ has better performance and works well with slaughter gameplay for these reasons and other things like no free look, no free aim, infinite monster height, etc.

Why aren't the people who developed the ZDoom-driven source ports making them run just as smooth on certain types of levels as the vanilla-driven source ports do? Do you think that all of the ZDoom-driven source ports are going to become discontinued while the vanilla-driven source ports are still relevant?

5 hours ago, loveless said:

That's why I always prefer prboom+ to play slaughter maps. It's really good for those pc that can't handle slaughter maps in zdoom smoothly. 

8 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

Why aren't the people who developed the ZDoom-driven source ports making them run just as smooth on certain types of levels as the vanilla-driven source ports do? Do you think that all of the ZDoom-driven source ports are going to become discontinued while the vanilla-driven source ports are still relevant?

ZDoom and GZDoom have a bunch of features that cause performance to degrade when there are a lot of monsters. I don't really understand why there isn't a mode where monster AI works more classically if the currently-loaded wads don't need the extra features, but I Am Not Graf Zahl.

I think as long as there is a critical mass of players who are enthusiastic about slaughter gameplay and huge masses of monsters, there will always be a demand for both kinds of sourceports: those that are full of fancy new features and get bogged down when there are lots of monsters, and those that have less newfangled features but can handle the monsters.

Since I know that you are fond of slaughtermaps with lots of monsters, I encourage you to check out PrBoom+ or GlBoom+ and consider using them to test your maps and make your videos. You won't be able to freeaim, rocket jump, and monster surf, but most slaughter mapsets aren't designed for those anyhow.

3 hours ago, Yousuf Anik said:

That's why I always prefer prboom+ to play slaughter maps. It's really good for those pc that can't handle slaughter maps in zdoom smoothly. 

Where do you get Glboom-plus 2.5.1.3 -complevel 9 from?

2 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

Complevel 9 relates to the boom mapping format. Any PrBoom+ port that I know of is able to support that complevel for reasons given. You can really just use PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5 or 2.5.1.4 they will basically be the same for maxing, and the only difference between those is how mousemovent is being "scaled", for lack of a better term.

18 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

glboom-plus.exe > options > miscellaneous > default compatibility level  and choose Boom. That's the -complevel 9. And yes, it's right whatever Nine Inch Heels said. You may feel a little bit different at first but once you get used with prboom port, you'll feel easy ;)

33 minutes ago, Yousuf Anik said:

glboom-plus.exe > options > miscellaneous > default compatibility level  and choose Boom. That's the -complevel 9. And yes, it's right whatever Nine Inch Heels said. You may feel a little bit different at first but once you get used with prboom port, you'll feel easy ;)

The weird thing is that when I look to the left or right, I end up moving my body in different directions. How do I go about fixing that?

17 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

The weird thing is that when I look to the left or right, I end up moving my body in different directions. How do I go about fixing that?

Options > mouse sensitivity. From here inrease or decrease the amount of horizontal/vertical movements as well as acceleration and see what fits you.

19 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

if by that you mean moving forward or backward, then you need to adjust your "vertical" sensitivity to the lowest possible value, that should remedy that issue.