Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

SlaughterMAX. Now on /idgames!

A commentary text for Velvet? Sure. 

When I started working on this map concept, I had some few constraints; 

* A rather constrained space, after coming from Confinement project I had some hungering for more.

* Contains invasion finale that can be accessed from start

* Shortcuts and secret doors aplenty

Originally I had floated idea of making map sort of silly 'revenant factory', with conveyors moving them around, and finale being bit comical bit where you open security system to slam a button that releases all revenants into the factory. I had even thought about using 'Spalding Factory' theme from Barkley Gaiden. However, I must I struggled with the theme (perhaps it is just that I kinda am bad at using Doom2 textures), so I kinda went with my 'safe space' which is magical libraries etc. A throwback to 'Felt' of Disjunction and first map I made public. But perhaps it is masturbatory to reference something so recent - and something that is not perhaps that great. 

Either way, doing slaughter-style gameplay proved to be bit difficult with the set constraints and maybe feels like afterthought. I hadn't really done that much slaughtery stuff, outside of specific encounters from Disjunction - map10 finale particular. I also tried to make the final encounter difficult to cheese, a situation where you have no safe corners to sit in and you have to use to shortcuts / openings you made prior, but if you rush the switches to the exit you can access outside section which can be used to safely kill revenants. Oh well. It isn't the fastest way apparently, so I guess it isn't that bad of a deal. 

Oh, and I did enjoy making those 'elemental plane' sections. The 'elemental plane of fire' worked out much better, but the water one? I guess I didn't have as many ideas as I hoped. Oh well. 

Edited by floatRand

Spectre01, if map29 can reduce by 3000 lines, we can play this in zdaemon, do you think it's possible?

3 hours ago, Krull said:

Map29 is a masterpiece but did you really have to use Church of the Machine at the end? It's such a jarring transition from the moody soundtrack that precedes it, not to mention that it has already appeared on many maps in the past, most notably Scythe2's map30. Why not use another track from HR2?

Thanks! I wanted something more upbeat for the final macro fight, and a reason to try out the music changer feature. I'm also a big fan of Scythe 2's map30, and really like that track as a midi. I can change it to something else if people think it doesn't fit and recommend a good alternative.

1 hour ago, damo2k said:

Spectre01, if map29 can reduce by 3000 lines, we can play this in zdaemon, do you think it's possible?

That would be a non-trivial undertaking for a map this large. I'm also pretty sure changing that much geometry would desync the demo. I would also need to add quite a few coop teleporters, or something, due to the heavy lock-in nature of the map. Also, something would need to be done about the respawn point, otherwise deaths in the first section would lead to being thrown into the quad-Cyber gangbang. It sounds like something that could possibly be done if there's an alternative coop release, but I'm not sure if all that is possible while keeping the demo rule of the project in place. And I don't think I have it in me to record another UV-Max. :P

9 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Thanks! I wanted something more upbeat for the final macro fight, and a reason to try out the music changer feature. I'm also a big fan of Scythe 2's map30, and really like that track as a midi. I can change it to something else if people think it doesn't fit and recommend a good alternative.

That would be a non-trivial undertaking for a map this large. I'm also pretty sure changing that much geometry would desync the demo. I would also need to add quite a few coop teleporters, or something, due to the heavy lock-in nature of the map. Also, something would need to be done about the respawn point, otherwise deaths in the first section would lead to being thrown into the quad-Cyber gangbang. It sounds like something that could possibly be done if there's an alternative coop release, but I'm not sure if all that is possible while keeping the demo rule of the project in place.

Yes let's only worry about this for an alternate wad for coop. Your maps are always amazing , and would be a pity to miss out on them for coop.

Edited by damo2k

Any changes for co-op are already to be in a separate WAD, so the demo is a non-issue. FWIW, I think a larger map better lends itself to reducing the number of linedefs, as they're more spread out so any given area wouldn't need many to be removed.

Also I don't think I've heard Church of the Machine in any other map than the one in Scythe 2. When it comes to Symphony X I've heard Absence of Light more, and I'd say probably any HR2 MIDI has seen more usage than that track.

35 minutes ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

The door in the first room of map02 doesn't open.  Tried in both gzdoom and glboom.

Heh, I also reported that as a bug when I first played it, but that door is intentionally broken. The way past it is a teleporter in the lava to the left of the door.

Regarding coop stuff and MAP29: since we'll definitely be making whatever fixes necessary to get coop working in a second wad, @Spectre01 please see if you can find some lines to remove so that it can be built in ZenNode, and also add ways to get back in to whatever lock-ins there are. I think your map is the only one I wouldn't really be comfortable working on myself, since the changes will require some artistic decision-making. No demos will be necessary for the coop version. Please try to keep the gameplay the same as possible, though. ;)

If anyone else whose map needs coop changes has been following along and would like to implement their own fixes, just let me know ASAP, because I plan to gather the feedback and implement fixes myself, as simply as I can, and I wouldn't want to do that work for nothing. If I run into anything that seems to require artistic decision-making, I'll reach out to the respective authors.

Anyone who is making changes to their map: please make changes to the version of your map that is in the RC1 wad, rather than the original version that you have.

There is definitely some micro-detailing I can cut out. The small crosses in the starting tunnel alone were over 800 lines!

O.o I never realized the beta got released

Some comments:

Map 22 - A map dedicated  for players to take their anger on hordes of Cyberdemons and @Archi's

Map 24 - I forgot to tag all the monsters with the 'deaf' tag , ooops...

Here's the updated version of my submission; MAP28. This also includes new UV-Max demo, which is 33 minutes 4 seconds long.

- Optimization for PrBoom+ players, with a slight frame-rate boost.

Spoiler

Before:

2fdb48510a.png

After:

c5f38944f0.png

- Further decrease the time between monster teleportations in the last stage.

Click here to download

* P.S.: Author's Comment "Try to load this level with GLBoom+, if you're having a frame-rate issue. Thanks, and have fun."

@antares031 How did you remove nearly 7k sprites without reducing the monster count? I mean, what was there, torches? Also, with the segs being that high, there isn't much you can do to get "playable" FPS there.

23 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

@antares031 How did you remove nearly 7k sprites without reducing the monster count?

I don't know what exactly happened; what I did was relocating 7.5k monsters, which were hidden behind the skybox, and deleting 2.7k things in the playable area. And yes, it's unfortunate that it's hard to get decent frame-rate with PrBoom+ for this giant level. But you can still have a decent frame rate, if you run this level with GLBoom+.

99d081317e.png

On my system at least, there is a sync prob on the map 13 demo but it plays perfectly on the rfest18-v2.wad  I am loving these demos!

On 12/02/2018 at 11:19 PM, Benjogami said:

Well, since there's clearly a demand for it, it will be done.

Is there some sort of list of co-op fixes that are needed being compiled somewhere?

9 minutes ago, Degree23 said:

Is there some sort of list of co-op fixes that are needed being compiled somewhere?

There is. I haven't started on any of it yet, because I want RC2 to be finalized before I split off the coop version, so I don't have to make lots of fixes in 2 different wads. elmle is playing through the Wild difficulty, so I might make some more tweaks based on that, and then start on the coop when that's done.

Spoiler

rebuild nodes with zennode for: 7, 17, 20, 23

analyze 7, 17, 20, 23 for lock-ins and W1s and etc

copy in spectre's updated 29

map11, tag 80, blue key didn't open, perhaps a line skip?

map16, tag 4, lock-in

map18, linedefs 289-292 are WR teleport but with tag 0

map19, maybe no darkness or exit pain in coop?

map22, linedefs 39-41 are W1 teleports, need WR

map25, lock-ins need way through

map26, W1 at start needs to be WR

map26, death loop at start

map27, sector tags 22, 104 and 106 got in the way

map27 and 28 lagged too hard (reduce # of monsters?)

map31, death loop at start

map32, death loop at start

map21, fix bfg lock-in

map03, fix yellow key lock-in

An updated version of MAP28, based on the @elmle's Wild-Max playthrough. While the purpose of this version was to make wild difficulty more intense, I also made some minor changes for UV. So I re-recorded UV-Max demo for it, which is 41:31 long.

- Minor changes in layout to prevent some cheese strats.

- Added 100 more arch-viles for wild difficulty.

- Fixed the possible glitch that breaks the wild playthrough.

- Increased the amount of monsters on ultra-violence from 21,542 to 28,350

Click here to download

7 hours ago, antares031 said:

- Increased the amount of monsters on ultra-violence from 21,542 to 28,350

incredulous.gif

Just why?

1 hour ago, Catpho said:

Why why not?

As long as there's no limitation in monster count, I think there's nothing wrong with placing more monsters. And it's still possible to beat the level on UV-Max.

5 hours ago, antares031 said:

As long as there's no limitation in monster count, I think there's nothing wrong with placing more monsters. And it's still possible to beat the level on UV-Max.

I have a slaughter level that you might be interested in trying out (and most players have a hard time beating it due to the chaingunners). It is titled "Eyeball" (has over 29,000 enemies). It resembles an eyeball (black dot in the center, brown for the inner ring, and white for the outer ring).

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/eyeball