Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomedwarrior1981

Wad where you go through time

This kinda goes with Impie's thread anyone created a Megawad where you go through different time periods to stop the Hellspawn from screwing up history. I would love to play this if someone has

Eternal Doom had a time-travel storyline. I couldn't put up with the confusing level design and obtuse progression style, though, and I quit at map 18 or so.

Resurgence had a time-travel storyline, to a lesser degree, but it was all just tech and natural levels, so probably not what you're looking for.

Seriously, who plays Doom WADs for the story??

Not necessarily the story but I do love a bit of a theme sometimes. Eternal Doom I loved it to an extent but it needed more variety in the levels a few in medieval times was fine but got kind of sick of the medieval theme. Maybe it could have some levels in dinosaur times, some in Ancient Egypt, etc.

Eternal Doom had this pretty amazing premise by the time you get to MAP05: Time Gate. The computer monitors appear to communicate that you could accidentally send yourself to 100,000,000 B.C. Given how oppressive the atmosphere is, it was a pretty terrifying thought when I played it. However the rest of the megawad seems to lose its story direction afterwards.

Time travel is a great plot device for a project involving multiple mappers. Break a mapping team up into smaller groups, each work on their own isolated time period of their choosing, etc.

Resurgence has you travel hundreds of years forward in time at the end of map 20, and map 21 starts in a ruined, overgrown version of the same location.

38 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

Resurgence has you travel hundreds of years forward in time at the end of map 20, and map 21 starts in a ruined, overgrown version of the same location.

That was a pretty cool bit of continuity, I thought, but it's like the only two levels of the WAD that attempt to tell a story.

Disclaimer: I'm not criticizing: conveying a story in a Doom WAD is tough business...

Eternal Doom - MAP05 - Time Gate sends you to some time at the end of the map, there's three? different gates. 

Edited by DoomLover234 : I'm actually really stupid

How could I forget Ancient Aliens? It combines dimensional travel with time travel. There was a Meso-American / Egyptian themed episode, a space station episode, and finally an episode on the aliens' home planet (y'know, like a Hell episode in difficulty, but without all the red). Its themes actually do a really good job of conveying the story, IMO.

2 hours ago, Grazza said:

Osiris and Odyssey spring to mind.

Osiris isn't that based loosely off of Stargate which is supposed to represent dimensional travel not time travel of course I'm just splitting hairs the Ancient Egypt levels in Osiris were awesome looking.

It's just a single map, but Wicked Garden from PRCP is I think the most effective usage of time travel I've seen in a Doom map.

53 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

It's just a single map, but Wicked Garden from PRCP is I think the most effective usage of time travel I've seen in a Doom map.

If we're mentioning single maps, Resurgence map 31 had a cool time-travel bit as well.