Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xyzzу

[RELEASED!!] Confinement 256 CP

We've had Congestion 1024Congestion: 64Claustrophobia 1024 (and its sequel), Confinement 512Congestion 384, and numerous 2048 wads. It wouldn't hurt to add one more member to the family, right? ...Right?! I don't think I should even bother explaining what's going on with this megawad if most, if not all of you have played at least one of the above wads listed before. But in case you somehow don't know what the idea behind it is, the area of each map the player has access to can only as big as a 256x256 map unit square. To put that in perspective, that's only as big as the spider mastermind's hitbox!

Screenshot_Doom_20170616_224915.png.fac87cf403546a3dcd50254843349b2f.png

Everyone who contributed:

Jaws In Space -- "Journey Across The Techbase"

scifista42 -- "Cyberbox 256"

ShotgunDemolition -- "Arch-nemesis""Deadly Hell" and "Outdoors"

bzzrak -- "It's Gonna Be A Blast"

rdwpa -- "Trial of Blood"

axdoomer -- "Lifts To Your Death"

Pinchy -- "Confinement Beam"

dt_ -- "Population 256" and "Johnny Boy"

Obsidian -- "Room to Breathe"

Walter confetti -- "Microsystems", "Mutant Squirrels Ate My Nuts!", and "Madagascar" 

Mosshopper -- "The Shooting Range", "Tower'in Hell" and "Cage 'o' Demon""Underhalls 256""Ville De Blutdrach" and "Cloister"

Dragonfly -- "The High and the Low"

SArais -- "Inner Demons"

Jaska -- "Emerald Onslaught" and "Aggressor"

dobu gabu maru -- "Cruel Precision"

JudgeDeadd -- "Agitation" and "Turbulent Waters"

Voltcom9 -- "Malevolent Lodge"

Angry Saint -- "Small Cargo Starship"

Kapanyo -- "Cramped Crates" and "What The Hell"

Uncle 80 -- "Engine Core"

Redead-ITA -- "Down Up"

VIE-rus -- "Mad and Macabre"

Bauul -- "The Shuffling Madness"

HyperLuke -- "Gates to the Fleshvoid"

leodoom85 -- "Open Canyon"

Royal_Sir -- "Cooped Up"

DOWNLOAD:

Confinement 256 on /idgames

Everyone's maps as well as my own birthday give to you all. ;)

This mod is for GZDoom.

-------------------------

I would like to thank each and every one of you for sending your maps to this not-so-small mapset. I especially wold like to thank @Dragonfly and @Bauul for getting this up and going! You guys are the best! :) Man, I've never would've thought we would end up with 39 bite-sized levels, plus 22 more from me! That's sixty-one (61) maps!! I mean, jeez, does this count as a gigawad now?! :O Holy smokes...

Edited by Xyzzy01

12 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

This wad will be for ZDoom (since this is my first megawad, and at the time I started this, I didn't know much about modding and thought ZDoom format would be a nice starting point).

You have absolutely thought wrong my friend. ESPECIALLY if they're going to be mostly vanilla!

You should NEVER map in zdoom formats if you aren't going to make extensive use of zdoom format features friend. Since you've only got 6 more maps to go, I guess it is too late for that, though. Oh well, you can learn from your mistakes. :(

The screenshots look very promising however, it seems like every map will be almost like a puzzle of some sort, using neat gimmicks to make interesting gameplay. I actually got a very cyberdreams-type vibe from that second third screenshot. I'm excited, even if I'll be forced to use zdoom ;~;

What I mean is, every map is vanilla, but it can only be played in ZDoom, due to MAPINFO and a few custom textures. I didn't mean any ZDoom only features like 3D floors are in it. Sorry about that :(

7 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

What I mean is, every map is vanilla, but it can only be played in ZDoom, due to MAPINFO and a few custom textures. I didn't mean any ZDoom only features like 3D floors are in it. Sorry about that :(

No I am 100% aware of this. That's the very problem. That's why I said "You should NEVER map in zdoom formats if you aren't going to make extensive use of zdoom format features friend", friend. :P

Looks very cool! I'll be excited to check it out.

Also don't worry about targeting Zdoom. It's a great port and many people use it even for perfectly vanilla maps. 

10 minutes ago, bonnie said:

You should NEVER map in zdoom formats if you aren't going to make extensive use of zdoom format features friend

You... are joking, right?

Regardless, I think 256 is a very restricting area and will be impressed if any of the maps result in something playable. Good luck! :)

I agree with bonnie here to a degree; if a MAPINFO lump and some textures are the only 2 things that requires zDoom then that's kind of an epic fail, but also what 99.9% of us also did to one degree or another at one point in time :)

Considering it can be done with DeHackEd yeah, fair enough, but ultimately I believe if the author wants to target ZDoom, they can target ZDoom. I don't think someone telling them they should NEVER do their hobby the way they want to is a particularly fair response. I personally would like to see more ZDoom mods that are vanilla in their approach but make light, classy use of modern features in a seemingly vanilla way. :)

26 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Considering it can be done with DeHackEd yeah, fair enough, but ultimately I believe if the author wants to target ZDoom, they can target ZDoom. I don't think someone telling them they should NEVER do their hobby the way they want to is a particularly fair response.

They aren't doing this just for themselves, they're doing this for other people to play and enjoy with them. That's part of the hobby of doom mapping, finishing your map and giving it out for other people to play. By targeting zdoom and alienating a huge portion of people, they're kind of defeating the ultimate purpose of mapping in the first place, and for almost no gain, since they aren't making use of any zdoom features. If they were doing this just for themselves and maybe a few close friends to play, it would be perfectly acceptable to do whatever the heck they want, but in this case, the mapper wants other people in the community to play, so it wouldn't make sense to purposely do something like this.

Thankfully, however, this was just a newbie mapper mistake and not intentional at all, and I'm sure it's gonna be the best wad ever, so it's all good in the end my friend :)

nevermind i am an idiot dont listen to me

Edited by bonnie

To be fair, I've once considered DeHackEd, but I've never been able to produce one thing with it. It seems a bit confusing to me even with Enjay's tutorials. Maybe a slightly clearer way of explaining how the whole thing works to me?

8 minutes ago, bonnie said:

They aren't doing this just for themselves, they're doing this for other people to play and enjoy with them. That's part of the hobby of doom mapping, finishing your map and giving it out for other people to play. 

This is flat-out incorrect. We map for ourselves, with the hope, or possibly even goal, that others will enjoy our work, but it isn't a mapper's responsibility to please their players.

However, pleasing players does generally lead to good comments on our work, which feels good and is motivating while not pleasing them can lead to no comments at all, which can be quite demotivating. But that's all the mapper's prerogative when working on their own projects.

5 minutes ago, Fonze said:

This is flat-out incorrect. We map for ourselves, with the hope, or possibly even goal, that others will enjoy our work, but it isn't a mapper's responsibility to please their players.

well i guess i am mapping wrong then :(

8 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

To be fair, I've once considered DeHackEd, but I've never been able to produce one thing with it. It seems a bit confusing to me even with Enjay's tutorials. Maybe a slightly clearer way of explaining how the whole thing works to me?

it's not gonna happen. i had to completely teach myself how to use dehacked, nobody is really willing to help and i'm not confident enough in any of knowledge to actually pass it on or try to teach/explain it to anyone.

what do you need dehacked for exactly, anyway?

19 minutes ago, bonnie said:

what do you need dehacked for exactly, anyway?

That was before I decided to look to ZDoom's MAPINFO completely. Although, I do want to make a custom monster out of DeHackEd in the future.

49 minutes ago, bonnie said:

By targeting zdoom and alienating a huge portion of people

I have a sneaking suspicion this isn't really true outside of the bubble of Doomworld and the PRBoom+ faithful.  I watched a lot of streams of a limit-removing map I made that got a bit of mainstream attention, and the vast majority of players used GZDoom, often with a gameplay mod.

To be honest, there were so many people using GZDoom I've started putting a MAPINFO in all my maps (mostly to disable jumping, but there are other benefits) even if they're vanilla targeted, just because that's how most people will experience it.

Edit: That said, I do agree that if a map targets ZDoom there is the expectation that it'll utilize at least some ZDoom feature.  But I disagree it has to be a lot - something as simple as a MAPINFO or even just wanting to use non-square textures as flats is a good enough reason.  

Edited by Bauul

Lol, I honestly don't blame you for this! There are so many community projects these days, it makes my head spin. I've played your map and honestly, I deem it better and cooler than like 90% of my maps! Harder than I thought, it utilized the tiny space well. Also fun fact: I too tried to stick a computer terminal in a map, but I later felt it took too much of the already limited space, so I scrapped it. Even though this isn't a community project like you said, I'll still welcome any levels you guys decide to make!

I wonder if we ever reach that thing when people do maps on 32x64 . 

Ok,for the real serious note now,I would like to try test your mapset after you finish it. I think,limits trigger creativity and I see some cool stuff in screenshots.

4 hours ago, bonnie said:

You have absolutely thought wrong my friend. ESPECIALLY if they're going to be mostly vanilla!

You should NEVER map in zdoom formats if you aren't going to make extensive use of zdoom format features friend. Since you've only got 6 more maps to go, I guess it is too late for that, though. Oh well, you can learn from your mistakes. :(

The screenshots look very promising however, it seems like every map will be almost like a puzzle of some sort, using neat gimmicks to make interesting gameplay. I actually got a very cyberdreams-type vibe from that second third screenshot. I'm excited, even if I'll be forced to use zdoom ;~;

Dude, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using zdoom. You might need to use one single feature that isn't in another source port, or certain tricks might e hard or impossible in another source port. Since I have seen you support boom source ports so much, why do people use them? Why if they just have less useful features and gzdoom is better in almost every way? Not trying to start an argument, but it really doesn't matter what source port people use, (unless its for a crap source port like doom95 or 3DGE which don't work, or don't work with other source ports.)

1 hour ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Lol, I honestly don't blame you for this! There are so many community projects these days, it makes my head spin. I've played your map and honestly, I deem it better and cooler than like 90% of my maps! Harder than I thought, it utilized the tiny space well. Also fun fact: I too tried to stick a computer terminal in a map, but I later felt it took too much of the already limited space, so I scrapped it. Even though this isn't a community project like you said, I'll still welcome any levels you guys decide to make!

Ah glad you liked it, feel free to use my map if you wish. It's not like I've got anywhere else to put it :)

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

I have a sneaking suspicion this isn't really true outside of the bubble of Doomworld and the PRBoom+ faithful.

I am quite sure of that. Almost every single tutorial on how to get Doom running on modern PCs uses ZDoom or GZDoom. The same obviously happens with Brutal Doom, which is, to be fair, how some the newest blood started. Almost every single Youtuber uses those engines. I like PrBoom, but using it, compared to ZDoom is incredibly clunky.

I honestly wonder where PrBoom would be, were it not for the demo community, or if ZDoom had managed to have demo compatibility back in 2005.

7 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I personally would like to see more ZDoom mods that are vanilla in their approach but make light, classy use of modern features in a seemingly vanilla way. :)

I wonder if there is something like a "Vanilla ZDoom" of "Zvanilla", where the map respects the static limits of Visplane, Drawsegs, etc... but uses zdoom features like 3d floors, slopes, scripts and so on.

6 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Although, I do want to make a custom monster out of DeHackEd in the future

Just keep in mind you'll need to steal frames (states) from another monster(s) or object(s).  And the only unused thing you can replace from vanilla doom is the Lost Soul corpse.  I've been mucking around in DeHacked for the last year, and lemme tell you:  It's kind of a pain in the ass.
DeHacked for vanilla limitations, decorate and up for anything else.  There's really no reason to use it otherwise.

Looking forward to finally checking this out! I've been waiting for a year, dammit!

1 hour ago, Revae said:

And the only unused thing you can replace from vanilla doom is the Lost Soul corps

Also the second gibbed body, "Bloody Mess 2".

Oh god, that could easily be a super secret level of some sort! I am definitely not skilled enough to conquer this on UV. Anyone willing to make a demo of this? I like how the cyberdemons themselves are keeping the floor from going up. That's a mapping trick I almost never seen. Coincidentally enough, the only example I can think of is in Cyberdreams.  Great level, great challenge!

Short, sweet and to the point. Some texturing for the STARTAN walls and you have a nice little map that's already more detailed than what I did for some of the maps inside the square. Good!

If I was to make a little something for this project as everyone else is, I would like to know if I can use ZDoom features. A little bit of ZDoom ingenuity could make a single map have a lot more mileage. :D