Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xyzzу

[RELEASED!!] Confinement 256 CP

11 hours ago, HyperLuke said:

Thankyou, I also played your map, and I like the visuals and vertical use of space. 

In terms of mine, knowing its fun does make me feel good, but I would still like to know what I can do better, especially since I am starting out.

I agree with Dragonfly - your map is pretty good!  Nothing fundamental I'd change about it.

Couple of tiny nitpicks if I had to come up with something:

• The geometry of the pillars the Mancubi stand on are perhaps a little basic, but it's ok as you have a visually complex texture to make counteract it.  
  • The messages you flash up are cool, but are perhaps a little cheesy, especially given the design of the map isn't cheesy at all (it's pretty effective).  Perhaps next time think more Hannibal Lector and less Ivan Ooze. 

But generally very good job.  The part with the Demons running across the empty void was particularly effective, and something I am definitely stealing for the future!

14 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I don't know what I could say could be done better if I am honest - You had a plan and you executed it perfectly within the restrictions of the project. If you ask me, there's nothing to improve for this particular map. I could probably give you a more critical review on a 'proper map' that isn't intended for a project with insane limitations! :)

11 hours ago, Bauul said:

I agree with Dragonfly - your map is pretty good!  Nothing fundamental I'd change about it.

Couple of tiny nitpicks if I had to come up with something:

• The geometry of the pillars the Mancubi stand on are perhaps a little basic, but it's ok as you have a visually complex texture to make counteract it.  
  • The messages you flash up are cool, but are perhaps a little cheesy, especially given the design of the map isn't cheesy at all (it's pretty effective).  Perhaps next time think more Hannibal Lector and less Ivan Ooze. 

But generally very good job.  The part with the Demons running across the empty void was particularly effective, and something I am definitely stealing for the future!

Wow, I never expected this reaction, considering I myself thought it would be crap. 

I am open for suggestions on quotes or phrases that I could use to replace them, I guess I'm not the best at inspiring hopelessness in that way. Thank you @Dragonfly and @Bauul

I will experiment more with the atmosphere and slaughtermappy gameplay in future wads, I quite like it. Some extra textures might also help.

15 minutes ago, HyperLuke said:

I am open for suggestions on quotes or phrases that I could use to replace them, I guess I'm not the best at inspiring hopelessness in that way.

I think loneliness assists hopelessness, silence can often 'say more' to the player than words ever could. ;)

I only used 2 simple phrases, not too cheesy for a "story" on its own...

4 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I think loneliness assists hopelessness, silence can often 'say more' to the player than words ever could. ;)

Good point, you don't have to point everything out to the player, they find it out on my own. For that reason, I might remove the words entirely, focus on creating hopelessness through the gameplay and atmosphere

22 minutes ago, HyperLuke said:

Good point, you don't have to point everything out to the player, they find it out on my own. For that reason, I might remove the words entirely, focus on creating hopelessness through the gameplay and atmosphere

Just to play Devil's Advocate, I actually rather like using messages in a map that progresses through time rather than space, such as yours. They help reassure the player that they're successfully moving through the level when they can't physically go anywhere.

Exactly what you write is of course a personal thing, we can't write it for you, but I absolutely agree that less is more. And if you want to remove them altogether that's also cool.

I spent the day beta testing the compiled wad, and I have the say, I'm really excited about the variety and creativity of what we've all come up with!

Good thing that you beta-tested the whole wad.....just wondering how many times I'll die in this mapset when I'll play it...

Honestly, from my testing thus far - quite a few times haha. There's very few maps that feel outright unfair / too hard, however. You need to look at the high difficulty maps as a puzzle - how is this fight tackled safely?

You'll all hopefully be excited to hear that there will be OVER 50 MAPS! 

We're well on schedule to release this on the intended date as outlined in the OP, too.

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

Honestly, from my testing thus far - quite a few times haha. There's very few maps that feel outright unfair / too hard, however. You need to look at the high difficulty maps as a puzzle - how is this fight tackled safely?

You'll all hopefully be excited to hear that there will be OVER 50 MAPS! 

We're well on schedule to release this on the intended date as outlined in the OP, too.

"To win the game, you must not exceed the 256-limit boundary..."

That's some great news. And I'm looking forward to see the result of this...

Just realized I never gave feedback for the last two maps. My apologies.

@leodoom85 I really like how the map looks in general. That is a fine level of detail if I do say so myself. The gameplay was great and balanced as well with monsters attacking you from pretty much everywhere! Cool map!

@HyperLuke I like the dialog in this map, reminds me of Malcolm Betruger! The "micro-slaughter" in it I also enjoyed. Great and fun guns-ablazing romp!

On 2017-5-8 at 10:34 PM, Xyzzy01 said:

Man, I've never would've thought we would end up with 38 bite-sized levels, plus 22 more from me! That's sixty (60) maps!! I mean, jeez, does this count as a gigawad now?! :O Holy smokes...

On this note - for everyone else's knowledge mostly. The compile is now finished! From now until the release date; @Xyzzy01, @Bauul and myself are going to test every level on every difficulty (except ITYTD/NM, naturally). If we're able to locate any bugs, we'll squash them. :)

Four maps have been positioned as secret maps - as such, four other people's levels have received minor updates, each containing a secret exit! Even if you play your own level, be on the lookout! ;)

10 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

On this note - for everyone else's knowledge mostly. The compile is now finished! From now until the release date; @Xyzzy01, @Bauul and myself are going to test every level on every difficulty (except ITYTD/NM, naturally). If we're able to locate any bugs, we'll squash them. :)

Make sure to provide a list of the bugfixes, just in case they break something else...

On 6/10/2017 at 8:51 PM, Dragonfly said:

OVER 50 MAPS!

Well, I don't think that's a "megawad" anymore. "Ultrawad?" I would presume an "Uberwad" would have 100 maps.

50 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

The actual total is 61 maps, by the way. :P

Not far off a double megawad!  

If Megatron became Galvatron, perhaps this should be a Galvawad? :)

Welp, it's the 17th over here. GIVE WAD

=D

I can wait a few more hours, it's no biggie. And happy birthday Xyzzy01, from a fellow person born on the 17th :)

5 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

=D

I can wait a few more hours, it's no biggie. And happy birthday Xyzzy01, from a fellow person born on the 17th :)

We're literally doing final bug testing right now to get it ready for release. It's come down to the wire but we've got this!

Also to do mentions type @ and start writing the name of the person you're mentioning. Then click on their name when it appears in the little pop-up box.

I've handed what I believe is the final copy to Bauul and Xyzzy01. I'll let @Xyzzy01 have the honors of releasing this to the public as it's his project. (and his birthday, so happy birthday to you friend!)

2 hours ago, Obsidian said:

=D

56 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I've handed what I believe is the final copy to Bauul and Xyzzy01. I'll let @Xyzzy01 have the honors of releasing this to the public as it's his project. (and his birthday, so happy birthday to you friend!)

52 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

@Xyzzy01It's not 17 here yet but I'll tell you now. Happy birthday and here...have a 256 mm cake. 

Thank you all. I'm 19 by the way. :D

I just saw that the OP was updated with a download link! That means everyone can grab a copy now!

Thank you very much for participating everyone, this has been a fun project to work on with you all.

I'd like to echo Xyzzy01 and Dragonfly. It was a pleasure working you guys to get this ready, and I'm proud of the sheer quantity and diversity of maps we as a community produced in a relatively short period.

I hope everyone enjoys the maps as much as we do!

"That file isn’t here anymore 
Someone might’ve deleted the file or disabled the link."